How Many

SFTB

Because it's nice to get a little recognition for your landmarks?

Well, I think it's nice anyway.

Admitedly, the 100s are so common now, it's becoming a little less 'special' but why not celebrate? It's hard work.

When you've found another 98 caches, you'll probably be pretty pleased with yourself.

Cheers,

Stu

Because it's nice to get a little recognition for your landmarks?

Well, I think it's nice anyway.

Admitedly, the 100s are so common now, it's becoming a little less 'special' but why not celebrate? It's hard work.

When you've found another 98 caches, you'll probably be pretty pleased with yourself.

Cheers,

Stu

I agree... Its like operations alloperations are major when it involves you personally. Geocachers start out and either quickly get hooked or decide "its not for me" or continue. The thrill(?) of finding your first cache or your 25 or your 100 etc etc...doesnt really diminish otherwise you would have stopped. Personally I dont bother counting (hehehe the web site does it for me ) but it is nice to look an d see "jings is that how mnany I've done??????"

Its the getting out there that matters. WHOOSH!

Edited by spioradsaor

Another thing I thought of while driving back after lunch...

Geocaching is so wonderful that if you want it to be, then it _is_ a race. If you don't want it to be, then it isn't.

If you're not interested in your numbers, then don't pay attention to them.

Our personal goals are 100 per year. That means we generally take it easy, but might be heading for a quick marathon just before our cachiversary. I'm not sure what happens if we reach 200 before September... maybe put our feet up, maybe go for some more hides... maybe just happily sail past the 200 mark.

Other people have their own goals, and so they should.

Sorry SFTB but this is serious competition. A cacher lives, sleeps, eats and drinks Geocaching. It's all about making that find and grabbing that TB on the way to work, on the way home from work and during the lunch hour. Weekend caching starts on the way home from work on Friday and doesn't finish until arriving back at work on Monday. Public Holidays are a bonus as up for grabs is another day caching and hundreds of points for COTM.

Posting of cachers milestones on the forum keeps you up to date on the competitors and the need to put in that extra nights caching midweek to keep ahead of the pack.

This is not a Sunday afternoon leisure time stroll in the park activity but a cut throat, slide tackling, shoulder barging rampage through the British countryside.

Can I suggest SFTB, you rethink your approach to Geocaching and possibly up your game? A pair of running shoes and a good torch should help you on your way.

Good luck.

I find it a little annoying - 11 of the first 18 topics (ATMIT) are "well done.......100/200 etc."

Maybe there could be another location to do the back slapping?

I know; "don't read them if you don't like them...", but some days this seems to be all you get on the UK forum.

Just beware! In this ultra competitive environment of Geocaching a pat on the back is really a stealthy reconnaissance for where to put the knife in!

I think you missed your medication? :(

I'm actually bitter and twisted 'cos no one hugged me when I got to 100.... :(

Still, I know where the caches are..........

(edited - didn't read right)

Edited by crr003

I started my own thread to pat myself on the back when I reached 25 caches....now I'm over 50, and never thought I'd get that far with it.......I have my own reasons to be proud of my accomplishments, and it's not the numbers, it's the effort. Those who know me and have read my drivel posts know what I'm talking about.

Sue & I can relate to the originator! We have only logged 20+ finds in 3 years - and some of them were abroad! Why are we so slow? Because we normally cycle 20-25 miles to the cache and back again. This gives us different destinations and routes rather than bimbling round the same old places. Roll on Summer!

Now that we have "done" most of East Anglia around us, we are now having to use the car to bring further outlying caches into range.

We are not fanatical about it, when we have visitors, we often take them geo-geeking or to a previously visited cache because usually they are in good places to visit. The cache spices up the trip, especially for the younger members.

As some-one else said "Each to his own" - as long as we all get enjoyment from the game. That's the main thing. :D

...and Sparky-Watts! over 4,000 posts in less than 6 months! That's over 750 a month! How do you have time to go caching? Perhaps we should start congratulating people on their 1000th...2000th... post? Hey! I'm coming up on my big 50. :D

As some-one else said "Each to his own" - as long as we all get enjoyment from the game. That's the main thing. :D

That about sums it up for me too.

Fortunately most congratulatory topics can easily be recognised from the title enabling us to skim past if in a hurry and maybe a recognised icon could make that easier - how about it Jeremy?

true, the UK boards do get filled up with congratulatory threads.

true, Geocaching is what you make of it.

true, perhaps you did start this thread for your ego or perhaps just to stir it up?

but it does shows a good sense of community spirit, i mean how many times have you said "well done" to someone you don't know?

