Original Contents Of Caches

I think some people just do it out of their own choice.

Sometimes I think it's a nice thing, but if I'm racing for a FTF, I like to be surprised, and that really ruins the surprise.

What really makes me mad is the cache owners who put it on the cache page and then leave it there for months, even a year or more. When, undoubtedly the items are gone...

What really makes me mad is the cache owners who put it on the cache page and then leave it there for months, even a year or more. When, undoubtedly the items are gone...

I concur. When we do put the original cache contents we put it in a note so it falls off the page automatically and doesn't clutter the main description.

As to why it is put in is the same reason people say what they took and what they left. It's part the original way the game was played. I think it quickly became optional.

Hope this helps!

It is totally up to the cache owner, of course, whether they wish to list their cache's contents. I have a theory that the main reason why so many people do list the initial contents is because of the instructions for the "long description" of the new cache report form, which say:

Long Description

Details about the cache, including contents of the cache, what the container looks like, etc. You can be as brief or as detailed as you like.

If it's in the instructions, some people - and especially new hiders - try to follow the instructions as closely as possible.

Of course, as a cache reviewer, I may ask a question or two even if the exact contents of the cache aren't listed. If the cache name is "Billy Bob's Fun with Fireworks Cache", you can expect a delay in seeing your cache listed. :lol:

Of course, as a cache reviewer, I may ask a question or two even if the exact contents of the cache aren't listed. If the cache name is "Billy Bob's Fun with Fireworks Cache", you can expect a delay in seeing your cache listed. :lol:

Does this mean that my Bucket o' broken glass, razorblades and really, really sharp "tools" 'cache is going to be a problem??? :lol:

If it's in the instructions, some people - and especially new hiders - try to follow the instructions as closely as possible.

You are correct.

I just placed my first cache and I listed what was in it. :lol:

I will be sure to update or remove the list of Original Content as it changes.

I list them for a couple of reasons. First, I have several theme caches and the list indicates better what the theme is. Second, I like to put decent initial trade items in or FTF prizes, and listing those helps entice cachers to go get the cache quicker. Third, I want the reviewer and local cache seekers to know that I have a log book and no improper items in the cache.

It's traditional to itemize the swag, since the very first caches, back in 2000, were listed this way. But it often sounds silly & vainglorious when all the minutae is listed, and it wastes the bandwidth.

As a reasonable compromise, I often give a very short description / theme of the contents (such as "trinkets, coins, and fabric crafts paraphernalia"), plus a few details on the more covetable / FTFP stuff (e.g. listing gamepieces for local cache games with tyheir HTML links).

I hate being old......... :lol:

You're not old, you're just outdated :lol:

When we hide a new cache and list contents, we list them as "Typical cache contents" or "with some neat stuff inside." The wife has always stopped me from saying, "this cache is full of broken Mctoys and other 'lame' stuff. Remember to trade fair or trade up." :lol:

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can

I list the contents in brief for the benefit of cachers who make a point of trading even or up. It let's them know ahead of time what to expect.

Also, in response to the "vainglorious" comment, yes, that is a factor. Cache hiders do develop a rep for the caches they hide. There are a couple of cache hiders in my area whose caches I seek because they consistently hide the types of caches I like to find.

The point of that is if someone goes to one of my caches where the swag has been degraded by extensive swapping, I want them to know that is not the level of stuff they can expect to find from me.

Of course, as a cache reviewer, I may ask a question or two even if the exact contents of the cache aren't listed.  If the cache name is "Billy Bob's Fun with Fireworks Cache", you can expect a delay in seeing your cache listed.  :lol:

Darn, so much for my planned "All Things Sharp and Pointy" cache. <_<

I wrote this into the description for my "Operation Containment" themed cache:

This cache's name comes from the fact that it started out life stocked with things that are used to contain other things -- boxes, pouches, bowls, etc. Feel free to trade whatever sort of items you like. I'll reload a few theme items whenever I do maintenance on the cache. Signature items and travel bugs are always welcome, of course!
I think some people just do it out of their own choice.

Sometimes I think it's a nice thing, but if I'm racing for a FTF, I like to be surprised, and that really ruins the surprise.

That's interesting. I've been trying to make sure I have good FTF and figured listing it would entice people out sooner.

When we do put the original cache contents we put it in a note so it falls off the page automatically and doesn't clutter the main description.

As to why it is put in is the same reason people say what they took and what they left. It's part the original way the game was played. I think it quickly became optional.

Hope this helps!

That's a good idea. I'm going to do that when I hide my first. That way it stays in order with the rest of the logs as well.

I quit putting in what I took and what I left in my logs. For some reason, I just can't get it out of my head that if I say I left something really nice, that someone would revisit the cache for the sole purpose of taking my good item out. I don't like to entice the cache raiders any more than I have to.

See Pandy, I love reading what others have taken after I've been to a cache and left something. It's neat to me to see when stuff I've left is moved on by someone else.

Paula <_<

I know..I would love it to be like that too, if this was a perfect game and everyone played fairly. I know what you mean though. I do mention leaving sig items in my log but that's about it.

Oh brother, you must really LIKE to be mad about matters that you can't control and don't concern you. Let go Luke.... :P

Last year I found a packet of peanuts in a cache on the West coast. The cache was called Slide and it was almost 2 years old. Normally, I would 86 food the instant I see it, but in this case I didn't. The packet of peanuts was listed in the original contents at a time before food was banned.

That list had historical significance IMO and I plan to leave the lists on my caches alone. I could care less what anyone else thinks about it. It's MY cache.

Sn <_<:lol: gans

When we first started geocaching, we listed everything because we thought we were "following the rules". Things are a little different now than they were then! We soon discovered that the entire inventory changed after the first cacher! We had one cache that was virtually emptied out of all the very nice goodies and trashy items were left as a replacement by the first finder. So we don't list individual items anymore. Unless - it's a theme cache. That's a whole different story! They should be listed so cachers know what to take with them for trade items.

As cache owners, we enjoy seeing what people took and what they left. That could be because we've had no problems with cache raiders in this area. It also lets us know that if nothing worthwhile has been put in lately, that we need to go out and replenish the stock! And when we do put something good in the cache - we enjoy knowing that someone was pleased to find it!

i post whats in the cache because i usually do themed caches and dont want someone doing a "take a cd, leave a golfball" manuver. i sometimes put out premium items also so listing them on there creates a flurry! its fun!

It can be interesting to see what's changed over time. I'm resetting the end of a multi cache (due to construction) and went through the contents. It's over 2 years old, and a couple of the items are original!

In asking why keep something that old & out of date, why not carry it farther - why keep old logs, some of those people aren't caching any more, have moved away, etc., so why do we care who logged last year. Sounds silly doesn't it?