Drive Time Maps

4agers

I was messing around tonight with MapPoint and found this to be a pretty cool feature. I've been plotting my gpx files to this for a little while... but this will bring trip planning to the next level.

Tan = 30 Min Drive time

Yellow = 45 Min Drive time

Orange = 1 Hour Drive time

drivetimes.jpg

Edited by 4agers
I was messing around tonight with MapPoint and found this to be a pretty cool feature. I've been plotting my gpx files to this for a little while... but this will bring trip planning to the next level.

Tan = 30 Min Drive time

Yellow = 45 Min Drive time

Orange = 1 Hour Drive time

Bahahaha! I just created a 45min zone (655 caches) centered on my home and then selected "add pushpins as stops." I had it calculate the route...

summary.gif

:lol:

Streets and Trips will do this as well. We were just planning our summer vacation last night and plopped in 6 hours and saw where we could drive to in that time.

Wow! I didn't know S&T could do that? I just checked, and you're right. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Thanks,

--RuffRidr

How much does Streets & Trips and/or Mappoint cost now a days?

BestBuy.com lists MS Streets & Trips 2004 for $39.99 and MS Mappoint 2004 for $299.99

Hmmm...think I'll stick with Streets & Trips......shop around/look for rebates and you can get Streets & Trips even cheaper than that.

BestBuy.com lists MS Streets & Trips 2004 for $39.99 and MS Mappoint 2004 for $299.99

Hmmm...think I'll stick with Streets & Trips......shop around/look for rebates and you can get Streets & Trips even cheaper than that.

Cause everyone knows how great IV Warrior is with smart shopping....

Especially when it comes to FRS radios with rebates...

But that seems like a pretty good price... But I'm saving up for a new camera, so it's sort of out of my league. But does the online version do that?

Edited by TeamK-9

What the main differences between Streets & Trips and Mappoint??

Obviously there is a large $$ difference...

I believe Mappoint has an open API where you can write other programs to interface with it.

--RuffRidr

a nifty way to make a little webpage for browsing caches with drive time zones with MS Streets & Trips 2004 is...

in streets -> Tools > Create Drivetime Zone (check "zones under streets" and "fill zone"), then color the zone using the draw toolbar on the bottom of the screen, go ahead and create as many as you like...

Then use GSAK and export a CSV File for Streets and Trips. in streets use, Data -> Data Import Wizard -> and import your CSV file, leaving the links to each page intact.

You can then zoom the map to a level you'd like to see, then use, File -> Save as Webpage.

Make sure to check "include hyperlinks" when saving as webpage, then open the saved webpage. You can click each one of your pushpins for each geocache and visit the cache page for that cache.

Hmm... I think that feature *might* be in the 2003 version also. I'm not certain which version I have (it's copyright 2003, version 11.00.18.1900). It might be the 2004 version though.

Anyway, it's hard to find that feature -- it wasn't on my Tools menu. Here's what I did:

Create a Route Start Point.

Right-click on the "1" (on the map), and pick "Create Drive Time Zone".

This will let you enter the number of minutes. You can do that multiple times, and change the color and stack-order (so the larger zones are on the bottom) using the menus at the bottom of the application.

Pretty cool, definitely a feature I didn't know about, thanks for pointing it out!

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/info/default.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/2004/benefits.mspx

MP is business oriented, with features that the average consumer wouldn't need (including the API already mentioned by RuffRidr).

I picked up a copy of Streets and Maps tonight at Offficemax for $29.98. The OfficeMax website shows a $10.00 Instant Rebate off the regular price of $39.98. I had the printed copy from the website with me to get the instant rebate. It didn't show up at the register as being available. There is an additional mail-in rebate of $10.00 from Microsoft. So, my final price should be $19.98. I downloaded Geobuddy to convert my loc files to csv which S&T can read. :D

Wow! You guys are great! The Drive Time Maps are awesome! :D

I have S&T 2003 and not in a million years would I have figured out by myself how to it. I would have given up trying after about a half an hour.

Costco still has S&T for $15.95 after the rebate which is what I paid.

Thanks

Pat

Cache on the spot

Edited by Cache on the spot
I have S&T 2003 and not in a million years would I have figured out by myself how to it. I would have given up trying after about a half an hour.

Ok.. I have S&T 2003, but I still can't find this feature. Could someone walk me through it very carefully?

Jamie

Could someone tell me if there is any way for Microsoft Streets and Trips to work with a Sony CLIE? I installed Microsoft ActiveSync on my computer, but then when it tried to detect my Sony, it couldn't find it. I don't know if this is because Sony is not a Microsoft driven PDA. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MS S & T says you can use the pocket version for your PPC. Is there a version for Palm OS?

I hear it'll be available at the same time as Office for Linux and Exchange for Solaris. :)

Unless a court tells them to, they're not likely to be writing any software for a competing operating system...