4x4s And Geocaching

TMLBK

I live in NW Georgia and would like to incorporate my 4x4 into geocache hunts/placements. Can any one give me a website that lists trails I can take my F150 on? My thought is to use the 4x4 to get to very remote locations and then finish the treks on foot.

Truer words were never spoken!

I don't know about that, but how about we get our fat butts out of our cars and walk to the freakin' caches. The sport is supposed to require a "GPS and a sense of adventure". Where is the adventure in hopping into your air conditioned Jeeps and Suburbans and driving to the cache? Put the adventure back into the sport. Get a pack, put it on your back and walk there. We're turning into a country of freakin' latte sipping, Jeep driving, tofu eating, panty waists.

Edited by briansnat

I don't know about that, but how about we get our fat butts out of our cars and walk to the freakin' caches. The sport is supposed to require a "GPS and a sense of adventure". Where is the adventure in hopping into your air conditioned Jeeps and Suburbans and driving to the cache? Put the adventure back into the sport. Get a pack, put it on your back and walk there. We're turning into a country of freakin' latte sipping, Jeep driving, tofu eating, panty waists.

Very true. But we're a nation of pantywaists and my hiking caches have maybe 2 finds a year. Those urban micros outside of WalMart? They get 2 or 3 an hour.

:blink:

Very true. But we're a nation of pantywaists and my hiking caches have maybe 2 finds a year. Those urban micros outside of WalMart? They get 2 or 3 an hour.

Sad, but true. Put a well stocked cache on a beautiful cliff that requires a 2 hour walk and you get a find every other month. Stick a film canister on a guardrail next to the town dump and you get several finds a week.

Edited by briansnat

Sorry, I can't take a 2-year old on an 11 mile hike over rough terrain. I'll stick with my Suburban for those caches. We have plenty of variety in our terrain out here. We can use the 4x4, hike a couple of miles, or drive within 500 feet of caches. We don't limit ourselves to just one kind.

I live in NW Georgia and would like to incorporate my 4x4 into geocache hunts/placements. Can any one give me a website that lists trails I can take my F150 on? My thought is to use the 4x4 to get to very remote locations and then finish the treks on foot.

Try 'Topo Zone' and then find the map for the area you are interested in. Use the 25,000 to 1 scale to see "jeep" trails.

If you start with the 100,000 to 1 scale first it makes it easier to find a location you might want to go to for a look see.

Hope this helps.

John

My kids (6 & 9 years old) and I have been to some very out-of-the-way caches and hike regularly. I'd just like to be able to get to more remote areas and back in a day.

I think it's a great idea. I like to hike as much and probably more than the next guy. 15+ miles per hike 3 to 4 times a week is not uncommon. But I also like 4 wheel'n and quad'n. And if I can mix one of those with caching then I'm getting double the fun. And that's great. If somebody else doesn't want to go for that kind of cache, then so be it. They don't have to. It just gives us all more options, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I have several back a ways and good hikes.

I have a 77 Ford 4X4 3/4 on a 1 Ton frame,Possitive track Dana's,High Performace 410 CID,deep lugged and studded tires.That will climb strait up a wall.

I leave it parked most of the time :blink: except for those rare occasions when maintaining multiple cache's. :)

But I would rather walk quietly through the woods and hear the sounds of nature at it's best and breath the fresh air from the trees. :)

Try 'Topo Zone' and then find the map for the area you are interested in. Use the 25,000 to 1 scale to see "jeep" trails.

If you start with the 100,000 to 1 scale first it makes it easier to find a location you might want to go to for a look see.

That's a good idea, but make sure it's legal to drive it. There are many trails marked "jeep roads" that are off limits to the public.

We're turning into a country of freakin' latte sipping, Jeep driving, tofu eating, panty waists.

I dont drink Latte'

I dont eat tofu

I'm far from being a panty waist.

