Verification When You Can't Sign The Logbook

So, you've just hiked in to the cache, open it up, and the logbook is full, wet, missing, or unsignable for any reason.

What are some acceptable means for leaving your "signature" or proof that you retrieved and opened the cache container?

Many cachers already use letterboxing stamps, and other means to sign the log, but what if there just isn't a useable piece of paper in the cache?

You did find and open it. That should count as a find. You have no control over the condition of the cache.

I hardly think most cache owners would object if you used a burnt twig to write when no pen can be had, or left a signed business card if the logbook was full or missing. So, what are some of the the methods for verification that you as cache owners would accept instead of a signature in the logbook.

Finally, should any or all of these methods be accepted even if the logbook is available?

Once the log sheet in a micro cache was soaking wet, and I couldn't write anything on it. I just tore a small piece of paper from the printout I carried, signed it, and slipped it in to verify my visit.

I did a similar thing when the container (also micro) was frozen to the ground so that I only could open the lid slightly, but couldn't get anything out of the canister. Again, signed a separate pice of paper, rolled it, and slipped it in the container.

Neither of the owners complained about that kind of workaround, and I'd accept it if someone did something similar at one of my caches.

When I found caches with a good log, but no pen, I've signed with the lit end of a cigar, a piece of stone and a stick dipped in mud. The one cache I found with a logbook that was too soaked to sign, I just left a business card and photograpned my wife holding the cache.

Most of the time however, I find that I'm able to sign the logbook, even if that means just my initials, no matter how wet it is. A ballpoint, or felt tip pen works better than a pencil.

I once did a cache with the container was frozen solid into it's hiding spot and e-mailed the cache owner to let them know the condition of the cache and that I was unable to signed the log.

I've done caches where both the log was completely missing or irreparably damaged or totally full. In all cases I've replaced the log with a notebook or a temporary log and then let the cache owner know that the log had either been replaced or needs to be replace.

That's all I have to say about that.

Happy caching and stuff! <_<

Wet logs get signed with a Sharpie or gel pen. I turn to the back so the bleed doesn't ruin other entries.

You can almost always find a place to sign a "full" logbook, even if it's a tiny square somewhere, anywhere, in the book.

Never cached without a pen after our first letterbox.

Always, if there is a problem signing, notify the owner of what you did and why. He can go out to verify and repair the cache.

If all else fails, carefully remember as many of the details as possible. Describe the problem and the cache to the owner and he might let you claim the find.

On one cache I visited, the pen/penci was missing, or never existed, and I didn't have one with me...not even in the car. Since I'm not creative enough to have thought about dipping a stick in the mud or anything (great idea BTW!!) I dropped a dime in there that I had in my pocket. I then logged online, the date and mint of the coin. Also for extra verification I took notes as to the contents of the cache, and features of the surrounding area, just in case the owner questioned me. And no, I didn't take anything as a swap for the dime. <_<

IMHO it is up to the owner....

This weekend we were visiting another city, and went to search out a cache near our hotel. Well, there was a great big rock frozen in front of the cache opening, and there was no way short of a blow torch we could get it out...

I snapped a pic of the kids at the cache site, and e-mailed the owner. I asked him to verify that I was indeed there by the picture, and if that was the case if it was OK with him if I logged it as a find.

He was OK with that so I was happy.

If he had said no... that even though I was at the correct place, he felt because we couldn't get the cache out that it wasn't a find, I would have respected that too. I would have been a little disappointed but would have understood.

Your cache, your rules!

Scott

Basically, my intention in posting this thread is to hash out which means of verification would be universally accepted by cachers everywhere in the event signing the logbook is impossible, for whatever reason. The photograph does give positive proof, but could give away details about how the cache is hidden.

In another recent thread, Renegade Knight mentioned a possible set of "tournament rules" or a code of conduct for competitive caching. While any of the means mentioned above and combined with the cache owner's permission would not violate the basic caching guidelines, it might be worth considering which alternate means of verification could be used when caching competitively. I'm sure most owners (myself included) wouldn't take issue with any of the above mentioned methods of verification, but having a list of prefferred alternatives somewhere could be helpful when cachers encounter unsignable logs.

For instance, if the logbook is missing leave a new or temporary one. If that isn't an available option (you're four miles out with no notebook in your pack) leave any scrap of paper with your signature, etc. No pen or paper? Leave item you can describe in detail to the cache owner, or describe details of the container's contents (because you must open it to truly find it).

These are just some thoughts.

I left my signature sticker on one - and a business card in another. I visited one but left no proof of presence and still have yet to go back to sign it. That was during a game recon mission and my cohort and I didn't want to let on that we found it, but we did take pictures of where we found it. I'll probably head back to sign it but it wasn't really significant enough for me to go out of my way to do that. Merely placed a note in the on-line log that I found it but didn't sign it.

I found 1 that had a full log book. I managed to squeeze my signature in it. But from that day forward, I carry some spare log books. If nothing else, it's a temporary replacement until the owner can swap it out. You can get them for about 25¢ each at Walmart, Target, etc. These aren't ones you want to put in your cache, but they work just fine as a temporary replacement.

As far as someone calling you on it. Most of the caches that I've found that had un-signable log books, the owner is inactive. That's not to say that it doesn't happen to an active cacher, but for the most part, active cachers keep up with their caches pretty well.

F_M