Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

Mr. Gadget are you committed to talking about projecting waypts at the event? And Nav has agreed to talk about gsak/paperless. Any takers on html or shall we table that for next time as Patudle's suggested? The library has space for us so we can schedule around their hours......y'all hash it out and let me know!

This is the one night this month I will not be able to make it. I have committed ourselves to attend our local Firefighters Awards banquet on Feb. 18th. Sorry, Gene

We have a friend visiting sometime between February 15 and 22, not sure of his arrival and departure dates but will get them soon. The dates could either help or preclude our being in Wenatchee on the 18th :)

The visitor is a confirmed muggle, we have cached on our way home after picking him up on prior visits, he is the "stay in the car" type :) At least he isn't the "stay in the car and sulk" type :)

We would like to be in on both paperless and HTML. We could use guidence on forum posting, too. (such as "where did our avitar go??)

We have a new hide in Wenatchee that we are trying to get up with HTML at the moment :D

Barnabirdy(s)

Edited by Barnabirdy(s)

I have a TB you can take to Austria with you. Are you flying out of here on Saturday or Seatac? If you are leaving from here I can give it to you at the airport Saturday. If not I can meet up with you some where and get it to you. It is the Blue Jet Travel Bug and he loves to fly. An Atlantic crossing will do him good. He can race the Navigator TB back to wenatchee.

Thanks

Jon

Hmmm!? Mr.E Cacher hit 65 Roses today and is looking forward to meeting the Misses. There sure are a lot of alter egos going on in this valley! How much shall we bet that Mr.E is really a Miss?

I will email Gadget and Nav about presenting at a mutually agreeable event time. Do we have any takers willing to chat about html and forum posting(hello? I still can't quote!) ? Ambrosia? XY? Tudles? Anyone else?

So nice of you to bring tb to Austria....but lets leave the Pinus TB here (hee heee heee)!

Navigaotr, I dropped the BLUE Jet travel bug in "Down aby the Riversde". I will give you the Jet on Saturday Morning so you dont have to go and get it. All you have to do is log the pickup. See you Saturday.

Sounds like the group I am traveling with are concerned about the weather and the possibility of a canceled flight out of Wenatchee. We may all drive over to Seattle early and catch the flight there. In that case I won't be at the airport Saturday morning. Plan B? I'm taking the day off tomorrow. Can you drop it off at my house? shall we meet somewhere? Should I come to your work tomorrow sometime?

Whereever and whenever the technical "event" happens, it should be at a place with wireless Internet access to demo GSAK and pocket querys. We can offer our home, though the drive may be a little long  :D  Barnabirdy(s)

Excellent idea! Yes the Birdy(s) finally joined the high speed internet set, but have they got cell phones yet? :lol: Yeah, didn't think so. So since the drive to Winthrop would be a little long, I offer up my place. I would be willing to make coffee and hide the kids, but I can't vouch for the dog, he'll still sniff your crotch and you'll leave with some "hairy" souveniers. ;)

Edit: I have WiFi if I didn't make that clear. I also have animals...2 legged and 4 legged...

Edited by robinego

We may be able to get the conference room at La Quinta motel for free. I talked to them today and (since my daughter works there too) we could reserve it for up to 2 hours no charge. Its a nice room, conference table and chairs, projector screen, and free wireless internet. So I thought I'd throw that out there as an option. We'll find out more in a day or two when my daughter has a chance to talk to the manager.

Not sure what happened, but go back to the profile page with your avatars, and make sure that the avatar you want is listed as 'current avatar' at the top right. And then immediately click the link 're-register the changes' and follow it through to the forums.

