Looking for a Moun10Bike Geocoin?

Moun10Bike

This was fun! It was like looking at those old Where's Waldo puzzles. Trying to find your MTB Geo-Coin! :o

I don't know how particular you want to be. I have #131 (my treasured coin!) sitting here in front of me. I think you show it North of Everett? It is actually a mile or so West of Richmond Beach. But mine isn't going anywhere!

It doesn't matter to me. I just was answering you request for input!

;) Donna

Edited by Wienerdog
Cool.

I'm going to try and get that one at Dream Lake later this spring.

I'll be sure to write my will first.

Just take a buddy wiht you. Not a cache to do solo. I promise though, it will be worth the workout and the bushwacking and possibly wading, depending on time of year you get it.

I'm going to have to talk my wife into going with me. I don't want another cacher, unless we agree that I get the coin! :o

Otherwise it's me and Chewie and an emergency beacon.

Hey, wait a second...There's only one green star in western Washington! Does this mean that if I want a geocoin, I have to pry it out of the hot, sweaty fingers of a geocacher?

Of course, Wienerdog has hers sitting there on her desk and she just lives up the road...hmm....

:o

I don't know how particular you want to be. I have #131 (my treasured coin!) sitting here in front of me. I think you show it North of Everett? It is actually a mile or so West of Richmond Beach.

What, you mean you tossed it out into the Sound!?! :o;) Seriously, I simply pulled the location of the cache in which each coin was last seen. #131 came out of KIDNK9, so that's why it shows up there. I'd put the coordinates of your home address, but I didn't figure that you'd want coin seekers showing up at all hours banging on your door (Seth! ;))!

The process of going through the coins led to some interesting observations. There are several cachers holding multiple coins. I don't mind if people want to keep a coin, but I'd sure like them to move some of their duplicates.

Not only is there only one is Western Washington, there are only two in the whole world, if I read the map correctly.

That is correct. There are several that have moved recently, though, so I'm hoping that there are more than two that haven't yet reached the end of their road.

The one in Eastern Washington should have an asterisk. The cache it was placed in was archived, but there was no indication that the coin was ever taken. If you look through the logs, you'll see that the coin didn't fit inside the container, so the holder hid it in the cap. It might still be there if people didn't know to look for it. Of course, any hope for it rests on the cache still being there. There is a possibility that it may be - the owner archived almost all of his caches at once, and in at least some cases the caches were still there weeks and months later.

Here's the status of the coins I have found:

104 I found in Puyallup Hobo Jungle and gave to Herr Fritz...He dropped it off in New Mexico.

117 I found with Circuit Rider at Iron Horse...He still has it.

143 I found at Echo Rock and gave to hunkofgod ..He still has it in Italy.

152 I found at Woodard Bay and gave it to BeefCider...He still has it.

172 I found at Iron Horse -Hansen Creek and I still have it.

My Dad Wild Turkey found

014 In a cache in St George, Utah... he placed it in Arizona...It was last seen near Lima, Peru.

I'm going to have to talk my wife into going with me. I don't want another cacher, unless we agree that I get the coin!  ;)

Hey, I'd love to join you! No worries about me taking the coin! :o

Cool.

I'll have to start coming up with some possible dates for an excursion like that.

Is the best approach via Highway 2? I remember going camping below Goldmeyer Hot Springs and the access road that went towards Dream Lake was closed due to severe damage. Of course that was 3 years ago and that could have changed.

GEM's, I knew that you had found a lot of coins, but I also knew that you had moved most of them on. I was just scratching my head at the fact that there are several people who have collected 2 or more but have never moved them on. I'm not sure if they forgot to log them or what, but I'm tempted to email and ask if they could part with some.

I'm going to have to talk my wife into going with me. I don't want another cacher, unless we agree that I get the coin!  ;)

Hey, I'd love to join you! No worries about me taking the coin! :o

Cool.

I'll have to start coming up with some possible dates for an excursion like that.

Is the best approach via Highway 2? I remember going camping below Goldmeyer Hot Springs and the access road that went towards Dream Lake was closed due to severe damage. Of course that was 3 years ago and that could have changed.

I just answered my own question by looking at the way EGH went in after I looked over the map. Looks like as tough as it is, EGH's route was the best way in. So is that road repaired now? Were you able to park up close to the creek? I was actually thinking about camping up that way again this year. I was disappointed not to get to the Alpine lakes up in that area the last time when I first started my forays like this.

I think if you email a Cacher and asked them in your normal, polite, Moun10Bike way to move one coin... they would.

I'd be reluctant...but if you asked me to move #172..I would..after all they are all yours...just like any other travel bug...only better :o

TL, it's a 5 mile hike to Big Creek bridge and then the scramble to the lake. You have to taek the Middle Fk Snoqualmie road out of N bend and park at the Taylor River Road trailhead. I'd recommend campoing at Big creek and going for the lake the next day bright and early

Regarding MTB coins, I've found 7 of them:

109, 129, 130,136,139,151, and his last placed coin 197.

