Gpsmap 60c Firmware V3.00

Mythos

this is not unusual for Garmin - they had a very nice update recently for the 2610 as well. many of the product deficiencies pointed out by others on this and other boards do get addressed. not all, but many. keep sending Garmin your suggestions - you might be pleasantly surprised...

On the firmware update website there is another download that instructs:

"If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this POI database."

I did that, and it removed all but six of the icons in the Find menu, but it added the tide tool for US.

So then I re-installed my mapsource maps, and now the tide info (Marine POIs) is gone. Does anyone know whether I needed to install this update, or if we can get the tide info onthe GPS WITH the Mapsource info?

"If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this POI database."

I did that, and it removed all but six of the icons in the Find menu, but it added the tide tool for US. 

So then I re-installed my mapsource maps, and now the tide info (Marine POIs) is gone.  Does anyone know whether I needed to install this update, or if we can get the tide info onthe GPS WITH the Mapsource info?

Well AFAIK, it hasn't been discussed, just mentioned :lol: I need to do some testing to see what is there and what isnt.

EDIT: I deleted all the maps for my area and just installed a 1meg map in S. Dakota or somewhere. I still had the exit poi from the basemap for my area. It would have been bonehead of Garmin to do otherwise, but I was worried. :lol: It would be nice of Garmin to give the marine poi database (if thats what is erased) in mapsource format so we could load that along with CS maps. Also nice would be a more complete basemap in that format. Unless I am going on a trip, 30 megs of data is plenty, so I haveroom for that other stuff.

PS It sure is nice to be able to acquire satellites here in my computer room! My legend will only do it 32% of the time

Edited by Volwrath

So then I re-installed my mapsource maps, and now the tide info (Marine POIs) is gone. Does anyone know whether I needed to install this update, or if we can get the tide info onthe GPS WITH the Mapsource info?

How did you upload the POI database to your 60C? I looked into it but it only gave me an option of using a serial port- which I do not have- only have USB.

So I did not download the POI software but did xfer the new 3.0 firmware. Nothing was wiped out in my POI menu.

Prior to loading the POI database, did you already have the tide tool feature on your 60c?

So then I re-installed my mapsource maps, and now the tide info (Marine POIs) is gone.  Does anyone know whether I needed to install this update, or if we can get the tide info onthe GPS WITH the Mapsource info?

How did you upload the POI database to your 60C? I looked into it but it only gave me an option of using a serial port- which I do not have- only have USB.

So I did not download the POI software but did xfer the new 3.0 firmware. Nothing was wiped out in my POI menu.

Prior to loading the POI database, did you already have the tide tool feature on your 60c?

If I only had the same amount of memory that my GPS does, then I would be able to remember the answers to these questions...

1. I don't know if Marine POI was on the unit before the firmware upgrade.

2. It looked like I still had everything on my unit after the firmware upgrade, but like a dope, I obeyed the website that instructed me to run the "file" and when I did, it erased all the Mapsource Data and all POIs. bummer.

3. So I reinstalled Mapsource and it put everything back to normal.

4. Next I ran the 5 MB US Tides software which added another data source in MapSource and now I have tide info for the whole US.

5. I used the USB connection-don't remember any option to select that...

Sorry, not much help, I guess.

Are you saying you have both Tide Station info and City Select maps available on your 60C?

If you download and install the US Tides software from Garmin (this is apparantly NOT supported by Garmin) yes, you can have both City Select (or any other Garmin maps) and the tide station info co-existing happily together. The tide station info are just three selectable ~55k maps that can be uploaded to the 60C along with any other mapsets. I have City Select v5, some US Topo maps and the tide stations all running together just fine on my 60C.

See this thread for more on the subject.

Edited by SergZak

In case people are curious, here's what new in v3:

Added Resume Navigation and Recalculate options to the Map, Compass, and Highway Navigation pages.

Added speed-filtering feature to the Marine Setup.

Added Pedestrian and Bicycle modes to the Follow Road options.

Added vertical elevation profiling for routes and saved tracks for use with future MapSource products.

Added support to automatically turn the backlight on if external power is connected.

Moved Facilities Find item from the Marine Points submenu to the main Find menu.

Added a Remove All option to the Recent Finds page.

Added yards and nautical miles as units to the Off-Road Route Transition by Distance option.

Added nautical miles as a unit by which to project a waypoint.

Defaulted the Project Waypoint Distance units to match the system’s distance unit type.

Added New Zealand Transverse Mercator and Austrian Grid support.

Updated language translations.

Enabled the Active button on the Route List page to work with all route types.

Enabled the Active Route page to be in the main page sequence if navigating an on-route GoTo.

Corrected a problem with calendar memory that caused records to become unavailable temporarily.

Corrected a problem with the calendar Remove All option that caused points associated with days in the future to not be removed.

Corrected a problem that caused elevation data requiring five digits to not display correctly.

Corrected a problem that could cause a route to be deleted while editing it on the map.

Corrected a problem that could cause the unit to not respond or display a 'Software Missing' message when adding a point to a new route.

Corrected a problem where duplicate exit roads could not be selected.

Corrected a highlight problem when searching for user waypoints by name.

Corrected a problem where elevation for a user waypoint could be rounded incorrectly.

Corrected a problem that could cause valid intersections to not be found.

Corrected a problem where some addresses in Europe could not be found when the scope was reduced by selecting either a city or country.

Corrected the drawing of Follow Road routes in some roundabouts.

Corrected the drawing of European tide charts.

I just tried installing this firmware update on my brand new 60c, and got the following error:

App: Updater

At: 3/3/2004 11:48:35 PM (UTC)

Processor: Intel Processor Level: 15, RAM: 392632 KB

XFERTHREAD.CPP-795-2.6

:lol:

Any ideas?

This really bites...

Is the unit still working with the old firmware?

I don't have my unit in front of me, but if I remember correctly, you go to the Setup menu, choose System, then press the MENU key. There should be an option to show the firmware version.

That is exactly correct - except the last selection is software version. It also shows your unit ID number as well.

OK...so I brought the GPSr to work today, installed the drivers on my work pc, and tried installing the firmware. Success!!!

So...MapSource was updating my 60c without any problems on my laptop, but the firmware wouldn't update. Strange.

Oh well...at least I have a workaround for now.

Thanks for your replies!

A friend of mine has the 60C (I'm still waiting on the CS myself). I have been helping her install maps and such, and everything has worked like a champ, including the firmware upgrade.

Today, she showed me that, since the firmware upgrade, she no longer has the ability to utilize the "averaging" feature when marking a waypoint. I know for a fact that the 60C averaged quite well prior to the upgrade, and my friend believes that this is one her most important features.

Today, we marked a waypoint, hit the "AVE" button, but instead of the unit zipping through the number count as it had before, it just sits idle, with the count stuck on zero. I confirmed that we has a decent satellite lock (<20 feet accuracy), clear sky, and no other routing or searching functions were active.

Anyone else have this problem or willing to offer any insight to its correction?

I updated to 3.00 also, but I don't seem to have this problem. The only thing that I might have done differently is to clear memory after the update. Garmin does a good job of not forcing this in general, but I usually do it anyway just from past experience with the V. Things just seem to work smoother. Anyway, it's worth a try if the averaging is that important to you. Make sure you back up waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. to the Trip and Waypoint manager or to Mapsource before trying this :) Hold down page and enter while powering the unit on....select Yes to clear the user memory. I'll be interested to found out if it helps.

Hold down page and enter while powering the unit on....select Yes to clear the user memory. I'll be interested to found out if it helps.

Yep, that worked ..... cleared the memory, then updated to Firmware v3.01, and averaging is working again, thanks!