Does that fix it? :huh:

Edited by Ambrosia

Thanks everyone. Its nice to be able to read the congrats posts from the folks back home. ;) We drove from Linz to Graz today and I watched for geocaches along the way. I was hoping to see one pop up on my gps right off the freeway, but the closest was about a mile from the freeway. I didn't feel like dragging my coworkers off track, out into the cold 12 degrees, to look for a cache. Now that I'm in Graz I see there are about 3 caches near my hotel. The Austrians we are with want to come along, so tomorrow after work, we'll head up to the top of this hill that overlooks the city and find a cache or two. Gotta mix work with pleasure, right? In the 1500th cache yesterday, I dropped off a Navigator TB and Blue J's Super Jet TB. They are in a race back to Wenatchee. I thought about leaving his in the cache, and bringing mine back home and win the race, but thought that might be considered cheating. :rolleyes: If you want to watch their travels, here are the links:

Blue Jay's Super Jet TB

Navigatorz Navigator 016

Looks like you may have to register for access to the school bulletin, so here is the article in its entirety:

Arrgh matey: Treasures abound with GPS game

By: Debra Emery

Issue date: 2/3/06 Section: Outdoors

There are thousands of people all over the world looking for buried treasure every year. Although they might not find a chest of gold left by pirates, there is a very good chance they may find something else of value.

A growing outdoor game called geocaching (pronounced geo-cashing) involves the use of a Global Positioning System (GPS) to use coordinates to find a hidden treasure.

The treasure itself is called a cache and is generally put in a waterproof container and holds a logbook along with whatever objects the previous visitor left. That's right, to be able to take whatever treasure you may find, you are asked to add treasure of your own for the next geocacher. The hidden objects range from unique currency to antiques, toys, and books. What's found is not usually highly valued in the monetary sense. Rather, the searchers find excitement in the exploration of the area while looking for the cache.

"I enjoy the hunt, but what I really enjoy most about geocaching is that it brings me out into the great outdoors, to new areas and points of interest I may not have seen otherwise," said Mike Lawson, an avid geocacher from Wenatchee, Wash.

Sometimes the cache in itself is a local monument or attraction of interest. Lawson has hidden over 90 caches himself, and said: "I try not to hide a cache just for the sake of hiding one. I try to locate a cache so that it brings people to a great viewpoint or to a place where they can learn some local history. I have geocaches located at lookout towers in the Cascades [as well as] historical landmarks such as an abandoned tunnel on Stevens Pass." Most caches include a logbook where you can record your name as proof that you successfully found it.

Geocaching is essentially a technology-based game of hide-and-seek. Geocachers use the Internet to get coordinates for their hunt and then seek out the cache using a GPS system. Once it is found they can go back online and report to the owner of the cache that they found their treasure and share their searching experience.

This may sound easy, and some are quite simple to locate, but not always.

"The caches are ranked on their level of difficulty to locate from one being very easy to five being the most difficult," Lawson explained. "A five-star difficulty cache rating could mean a well-camouflaged cache or one located at the top of Mt. St. Helens. I have found a five star terrain cache at an island on the Wenatchee River normally only accessible by whitewater rafting."

There is also a variation of the game, which uses puzzle caches where the seekers must solve a puzzle to get the coordinates of their destination. This also increases its difficulty.

Even if you are not interested in geocaching for its own sake, the game is a good way to test out a GPS system and practice finding your way using the device. Unfortunately, GPS equipment can be expensive, costing up to $1,000. Gonzaga Outdoors, the organization on campus that would normally have such equipment, does not currently have enough support for this game to justify the expense of a GPS system. It is a somewhat new game, only becoming relatively widespread since 2000. However, a basic GPS system can be purchased at REI for as little as $80.

Once you have the system it is easy to use, Lawson said all you need to do is "enter the coordinates and follow the arrow."

This game is growing in popularity all over the world, with participants in more than 200 countries and over 23,000 different treasures to find.

Lawson has found nearly 1500 caches since he began three years ago in almost every county in the state of Washington, 13 other states and three countries. Because not all caches have obvious hiding places, it can take days to find just one strategically placed cache. There are also geocaching events where participants will gather in an area, such as one recently held in Bellingham. Lawson attended this and found over 70 caches and traveled almost 10 miles by foot in a single weekend.

Geocaching is growing in popularity in and around Spokane. Geocaching.com, a widely used Web site for the game, lists 155 caches within five miles of campus. The entire state of Washington holds nearly 7,000 caches according the same Web site.

Although most students have never heard of geocaching, several said they would be interested in trying it out.

"It sounds like fun and I think most students are adventurous and would enjoy it.," Becky Oelrich, a senior, said.

"I think it would be exciting to use a GPS to find a cool destination," freshman Katie Jackson said.

