Cache Bandits?

kone

I haven't started geocaching yet but have been reading a lot about it and am thinking of getting a GPS for this purpose. Is there a major problem with cache bandits, by which I mean people that just go around and get all the free stuff because they don't like to play fair? If this is not a problem yet, is there a worry it will become one once geocaching gets even more popular?

Around my neighborhood we have an ammo box thief who leaves the contents but takes the box. So most of us have gone back to plastic containers. Overall it isn't a serious problem.

Wow, how cheap is that. The gas and time that it took to get that ammo box probably cost as much as if they'd order some themselves.

--RuffRidr

All the more reason to camoflauge your container. A determined person will always get what he/she is after. I'm getting ready to hide an ammo box in a public park. I want to make sure it will not be found accidently (no bomb squad). I'm going to spend a little time applying a camoflauge paint scheme to my box that will blend right in to the area. This cache once it is placed will rate a 3 or 3 1/2 difficulty for concealement.

My Cache of choice is plastic buckets (I work in a bakery so get them for free) painting doesn't work very well on plastic, Does anyone know of a souce of Camo duct tape? I am in a rather arid area so Green Green won't do.

I am rather new (one year) have placed three. Have not been plundered but how about this for a bandit. I wanted the finder to open the container and go WOW with the variety of items, so I put a lot of thought into it to make a wide selection of inexpensive trinkets. Well one team found it and took 3 items and left 3 keychains.

This cache once it is placed will rate a 3 or 3 1/2 difficulty for concealement.

That would be quite an accomplishment to hide an ammo box well enough to be worthy of 3 or 3.5 stars. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've yet to encounter one. Remember, the definition for 3 star difficulty is (italics are mine): "An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon."

My Cache of choice is plastic buckets (I work in a bakery so get them for free) painting doesn't work very well on plastic, Does anyone know of a souce of Camo duct tape? I am in a rather arid area so Green Green won't do.

I am rather new (one year) have placed three. Have not been plundered but how about this for a bandit. I wanted the finder to open the container and go WOW with the variety of items, so I put a lot of thought into it to make a wide selection of inexpensive trinkets. Well one team found it and took 3 items and left 3 keychains.

The only camo duct tape I've seen is primarily green, but there is camo cloth tape that comes in a variety of colors and patterns. It can be found most places that sell hunting supplies. The only problem is that it's not real cheap and it would likely take a few rolls to camo a large bucket...probably making it cheaper to use an ammo box in the end. I've read that Krylon sells a paint for plastics, but I wouldn't know where to buy it. Perhaps their website may list dealers.

There will always be issues but the question is, can you foil those darned bandits ?

Though you can't stop a determined cache thief who is armed with a GPS and after your cache, there are ways to reduce the chance of your cache being stolen by muggles. A good camo job reduces the chance of it being found accidently, but its more important to find a good hiding spot off the beaten path. I've found many caches where I knew their life would be a short one because of where and how it was hidden. If you see a lot of broken beer bottles around, fire rings or other evidence of partying teens, its not a good spot. If its a popular lookout, waterfall or other scenic area, its not a good spot. In those instances, place the cache far enough away, where someone wandering into the woods for a "bathroom break", a little romantic rendezvous, or maybe to smoke some illegal smokes, won't stumble on your cache.

Try to avoid the URPs and UPOS in popular areas (unnatural rock piles and unnatural piles of sticks). If they look unnatural enough, rather than concealing your cache, they may attract attention. In these areas, try to use natural hiding spots like rock crevices and hollow stumps.

Also, fit your cache to the area. If it is a popular area, don't try to place large containers like ammo boxes and buckets. Save the larger containers for more remote areas.

Finally, if people looking for your cache will be in view of homes, offices, passersby, or if the presence of cachers cause the neighbor's dogs to bark, your cache is screaming to be stolen. I've found a number of caches where I was in full view of someone's living room window, or office. Most of these were eventually stolen.

Edited by briansnat

I know it exists because I have a roll. It's not here with me so I don't remember the pattern ,but it has the typical leaves green/brown etc.

I don't remember where I bought it but I got it locally at a store, so I'm guessing WalMart or Lowes Home Improvement.

I also know there is paint made for painting on plastic, so you might want to look for that also.

Eswau

My Cache of choice is plastic buckets (I work in a bakery so get them for free) painting doesn't work very well on plastic,

I think there is a spraypaint that is specifically made for painting plastic. I can't remember the brand name however... :ph34r:

Edited by SnowLeopard
My Cache of choice is plastic buckets (I work in a bakery so get them for free) painting doesn't work very well on plastic,

I think there is a spraypaint that is specifically made for painting plastic. I can't remember the brand name however... :ph34r:

Krylon's "Fusion" line, IIRC

I bought some of this Fusion spray paint and sprayed two plastic cache containers. One I have placed, the other is still sitting around the house, waiting for a quality spot to be found. I'll let you know in about a year how the paint holds up. It seemed to go on real good. I used Criminal's method of painting camouflage.

Yah, the "Fusion" works pretty well. I use it as a primer coat for the "Ultra Flat" camo paint. I get both at Wal Mart. Of course, it seems that they are getting rid of the camo now that hunting season is over. Picked up a couple of cans for $1.97 each!

My Cache of choice is plastic buckets (I work in a bakery so get them for free) painting doesn't work very well on plastic, [

I bought some of this Fusion spray paint and sprayed two plastic cache containers. One I have placed, the other is still sitting around the house, waiting for a quality spot to be found. I'll let you know in about a year how the paint holds up. It seemed to go on real good. I used Criminal's method of painting camouflage.

Thanks, I tried using what spraypaint I already had in the garage, but it didn't "Stick" very well, I will try the Krylon "Fusion".

I've always enjoyed watching the science TV shows showing the "State of the Art" of camouflage and would like to see how good I can get it. Base coat of paint then cover with a netting with native vegitation to break up the outline.

This cache once it is placed will rate a 3 or 3 1/2 difficulty for concealment.

That would be quite an accomplishment to hide an ammo box well enough to be worthy of 3 or 3.5 stars. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've yet to encounter one. Remember, the definition for 3 star difficulty is (italics are mine): "An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon."

It took Sissy and I at least a couple of hours to find an ammo can down in FL. It was in an outdoor sports park--soccer fields, skate park, hiking/running trails--and ended up being 2 feet off the trail and within 25' of where the coords kept zeroing out. We hunted for about an hour or so, read the logs which said the coords were off, and then called a local for help. The logs said so-and-so's coords in his log were dead-on, but of course that's more than 5 logs ago (another highlight of the problem with PQ's). We were given the updated coords which only put us a little closer to the final spot.

The area was palmetto scrub and pine. The pine needles created a nice even blanket on the ground. To make a long story short, the can was under 6 inches of pine needles in a natural stump hole. The needles hid the hole. The only way we found it was to systematically probe deeply through the needles with our walking sticks until we heard the distinctive thud of ammo can. The can was not on its side, in fact, it was on its end which actually gave me a smaller target to hit. I could have easily missed the can in my probing.

Logs reveal locals taking 2, 3, and 4 trips to find it.

So, yes, I can say you can have a 3+ traditional hidden in a popular park. It just takes the right environment.