I'll keep 197 and 129. I've moved the others along. 129 was placed at a cache just before the new one he planted up on Tiger Mt. celebrating his 500 cache at the time. 197 came out of that wonderful cache, The Maze cache up on the Samm Plateau.

Thanks EGH. You confirmed my suspicions. I'm intrigued but not enough for this year. All my gear is based on car camping. I may just camp off of Middle Fork again below the hot springs and hike up to Snow and Gem Lake from the backside if I have my daughter with me (There's a raccoon there I want to settle an old score with too :o ). Otherwise, I'll probably head north and go for Granite Falls that I ended up cancelling last year.

GEM's, you keep that coin! And EGH!, you too! I don't mind if people keep them - in fact, I offer that in the description for each coin. It just surprised me to see that there were people who I didn't even realize had ever grabbed a coin holding onto 2, 3 or more. Again, I don't mind if people keep them, and I doubt that I could ever bring myself to actually email them asking them to move them on, but I have to admit wishing that they would move along at least one of the many they've grabbed.

I don't know how particular you want to be. I have #131 (my treasured coin!) sitting here in front of me. I think you show it North of Everett? It is actually a mile or so West of Richmond Beach.

What, you mean you tossed it out into the Sound!?! :P;) Seriously, I simply pulled the location of the cache in which each coin was last seen. #131 came out of KIDNK9, so that's why it shows up there. I'd put the coordinates of your home address, but I didn't figure that you'd want coin seekers showing up at all hours banging on your door (Seth! :o)!

The process of going through the coins led to some interesting observations. There are several cachers holding multiple coins. I don't mind if people want to keep a coin, but I'd sure like them to move some of their duplicates.

:o Big duh on me!

Funny MTB! You caught that quick. Okay I get my left and rights confused too! I also still count on my fingers!

East of Richmond Beach. Thanks for the X PLANE HING. ;)

TL, it's a 5 mile hike to Big Creek bridge and then the scramble to the lake. You have to taek the Middle Fk Snoqualmie road out of N bend and park at the Taylor River Road trailhead. I'd recommend campoing at Big creek and going for the lake the next day bright and early

I've been looking at trail reports for Dream Lake. None sound pleasant.

But, it may be the only way for me to earn an old Moun10bike geocoin.

Having done "Not Quite So Dreamy" I have an idea about what it is going to take to get to "Dreamy"! You better want that Coin real bad! There is trail to the Big Creek Bridge then it is a game trail at best to Not Quite, then the brush wall! I posted some pictures to give an indication of the brush!

The choices are a challenge 1.) Timing so that snowline is just below No Quite so one can walk over the brush. 2.) Wade the creek like EGH! 3.) push your way through slide Alder!

Yes, I am dreaming of my attempt; not for the coin but for the fun! Demented, yes!!! :rolleyes:

The choices are a challenge 1.) Timing so that snowline is just below No Quite so one can walk over the brush.

I thought about that. I wonder when that would be. I need to do some research.

Going up the creek doesn't sound to pleasant.

neither the brush beating...choose your poison man! There is a coing up there awaiting the first finder though.

Looking at the map all around Dream Lake, the topography is the best going up the creek. Every other direction looks very daunting. And as for walking on top of the brush in the snow...you have to think about the deepness of the snow to dig through to get to the cache.

I suppose if there were a group going, I could modify the gear I normally take to do an overnighter or two providing the weather is good and there is no snow to deal with. I'm encouraged only because runhills managed to take his dogs with him and I don't want to leave my buddy behind.

Edited by TotemLake
Is there any way to search for which coins I've logged? None show in my TB list.

That would be interesting information. All that I collected while putting together my maps was the final location and owner of each coin; a list of people who have touched each coin would take a bit more work, but it's info that I would like to have.

I do remember one of the coins you touched, however, as I saw your log when researching the history of each coin. It was #084 (see log here). I had not set geocoins #071-100 up for tracking initially as they disappeared so frequently, but that led to confusion. For that reason I retroactively activated them after they had already been dispersed. Yoiu must have handled this coin during the time when it was not a traveller.

Contact me if you would like this coin added to your TB/geocoin history - it is currently in an unknown location and never had any logs made against it.

Hey Moun10Bike--

I still have #112, which I did not find on the map anywhere. You can put it as being located, oh, how about in the Puyallup fairgrounds? That would be close enough to my location.

Thanks again for all the cool things you do for the geocaching world. :rolleyes:

LindaLu

Is there any way to search for which coins I've logged?  None show in my TB list.

I do remember one of the coins you touched, however, as I saw your log when researching the history of each coin. It was #084 ... Contact me if you would like this coin added to your TB/geocoin history - it is currently in an unknown location and never had any logs made against it.

I don't know how I did it, but based on the log of mine that you found, I glanced at the list of 56 caches I'd found before Commuter Wave, guessed that Let's Do The Time Warp was the one I picked it up from, and... success!

