Timed Caches

Odwolda

Just something I was thinking of, has anyone ever done any timed caches? Like, after like a week you take it down? It could work out like:

It'd contain trade items that would make people want to get out there and find it fast, like mapsource cds and *nice* GPS cases, and maybe an Ion Cross Pen (woo!). You'd only have to leave it up for a week or so, so you'd get a lot of finds really quickly. And who knows, someone might have their FF there and they'd have a good start in their caching career. Of course this would almost HAVE to have it's own category as it'd make the reviewers pretty mad to look over a cache and then bam it's gone in a few days.

Just posting this for your thoughts...if it gets good responses I might start one.

Which is why, if you read the guidelines you agree to when you hide the cache, you will see that something like that isn't allowed here.

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons.  Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Edited by Mopar

A couple of years ago there were quite a few one time caches posted. The owner would throw a $20 bill, antique coin or something else of value in a cache, but the first finder would get would it and that would be the end of the cache

Thse caches are longer allowed under the current guidelines.

Edited by briansnat
Yeah I know, that's one of the major flaws in it.

I've come up with caches that had flaws in them too. For example I suggested a cache that required you to shoot my exwife. Oh the mods went all on and on about guidelines and stuff.

go figure

Hmmm, what's the FTF prize in that one?

I have this one idea. It's for an ammo can, buried in the middle of RR tracks running through a National Park. It's a theme cache, you need to trade drugs or booze. It's got a few flaws though........ :blink:

LOL.....that wouldn't work too well for the younger kids...

"What's the page say next Tommy?"

"It's says go shoot his ex-wife...?"

"What'd you say young man? No caching for a week!"

"But Pa!"

"No buts!"

Yeah that's lazyboy, trying to destroy the next generation's childhood...

There's lots of new caches requiring approval popping up every day. If this started happening can you imagine the extra workload that would require?

I can't imagine there being too many one-time caches. Most people aren't going to take the trouble hiding a cache that's gone quickly. If someone wants to do it, especially if there nice stuff in it, I think that's great. Might make it interesting to actually see some nice stuff to trade after most of the usual "trinkets">

alan

There's lots of new caches requiring approval popping up every day. If this started happening can you imagine the extra workload that would require?

I can't imagine there being too many one-time caches. Most people aren't going to take the trouble hiding a cache that's gone quickly. If someone wants to do it, especially if there nice stuff in it, I think that's great. Might make it interesting to actually see some nice stuff to trade after most of the usual "trinkets">

alan

Sure there have been, people were posting one-day only caches near event 'caches' in big parks, or so TPTB said when they rejected my 7-week duration cache last fall, claiming no temporary caches were permitted even though I showed two docs on the web site saying otherwise.

I tried to battle it, but lost of course. Eventually they quantified 'temporary' to meaning nothing under 3 months, which is all I wanted anyway, just wanted them to define where the lines were.

Thse caches are longer allowed under the current guidelines.

One of these still exists here locally:

Dapper Dan's Treasure Chest VIII

The one starting on Friday is worth $100!

Thats actually a good idea. Caches like this one are good and I don't think there should be a problem with them because they are temporary but replaced alot. This series should be one cache were they just post the new coords everyweek in the description that way it dosen't make a lot of work for the mods

Thats actually a good idea. Caches like this one are good and I don't think there should be a problem with them because they are temporary but replaced alot. This series should be one cache were they just post the new coords everyweek in the description that way it dosen't make a lot of work for the mods

That's an old cache, and grandfathered. You can no longer change a caches coordinates more then a small amount without having the cache reviewed again now. If you just keep posting new coords every week to the cache page, gc.com isn't checking to see if it meets their requirements. If they aren't checking yours, why check anyones? Why not just let anyone post whatever cache they feel like? Then LB&MM could list his ex-wife cache, at least.

If you just keep posting new coords every week to the cache page, gc.com isn't checking to see if it meets their requirements. If they aren't checking yours, why check anyones? Why not just let anyone post whatever cache they feel like? Then LB&MM could list his ex-wife cache, at least.

I'm really glad DapperDan's cache was grandfathered in, it's a lot of fun!

However, I can understand disallowing this generally. Everyone around here pretty much understands the deal with this cache. If there were 30 timed caches around here, though, there'd be the potential for lots of people to look for them after they had already been found, or were no longer in play. (This does happen every now and then with Dapper Dan's cache - someone will hunt for it when it's not in play. It's infrequent though.) It would have the potential to be pretty out of control - it could be quite unpleasant for new cachers.

I've come up with caches that had flaws in them too. For example I suggested a cache that required you to shoot my exwife. Oh the mods went all on and on about guidelines and stuff.

go figure

Well, if you believe what you read in the forums, the cache reviewers are inconsistent and subjective. If I saw this brilliant cache in the approval queue, not only would I approve it instantly ("it is novel ideas like this which show why we call them guidelines, not rules"), but I'd steal your idea and replicate it locally. :):blink::):D:)

Seriously... caches intended to be in place for less than three months are not permitted, as noted above. But there's nothing to stop you from hiding such a cache (in a responsible manner, of course) and listing the coordinates on your own website or a local geocaching group's website. Another option is to create a new cache, and leave information for a "bonus cache" inside the container as a first finder's prize.

I've come up with caches that had flaws in them too.  For example I suggested a cache that required you to shoot my exwife.  Oh the mods went all on and on about guidelines and stuff.

go figure

Well, if you believe what you read in the forums, the cache reviewers are inconsistent and subjective. If I saw this brilliant cache in the approval queue, not only would I approve it instantly ("it is novel ideas like this which show why we call them guidelines, not rules"), but I'd steal your idea and replicate it locally. :):):D:blink::)

I also tried a Do Mine I'll Do Yours cache that as I recall you were interested in. Maybe we can list it at navicache??? Or if we keep it up year around perhaps it will be approved here???

I tried to do a cache called "Cache or Treat" where cachers could come durring Halloween to see my geocache pumpkin.

155215_800.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 27, 2003 by ~ Mountain Climber~ (Mountain Climber) (0 found)

Geocaching.com has directed me that I cannot approve a temporary cache.

I appreciate this but I am going to have to archive the cache listing.

Thanks for the thoughtful gesture for your fellow Cachers.

Regards

Mountain Climber

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To bad huh

Seriously... caches intended to be in place for less than three months are not permitted, as noted above. But there's nothing to stop you from hiding such a cache ...

And archiving the cache whenever you please.

Keystone, you should re-read the guideline "noted above." Subjectively speaking, "may not be approved" is not synonymous with "are not permitted."