But I will not apologize for driving my jeep to any cache. I'll take ya for a ride sometime BS and you tell me if its enough adventure for you! :blink:

Salvelinus

:blink: Lets not turn this into a four wheelers vs hiker discussion. There are lots of caches out their where you can do either. I live and cache in Colorado, there are 4x4 trails almost every where you go. Some are a real challenge to negotiate. Ever heard of Holy Cross, 21 road, Iron Chest and I could go on. I would love to see a cache at the end of one of these roads, and I guarantee you wont see any latte sippin pantty waits up there. If your looking for a real challenge try a good 4x4 road, there's nothing like it. Or there are plenty of caches out there you can take long hikes to. Just take your pick. Edited by Vader

My Jeep isn't air conditioned and I have never wasted a panty in my life! Well, maybe once......but I don't like latte! :blink:

:) Lets not turn this into a four wheelers vs hiker discussion. There are lots of caches out their where you can do either. I live and cache in Colorado, there are 4x4 trails almost every where you go. Some are a real challenge to negotiate. Ever heard of Holy Cross, 21 road, Iron Chest and I could go on. I would love to see a cache at the end of one of these roads, and I guarantee you wont see any latte sippin pantty waits up there. If your looking for a real challenge try a good 4x4 road, there's nothing like it. Or there are plenty of caches out there you can take long hikes to. Just take your pick.

I drive in as far as I can, then hoof it from there. I haven't been up Holy Cross yet, but I've seen it. God I miss living in Colorado :blink:

I wouldn't trust any trails on a map that you see, and that is in my lesson plan when I teach Land Navigation. Most TOPO maps were printed in 1927, updates are sketchy. And things have changed over time.

Here is a map from TOPO zone. This Cache which used to be where the mark is on the TOPO zone map, and we had to relocate it because of this major change. And I can remember when a cacher went up there he was trying to find the old jeep trail. Well its completly overgrown and just doesn't exist.

Try contacting a local off road club. These organizations usually know what the travel restrictions are for your area. They will also have advice about the condition of trails in your area. Combine this information with a cache search and you should be well on your way.

If you don't find any caches, maybe you will need to fix that. :ph34r:

Remember: Tread Lightly

Well I can't help you with Georgia but if you come to Colorado that's a different story... We have lots of 4x4 roads here and like Vader mentioned several are hard core roads that are so rough most stock 4x4's can't do them. Roads such as GCG8EO are probably easier to hike than drive. Want a good scare? Then drive the cliff hanger road to GCGR32. If one wants an adrenaline rush here than the challenge is to drive to the cache.

Another reason (besides young kids) for driving to a cache would be physical handicaps. My wife walks with a cane and can't do long hikes or walk up rough terrain. We will be placing more 4x4 caches here in Colorado in the future. I'm sure the cachers in Georgia would like to see more 4x4 caches also.

I wouldn't trust any trails on a map that you see, and that is in my lesson plan when I teach Land Navigation.  Most TOPO maps were printed in 1927, updates are sketchy.  And things have changed over time.

Well, USGS maps aren't exactly THAT old :ph34r:

The average USGS topographic map is 23 years old, but the range varies widely; the map you refer to in the link is from 1976. If you're looking at any topo map on TopoZone, click on the "Map/Photo Info" button on the left to get complete information about that map, including the "currentness" date, which is essentially the date at which the data was last reviewed or checked by the USGS.

And there's little or no information on USGS topographic maps to indicate whether or not any given trail is open to the public or not.

- Ed

Ed McNierney

President and Chief Mapmaker

TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.

I wouldn't trust any trails on a map that you see, and that is in my lesson plan when I teach Land Navigation.  Most TOPO maps were printed in 1927, updates are sketchy.  And things have changed over time.

Well, USGS maps aren't exactly THAT old :ph34r:

The average USGS topographic map is 23 years old, but the range varies widely; the map you refer to in the link is from 1976. If you're looking at any topo map on TopoZone, click on the "Map/Photo Info" button on the left to get complete information about that map, including the "currentness" date, which is essentially the date at which the data was last reviewed or checked by the USGS.

And there's little or no information on USGS topographic maps to indicate whether or not any given trail is open to the public or not.

- Ed

Ed McNierney

President and Chief Mapmaker

TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.

If the maps are updated in 1976 then whey do they still show roads that are not even there. If one is to look at the map it clearly says in Purple Photo Revised in 1978. "This was not field Checked"

Ed: Your product is ok, I'm not trying to demean it or anything of that nature but

there is a lot of difference between National Geographics TOPO, TOPO Zone and what is really out there.

This Topo Zone Map still shows roads that are not even there, and doesn't show trails that are there.

This area has been recently mapped on this site.

One should see the difference between the photo image and the map that is available thru Lostoutdoors.com

Map Datum for Lion Gulch:

9878de04-c058-4ab9-829b-2e6310c06676.jpg

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

Guys, like them or not, they're not MY maps - they're the USGS's maps. They've got 60,000 topo maps to maintain and update - just a few more than your favorite guidebook writer.