In an odd twist of fate, I was at that archived cache site today, following my same footsteps, hunting Centauri Alliance: Martian Probe #11

I'm afraid the second geocoin I found may have gotten lost in my house fire. Once we get in to start digging out the contents (can you believe it's been six months already, and Farmers Insurance -- hint hint -- hasn't even made an offer to start things moving along yet!?), I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it. It was probably on my desk.

Adding it to my history would be nice.

Edited by travisl
I found an error. The maps show you've never placed a coin anywhere near Grays and Willapa Harbors. We have some great caches down here that are definitely coinworthy. :P

:rolleyes: Believe me, I want to make it down there! I have heard too many great stories about the caches in the area from EraSeek to avoid it for much longer! :ph34r:

I still have #112, which I did not find on the map anywhere. You can put it as being located, oh, how about in the Puyallup fairgrounds? That would be close enough to my location.

LINDA!!!! You're still alive! I thought that you had disappeared from the game! Nice to see you back!!

#112 is actually on the map - take a look down by Mt. Rainier. It is there along with #113 and #199. That was the location of The Search, which is where I handed off those coins. #112 went to you (I can't remember the details), while #199 went to the Groundspeak archives. Which reminds me...

...there's another geocoin out there in a geocache!!!! I completely forgot about it! #113 is in a cache down at the site of where The Search was held. It is what was supposed to be the "memorial" cache for the event. It was put together with items we all donated and then hidden by the organizer of the event, Tom Reynolds. However, he soon changed jobs and posting the cache wasn't a priority for him. So, that cache sits down there - complete with coin #113, a Travel Bug or two, and other assorted items - forgotten!

I have the coordinates for that cache (given to me by slinger91). I want it posted, but I need to find someone willing to adopt it and perform maintenance on it. Any takers? If it is still there, there may be a coin in it! :rolleyes:

Yep, it's me! I took a break from caching (kind of got burned out, and have been doing a lot of birding) and then misplaced my etrex (I know it's somewhere around here). :D

I recently got an Ique and while it is tons better for driving than for caching, it actually does pretty good.

I'll post a note on the WA Geocaching list soon to let everyone know what I'm up to....

Isn't that a great cache? It is definitely going on my list of favorites!

FYI, I've updated the maps of geocoin locations. The new one on Point Roberts is shown. I also found out that #113 is gone, although the cache it was supposed to be in is there (thanks GEM's!). I have also found out that #124, which was the one over near Spokane, is also missing (thanks MedicOne!). Lastly, another one, #060, is back in circulation in eastern Kentucky.

GC2FC2.

I was 0.2 miles away on Friday. If only I'd known...

I had planned on going to this one but decided against it a the last minute. If only I'd chosen differently I could have found a Moun10Bike coin AND perhaps saved myself from getting my car and body searched at customs. Oh well, at least I was able to finish the quinfecta of all 5 Western Washington Webcams! :D

If only I'd chosen differently I could have found a Moun10Bike coin AND perhaps saved myself from getting my car and body searched at customs.

and at this log, he wrote:

On the way back across the border they wanted to know the name of who I roomed with (not sure why). I mentioned Travis' name and the next thing I know my car is being searched and my face against the wall while I'm being frisked. Big fun. Note to self: never admit to knowing Travis

:D When I left the grumpy border guard on Sunday, I shot out of there like a bat out of hell as soon as he handed my my license and birth certificate back. ''Whereabouts in Lakewood do you live? What's the nearest major street? Gravelly Lake Drive?" I think he said I could go, but in retrospect, I may have misinterpreted his grunt.

Should I be keeping my eye out for the black helicopters now?

Isn't that a great cache? It is definitely going on my list of favorites!

Looking back on it I think it was one of the finest scenic caches I've ever done. And it was so beautiful on Sunday...short sleeve weather!

When I left the grumpy border guard on Sunday, I shot out of there like a bat out of hell as soon as he handed my my license and birth certificate back. ''Whereabouts in Lakewood do you live? What's the nearest major street? Gravelly Lake Drive?" I think he said I could go, but in retrospect, I may have misinterpreted his grunt.

Should I be keeping my eye out for the black helicopters now?

I can't believe you guys such bad experiences at the border. The customs guys were fast and courteous with me. The US guy at Pt Roberts even gave me a map and was amused that an American was visiting. (The map proved very helpful in getting to the caches there). The US guy at the Peace Arch asked just 2 questions and took all of 15 seconds with me. Go figure.

Oh, I had no problem either direction at Point Roberts. Coming down was speedy; going back into Canada, it was a five second "Where you going?" and "How long?". Didn't even take my ID to look at it.

My crossing into Canada on Friday at the Arch was a little more involved -- in addition to the "where" and "how long", he wanted my job title and employer's name, and to know the last time I visited Canada (answer: the Victoria Cache Machine!).

Coming back down on Sunday, though, that was when I was given the third degree.

Hmmm... did Gaviidae come through the same lane? After me or before me? I came down through the far left lane, just after 10:00 a.m.