Anyone Else Wear Camo When Hunting In The Woods

GeoSar

I am fairly well-known for wearing a combination of military olive drab and woodland camo as my "caching costume." It allows me to blend in with my surroundings, so that I can discreetly hunt for caches without being noticed or attracting attention. For example, see this photo from when I hunted a cache at a turnpike rest stop:

3777c73c-44a6-43c5-b325-0fedecb6dc24.jpg

Seriously, I prefer this clothing because it's comfortable and I feel like I "fit in" when in the woods. People who used to eye me suspiciously and ask what I was doing now think I am a forest ranger and ask me for directions! Or, they stay the heck away from me. I've never had a problem since I quit wearing "street clothes."

In areas open to hunting, I of course spoil the camo look by wearing a bright orange vest.

This second photo is a more normal representation of my appearance on a cache hunt:

1389993_400.jpg

Wearing blue or red around here in the woods in spring turkey season will get you shot too. Hunters see a spot of moving red or blue and think it's the head of a turkey and take a shot in that direction....not good.

I personally want the animals (bears, cougars and the like) to know I am coming and also other people hiding in the woods with their meth labs and marijuana stashes. No sense is getting eaten by a startled bear or shot by a startled meth lab operator because I wanted to be stealthy in the woods. (Not that we have bears here but we do have plenty of meth labs and pot stashes. I think I would rather meet up with a bear than a meth lab operator.) Make some noise, let them know you are coming. :lol:

Someone wandering the woods in camo around here is likely to raise suspicions. I think I'm less likely to be noticed if I'm dressed normally.

Someone wandering the woods dressed normally around here is likely to raise suspicions. I think I'm less likely to be noticed if I'm in camo.

:mad:

I always wear cammo of some nature when in the out of doors . It's the way that I was brought up , and it is none offensive to the surroundings. You'll see a lot more of nature if you fit in and don't stand out. The more you see the more you learn. :mad:

I usually have some sort of camo or olive drab on me while caching/hiking. I purchase alot of my supplies from army surplus stores because its cheaper than high priced namebrand items. I only wear my military clothing if I'm going on a very long adventure in a isolated area. It's comfortable, reliable, and puts me in outdoor survival mode. Other than that a nice pair of hiking pants usually does the trick though. My favorite piece of surplus is a OD tactical entry vest which I use all the time. It carries my platapus water blatter, and everything you could possibly need in the woods. Its better than a backpack because everything is accessible in a moments notice and it doesn't shift or sway even when running.

Wearing blue or red around here in the woods in spring turkey season will get you shot too. Hunters see a spot of moving red or blue and think it's the head of a turkey and take a shot in that direction....not good.

To add to PandyBat just remember "Red, White, and Blue" are colors not to wear in the woods. White can get you mistaken for the white tail of a deer.

Another reason I like camo pants (genuine GI) is they are more durable than other types of clothing. Double layered knees and rear.

I personally want the animals (bears, cougars and the like) to know I am coming and also other people hiding in the woods with their meth labs and marijuana stashes. No sense is getting eaten by a startled bear or shot by a startled meth lab operator.... I think I would rather meet up with a bear than a meth lab operator.

That's right PandyBat... that's why I take a cop with me when I'm out in the woods looking for a cache. :)

I constantly wear BDU's no matter if I am caching or not. I personally like the durability, number of pockets, price, and feel of them. I can see why the military uses these types of clothing. I also have a pair of military boots that are completely waterproof. I will quite often blouse the pants and tuck them into the boots to try and keep ticks and bugs out. I also wear a matte black hat to provide some head protection to hope that ticks will not find their way into the hair. I also purchased waterproof camouflaged jacket and pants for rainy day caching. It was funny because I have gotten plenty of odd looks and actually was asked once or twice if I was an Army Ranger because of the gear I had. Thankfully, I have had no officials bother me. Walking around with a big smile and friendly personality helps quite a bit when dressed this way.