Banning

HartClimbs

I mean did BP stab a fellow geocacher?

I don't think it needs to be a stabbing to qualify. Hydee said Users are banned for a major violation of the Terms of Use of the site. Now I don't know what he considers major, but the TOS are very broad.

Under section 4, paragraph (a), uploading any content that is embarrassing or otherwise objectionable to any other person is a violation.

Technically, even speeding on the highway could get you banned. Under paragraph (i), you agree not to violate any applicable local or state law. (doesn't say while geocaching).

Obviously these are silly examples, but they are technically accurate examples of TOS violations.

I agree that it should be between the admin should not violate the banned user's privacy by posting why the user was banned, but due to the fact that the user is banned, he or she also can't tell us why. Even given that it's a private site and we have no rights other than what the owners give us, we're just used to free speech and seeing someone gagged and silenced without a public reason scares us because we know we could be next.

also can't tell us why. Even given that it's a private site and we have no rights other than what the owners give us, we're just used to free speech and seeing someone gagged and silenced without a public reason scares us because we know we could be next.

Nah, being banned from a private website is not an abridgement of free speech. BP ought to start a blog. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what happened with BP, but I do know that it takes some doing to get banned from this website. There are a lot of troublemakers who've been suspended, or banned from the forums, but I can't think of many who were totally banned from the website. So I have to think there is more to this than meets the eye.

I'm sure banning people from the forums is not something TPTB take lightly. I can only assume it was not a knee jerk reaction to ban someone from the entire site. I'm sure in time it will all surface and hopefully resolved.

So who the heck is NJ Admin?! I thought for sure I had it figured out. :)

I'm not sure what happened with BP, but I do know that it takes some doing to get banned from this website. There are a lot of troublemakers who've been suspended, or banned from the forums, but I can't think of many who were totally banned from the website. So I have to think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Ditto. I've been modded for forum abuse but never banned from the forums let alone geocaching.

Well...That explains why I have been seeing his logs in caches but not online. He is a tough man to beat to a cache, thats for sure!! Banning his account is certainly not going to stop him from caching so I really don't understand what it proves. Just a little inconvenience for him at most. He's welcome to log my three caches, I know he found them and reguardless of what name he uses now, its the same BP to me ;-)

Kar of TS!!

I have tried to keep out of this issue considering it’s none of my business. But after reading this thread I feel I need to make a few simple observations.

A. We all know the account of Bassoonpilot has been banned from the website

B. GC.com has stated that they will not discuss the matter.

C. A new account called Bassoon_Pilot has posted in the forums and on TB logs.

D. Bassoonpilot has the email address of most of the local cachers. In fact he works near me.

E. If he really wanted to air this in public he could email any one of us.

F. GC.com obviously knows about the Bassoon_Pilot account

G. The Bassoon_Pilot account is not banned.

H. The Bassoon_pilot account can obviously read and post to the forums.

I hope by putting these few facts in perspective we can all see that this is none of anyone’s business but GC.com and BP.

I respectfully request that Hart locks this thread. I don’t think we need any excuse in the Northeast forum to turn it into a litter box and market research forum like the General forum has become.

I have tried to keep out of this issue considering it’s none of my business. But after reading this thread I feel I need to make a few simple observations.

D. Bassoonpilot has the email address of most of the local cachers. In fact he works near me.

I hope by putting these few facts in perspective we can all see that this is none of anyone’s business but GC.com and BP.

I respectfully request that Hart locks this thread. I don’t think we need any excuse in the Northeast forum to turn it into a litter box and market research forum like the General forum has become.

I was hoping someone else would bring up the fact that BP does, in fact, have a sock puppet account that is still active, and therefore he could, if he wanted, reply to any or all of the above posts in this thread. Thanks for doing so, Harrald. And for perhaps the second time in all my thousands of posts, I agree with Harrald.... :) ....this thread is really serving no purpose but to continually add unfair conjecture and rumor to someone who appears to be both well-liked and greatly hated among his peers for a number of different reasons. Personally, I don't know the full story on his ban, nor do I care at this point. If he is banned, yet still has a known sock-puppet account that isn't banned, then perhaps there is more to this than anyone but the admin know....and it should stay that way. I must say, after some of the PM's and emails I've received from BP, I respect his ability to keep quiet on the sock-puppet account, as I didn't think he was capable of that.

I think Harrald has pretty much summed thinks up. Interesting discussion, but maybe we should respect BS's privacy and GC.com's policy.