Geocaching is an intriguing concept that combines technology with outdoor adventure. If you are interested in taking up geocaching you can find out more information and search online for coordinates of hidden caches at Geocaching.com.

Team Wheezer (Appleton, WI) and hairycairy (Maple Valley) visited and enjoyed three days of their own personal "cache machine" here in the Wenatchee Valley. They must have gotten at least 50 caches here....if not more, and had a great time. I think I only got 9 but also had a great time! Team Wheezer got her 400th find at Old Chinese Labor Camp and hairycairy hit 200 at Signature II; both by Mr. Gadget. Hairycairy got their 1st, 100th and 200th finds all here!

Just wanted to thank each of you for your contribution to such a fun hobby. There were favorite views, historical info, hides, and containers..... I am sure they will be wanting to duplicate some of the local hides. Thanks Cache-cadians!

Thank you Cache-cadians for all the really cool geocaching we got to do in the last few days. A special thank you goes to Mr. Gadget for giving us a private tour of one of your ultimate caches. A BIG thank you goes out to the G-people for being our personal tour guides to the Wenatchee Valley. We had a blast and hope we can return the favor one day when you are visiting the "West side" or the "Frozen Tundra."

The Wheez

and hairycairy :huh:

There are a few note worthy acknowledgements that should be said which directly and indirectly involve the Cache cadians of recent.

#1 the news paper article and interview with The Navigatorz and geo caching. An other worthy expopsue of our sport to the outside world.

#2 GeoRoo has found 900 caches. Even if he is form the "WET SIDE" he has made a huge contribution for hiding caches in our neck of the woods.

#3 Ambrosia has here 800th cache find. Again she is trying to sneak by un-notice, Sorry it aint going to happen. good job "A

#4 Team wheezer and Hairycairy made mile stone caches finds while visiting thier daughter/sister this week. Thier 400th and 200th finds respectfully. I have in the past dubbed Team Wheezer "The Wisconsin Alienated Forces" for her inspired input on g-people recent hides. (this is now a standing joke between us) I had the great pleasure to meet her and her daughter while they were here on visit with g-people.

To all CONGRATS for a job well done. -G-

:ph34r: Mr. E please stop looking for me! If you are so desperate for a Miss please go looking for Miss Chievous and leave me alone. I have no desire for Mr Es. :blink:

dear cousin, how many times do I have to tell you that Im tired of your sloppy seconds. Besides, the latest one you sent over to me was so straight laced and boring. he reminded me of the principle in high school. I dont time for boys like that.

Happy 1 year anniversary Mr. Gadget! 758 finds and 41 hides, not bad! Thanks for your contribution to this fun hobby!

Wow! Has it been a year already? Congratulations ol buddy. Really enjoyed the geocaching adventures this past year (my 1200th on Wenatchee Mountain, the Olympic Delorme run, Entiat Ridge, and the Bellingham cache machine to name a few). I've also enjoyed your great caches. By the way, Old Chinese Labor Camp gets my vote for February Cache of the Month! Keep up the good work and looking forward to more adventures.

THanks. Been meaning to do that myself. I'm snowshoing to Clara Lake tomorrow AM with the Boy Scouts. I'll hide another cache up thereabouts to maybe entice more folks to venture up there.

What time are you going to be in the area. Tomorrow is the Hog Loppet cross ski event between Mission Ridge and Blewett Pass. Our snowmobile club does support for this event and assists the Chelan County Sheriff Office. I will be in the area. We are leaving the Bee Hive Road parking area around 0630 to 0700 hrs. After the last of the skiers pass our check point I was thinking about riding into Marion Lake from the Liberty Beehive Road. I hope I can find the trail . I should have saved the route on my GPS when I went into the lakes last June.

We were at the start of the road to Marion Lake last fall, on the motorcycle. Only the no motor vehicle sign ( Ms. Birdy's honesty) kept us from going in.

Here's an idea for next summer....

Suppose the Cache-Cadians hired a boat (unless you have one, Gadget, you have all the toys) :P and pick up all those caches along Lake Chelan from 25 mile up to Stehekin. It could be a great day adventure, if the wet siders hear of it we might need a barge!

K&A