...and Sparky-Watts! over 4,000 posts in less than 6 months! That's over 750 a month! How do you have time to go caching? Perhaps we should start congratulating people on their 1000th...2000th... post?

Well, actually, Smurf-boy had a thread for people that hit 2000 posts....but generally, folks here tend to frown on my post count, and seem to think I post just to get it higher.....oh, and congratulations on the big Five-Oh!!!! :D:D:D

Again, for the folks here that know me and my current situation, they also understand why I can post so much, and simply put, it's because of health problems that often prevent me from getting out to cache.....but I still do it anyway, and pay for it for the next three days! That's why I'm proud of my accomplishments, and I'm sure others have their own reasons to be proud of theirs. Yup, caching is whatever you make of it. Some like the numbers, and live or die by them, others like the hunt. To each his/her own, so long as you're enjoying yourselves, what else matters, eh? ;)

...at least it gets you out in the fresh air!

Me! I find it's the job that gets in the way. Fortunately for me, retirement (at a spritely 55 years of age I hastily add) beckons in couple of years. Once we have stopped our nomadic life and finally settled down somewhere still to be determined, we can get down to some serious cycling around... and a bit more caching on the side too.

Sparky, you just post away to your heart's content, we certainly will not mind on this side of the pond.

Oh! Got to go, a Windows critical update has finally finished downloading (takes forever on a 56k modem)

It seems odd at first, but as one becomes acquainted with the UK forum, one realizes that it is part of the culture that has evolved here. I think it has less to do with the numbers and more to do with the good feeling it gives the members. Each of the forums has developed a certain unique character. It would feel strange to drop in here and not see these posts. :D

I think it because it a small community, last month was the first time there was over 1000 ACTIVE UK cachers in a month and there are only 3115 active Caches.

Unless I have missed anybody there are only 50 people in the UK with over 200 finds UK Hall of fame

I think its good to give a slap on the back (No Knifes Pyoung1s :D )

I think it because it a small community, last month was the first time there was over 1000 ACTIVE UK cachers in a month and there are only 3115 active Caches.

Unless I have missed anybody there are only 50 people in the UK with over 200 finds UK Hall of fame

I think its good to give a slap on the back (No Knifes Pyoung1s :D )

I think it needs an update, we passed 300 about a month ago :D

WoodSmoke

I think its good to give a slap on the back (No Knifes Pyoung1s  B)  )

WoodSmoke

If he's getting the data from GCUK......foreign finds don't count. :D

I think its good to give a slap on the back (No Knifes Pyoung1s  B)  )

WoodSmoke

If he's getting the data from GCUK......foreign finds don't count. :D

If you look at the bottom of the page it says

"This table use ALL finds including locationless and ones not in the UK"

WoodSmoke

If he's getting the data from GCUK......foreign finds don't count.  :D

If you look at the bottom of the page it says

"This table use ALL finds including locationless and ones not in the UK"

WoodSmoke

Hmm, I see that now.....

On GCUK stats page it says "Please note only caching within the UK contributes to the information listed below"

GCUK gives me 138 finds, but GC.com gives me 146 due to foreign finds.

That's what I was thinking - I saw you've got US/French finds.

i think there will also be more congratulatory posts as more people get hooked on the sport - I know since November I knew no geocachers, I now know 3 others in the same office, my parents, 1 other family and two other people who have expressed an interest in getting a gps. ALL of these (including me) have started since November and it doesn't take *that* long to get to 100 - well at least for those who work part time!

Not meaning to be a "good old days" comment but there are those of us who can remember when there were less that 100 caches in the whole country and it was a question of waiting for a cache to come in range rather than how many in a day. And a long distance journey was spiced when you found there was one within x miles of your route. Its no less fun but rather less of a challenge. And I for one welcome all the new friends I have made along the way - usually its still nice people and nice places to visit.

I think its good to give a slap on the back (No Knifes Pyoung1s  :D  )

I think it needs an update, we passed 300 about a month ago :lol:

WoodSmoke

Opps and just seen I have Jessex down as 200 plus finds and there on 500 plus :P:D Sorry Jessex :P will you lot slow down I cant keep up :P:D

Edited by Deego