Are We Fasion Snobs?

I recently posted this over on the GPS Software forum. Basically, its a geocaching proof PDA solution.

To my surprise, the complaints weren't about its price or features... they were about its looks!

Now, I'm not saying the comments weren't justified (in fact, it definitely isnt the most attractive device...). But, to dismiss it because of its looks? Isn't the caching crowd one that usually turns a blind eye to fashion? I mean, ain't we the geeks out there on the side of a road, butt in the air head stuck in a bush muttering under our breath profanities I won't repeat here?

When considering cache equipment, are looks a major factor in your decision?

edit: fasHion, geez sorry bout that...

Edited by CacheCreatures

looks sell. If it looks like crap are you going to buy it? A good example, your buying a car and say they blotched the paint job, it wont effect performance but are you going to buy that one vs the same one for the same price with a perfect paint job?

The unit does look good, but use i think they could have made it a bit more 'attractive'.

aj

Being the first person to complain about it's looks on the other thread, I would like to justify my opinion... Well, maybe not justify, but elaborate a little bit.

To me, this picture specifically, made the PDA look like it was a test model. It looks like a normal PDA, coated with a layer of clay, or Play-Doh, DOWN TO THE COLOR! B)

Like when they make a clay model of a car, before production starts.

159056_2000.jpg

I'm all for quality over everything else. I like it when things are "overbuilt" and feel very dense and strong. Not being a big eTrex fan, but like how those feel (you get what I mean? Or Benchmade Knives, you can just feel the quallity.

Anyway, that PDA is the most rediculous thing I have ever seen. It looks like it would be all bendable or something.

Anyway, as I said in my previous post, if they are very well built, and very solid, I would definitely use one if I had the need. If there was a better looking one, but that wasnt as quality built, I would still pick that ugly thing. Maybe I would spraypaint it black! :P

B) It's still ugly and I would have to look at it if it was in my hand! :P

Appearances make the difference in sales and that's the point that I was trying to make. Really, people are less likely to be interested in something that doesn't appeal to the eye. It's a very basic selling point when designing stuff for the masses. B)

YELLOWSTRAIGHTON.gif

This one is something I could live with.

No one complained about the price, because it's so outrageously rediculous, no one needed to. I would never pay that much for a normal PPC in a red/yellow/green condom.

Another funny thing. Red, yellow, and green, are the Rastafarian colors. Coincidence?

marleystore_1763_549805.gif

Edited by SBPhishy

I'd Buy the thing just because of its color and "ugliness". Its color would stick out like a sore thumb, making it easier to find on my cluttered desk, counter, back seat, etc.

It looks like something playskool would make, which diminishes its appeal to sticky fingered individuals, in case I turn my head momentarily. Like hiding a diamond ring in a sardine can.

Cool. Does it come with a free PDA ? B) I'll take one.

I gave my otterbox a workout today. I tossed it in the hot tub and it floats. I dunked it a couple times then let it float for a few minutes. It didn't leak a drop, there was no moisture inside the case and I could even use it underwater.

otterbox.jpg

You may think its weird to use a PPC in the hot tub but I love ebooks and I like to read in the hot tub, now I can. I can also surf the web and chat in IRC using my wireless from the hot tub. Plus the big reason I bought it is so that I can take my PPC into the woods without without worrying as much about wrecking it.

Well I paid $750 (now its about $650) for my ipaq which is what made me nervous taking it caching. I feel a lot safer with it in this case. So far the only problem with the case is that the fingerprint security doesn't work when its in the case. Its a very minor thing though since I don't leave it in the case for extended periods of time and getting in and out is simple.

I gave my otterbox a workout today. I tossed it in the hot tub and it floats. I dunked it a couple times then let it float for a few minutes. It didn't leak a drop, there was no moisture inside the case and I could even use it underwater.

otterbox.jpg

You may think its weird to use a PPC in the hot tub but I love ebooks and I like to read in the hot tub, now I can. I can also surf the web and chat in IRC using my wireless from the hot tub. Plus the big reason I bought it is so that I can take my PPC into the woods without without worrying as much about wrecking it.

thats cool, where do you get them? How well do they work?

22 to go

Edited by wildearth2001

When searching for caching gear . . . I go utilitarian . . . if it looks good then okay . . . but chances are it's going to get knocked around, beat up or dropped anyway. Who cares what it looks like?

That is my opinion . . . and I'm sticking to it!

Happy caching and stuff! :D