Multi Stage Question

Lafrog

Do you mean have both the multi and the traditional cache active at the same time and have the same coordinates listed for both? No, that would violate GC.com's 0.10-mile-distance-between-caches rule, I'm thinking. You could have the multi be a bonus cache, though, that isn't listed on GC.com. The finders of the traditional cache would be given the coordinates for the next stage of the multi only when they find the traditional's container.

I would try it and just post a note when you submit the cache explaining that it is just the start of a multi. Then let them kmow how far away the next stage or final location will be from the first part. You never know unless you try it you could also send an email to your local approver and run it past them first.

I believe even stages of a multi must abide by the .1 mile rule, in relation to other caches. Stages can be less than .1 from other stages of the same multi, but must be .1 mile from other caches.

The .1 mile rule applies directly to the actual location of the physical cache container (final location). So a multi's waypoints can be within feet of an existing cache. It just depends on how they are set up. If you work with your local approver and let them know how you are setting it up then it should be no problem.

You could expand on your existing cache, by changing it to a multi, the first stage would be the old cache, then the instructions would lead them to the second stage and so on.

The .1 mile rule applies directly to the actual location of the physical cache container (final location). So a multi's waypoints can be within feet of an existing cache.

Huh?

Most reviewers ask for the coordinates of ALL stages for a multicache, in order to avoid interference with existing caches. IV Warrior correctly stated the rule, at least as I apply it when reviewing caches.

To answer the OP, you can set up a mystery cache that requires completion of the existing cache in order to get the coords for the second mystery cache. But if they are located close together, why not make the whole thing into one multicache?

The .1 mile rule applies directly to the actual location of the physical cache container (final location).    So a multi's waypoints can be within feet of an existing cache.

Huh?

No Huh's about it!

What is the difference between a Cache and a Waypoint?? They are not clearly defined in our guidelines.

It does not say in our guidelines that waypoints must be .10 from any caches, only to let the approver know where the coordinates are. Maybe another approver could chime in and give us a second opion as to the location and defination of waypoints and caches.

Cache Saturation

The approvers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, ...

Multi-Caches

Please provide the coordinates of all waypoints in the “note to reviewer” section of the cache report form when submitting a multi-cache.

The Old Vacquero is 230ft. away The Stroll. and those caches share some of the same waypoints but wind up about 10 miles apart from each other. So it must be the final coordinates and not the waypoints that make the distance factor come alive.

"Waypoint" was perhaps not the best term to use in the document, but most people understand that they're referring to individual stages in non-traditional caches (multi-caches, mysteries, etc.).

Can you find caches where this rule is violated? Of course. No system is perfect. And there are permitted exceptions to the 1/10th rule, as mentioned in the guidelines.

My friend has placed a 5 leg multi cache, where every leg is it's own cache. We have also placed 2 other 2 part caches. They arent listed as multis, but you have to find the other legs, before you can find the last one. The coords are in the logbook of the first cache. Or in the case of the 5 leg, there was a piece of the final coords in each cache.

Just submit a new multi cache, with the first leg left out. Then add a link, and write it on the old cache page that this is now the leg for a new multi.

Most reviewers ask for the coordinates of ALL stages for a multicache, in order to avoid interference with existing caches. IV Warrior correctly stated the rule, at least as I apply it when reviewing caches.

I think there should be some flexibility here. The reason for this rule is to avoid saturation. Just because a stage of a multi brings you within .1 mile of another cache doesn't necessarily mean there will be saturation. As Tahosa pointed out, the caches could be miles apart.

I do see the potential problems created by stages of different caches being too close together, but 200 feet apart should make that a non issue. If the stages are50 feet apart, that's another story.

lafrag, you always run into difficulty of people finding the standars and then starting on your multi if it's not the starting point.

but that area is so dense and you are clever enough that you might as well start the dang thing in the parking lot. remember the photo i posted when shen ku was near it? if i were you, i'd put a stage there, just for a giggle.

anyway, people will go to your single. they really will. have patience.

and your multi will be FABULOUS, i'm sure. is there any reason it HAS to se the other cache at all?

Why couldn't two different multi's use the same historical marker or monument or any fixed object as a waypoint? Saturation isn't there, and I don't see how confusion would enter into it. You'll get the info you're told to get and move on. Would make for some interesting multi's :D Just a thought.