National Geographic Topo

blocko1000

I would like to map out some caches in the state of Washington for when I go up there on vacation later this year. I want to use NG Topo for this. I was wondering if anyone knew if you can rent software somewhere? I really dont want to buy it because I only go up there about once a year. Thanks for the help and info.

This question reminds me of living in the silicon valley in the '80's. There actually was a store in town that rented software. Their approach was for you to "try it before you buy it." This was before hard drives were common in home computers, and applications were on a single floppy that you inserted when you wanted to use it. Copy protection was also in it's infancy. Needless to say, renters quickly built up their software libraries at a fraction of the cost of buying it!

I don't think the store was in business for more than a year or two. As hard drives evolved, applications got bigger, spanned more than one floppy, and had to actually be installed before you could run them. There was no way to guarantee that applications were being "unistalled" after the rental period was over, and I think they may have had some legal problems from software companies.

I suppose rental software could be feasable today with applications run directly from the cd-rom or dvd-rom. I don't know that software companies would be on board with that idea since they obvioisly make money from selling more copies.

Edited by gbod
I want to use NG Topo for this. I was wondering if anyone knew if you can rent software somewhere? I really dont want to buy it because I only go up there about once a year.

It sounds like your best bet is going to be finding a Nat'l Geo Topo Kiosk.

From there you can print out the maps you need w/o having to buy the software. No, it won't be free, but probaby cheaper than buying the software.

-=-

michelle

does anyone want to let me borrow a copy of NG Topo

I'm looking for the same sort of "deal" for Ohio. I have Pennsylvania care of LocalHikes.com and have purchased Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Now I don't have to money to get Ohio for some bike trails and caching I want to do there.

I would like to map out some caches in the state of Washington for when I go up there on vacation later this year. I want to use NG Topo for this. I was wondering if anyone knew if you can rent software somewhere? I really dont want to buy it because I only go up there about once a year. Thanks for the help and info.

You have an REI store in Reno and up my way those stores have a computer Topo map kiosk in them.