The USGS did not set out 100 years ago to create a set of nationwide topographic maps for geocachers, hikers, paddlers, 4x4s, etc. They're incredibly useful for these purposes and in many, many cases they are the best available maps out there. That doesn't mean they're perfect; heck, my HOUSE has been right here since 1847 and it's not on the topo map!

If you're looking for maps of popular trails, parks and recreation areas, etc. you will be very likely to find a better and more current map. I don't think anyone should use an off-the-shelf topo map as a trail map without doing their homework - I certainly don't!

But for 99% of the country, the USGS topographic maps - flawed as they are - are the best and most detailed maps available. We've got USGS aerial photos, too (and a lot of newer ones that you don't see on the TerraServer photos on LostOutdoors.com) and they're virtually all much newer than the topos - but they're not topo maps.

And remember that my post was to correct the statement that "most topo maps were printed in 1927" (which is wrong) and not to say "topo maps are the most up-to-date trail maps you can find anywhere" which is also wrong.

I guess I don't quite understand the point - if you think USGS topo maps aren't suitable for your needs, don't use them!

Ok so I shouldn't of said printed in 1927!! I must of misunderstood the meaning of what the polyconic projection is or was.

Even though the USGS maps are the most accurate that we have for back country travel, the real problem is that people believe what they see. They see a road on the map or they are on a trail and in their minds the road or trail should be there. After all its a Govt. map. Or they will tell you that they just got a recent printout from some map source and its on the computer so it must be right and up to date; or the vendors would not make it available. So they get misconstrued and think they are lost.

And I have had cachers EMail me about the location of some of my caches. Because the maps do not show a trail where I say one is. So they get upset and think they are in the wrong place. Log for 15 Dec 2002 "I was concerned that I had the coordinates wrong, because when I looked at where ground zero was on the map, I couldn't find any obvious trails to it." And this cache is 3.5 for both difficulty and terrain.

So for some of my caches I've started to give links for maps that I have made and I know they are close to really what is out there.

When I teach the land navigation classes I stress the importance to rely on terrain features and read the land. Don't take it as concrete that the man made objects are there. The usuage of UTM's, datums, and GPS's along with old fashioned maps and compasses are all a part of the Land Navigation class that I teach.

The problem lies in the simple fact that some people believe that the maps that they procur from the Govt. or a private source are the bible. And they get lost and then the real problems happen.

As I said earlier "Ed: Your product is ok, I'm not trying to demean it or anything of that nature but there is a lot of difference between National Geographics TOPO, TOPO Zone and what is really out there".

And your site along with others are mentioned as sources of maps when I teach the class. So don't take it as an offense I know you're source is the USGS and its not your fault, and some people that wander in the wilds would get lost looking for a beer in their own refrigeratior.

Fortunately, "Down Under" is doesn't matter which way you transport to a cache, there is challenge and adventure in most of the hunts outside the urban areas

There are plenty of hikes that will take a whole day if you wish, or you can 4x4 drive to some that will still take you the whole day and you better know how to drive your fourby in ALL conditions..

I have some caches located in spots where it is illegal to take a 2 wheel drive vehicles.

Many places require taking additional fuel cans and provisions. (see photo).

19427_200.JPG

Come down under...this is where the real adventures are.

Other adventure caches involve.

Abseiling, swimming, beach/sand driving, skiing, mountain climbing, canoeing, canyoning, and avoiding man-eating crocs just to name a few.

Sorry to sound like a tourist ad but we do have plenty of adventurous geocaching opportunities down here. Come down and see for yourself.

Yes we do seem to go overboard with signage sometimes, but it never seems to be enough for some places. Just a while ago we had an English tourist die of thirst by the road.

This sign is intriguing. I don't know exactly what it's trying to tell me. Maybe that bits of Tasmanian Devil could fly up and break my windscreen. :ph34r:

21457_200.JPG

The one on top is just an ad for QANTAS airlines I think.

Fortunately, "Down Under" is doesn't matter which way you transport to a cache, there is challenge and adventure in most of the hunts outside the urban areas

There are plenty of hikes that will take a whole day if you wish, or you can 4x4 drive to some that will still take you the whole day and you better know how to drive your fourby in ALL conditions..

I have some caches located in spots where it is illegal to take a 2 wheel drive vehicles.

Many places require taking additional fuel cans and provisions. (see photo).

19427_200.JPG

Come down under...this is where the real adventures are.

Other adventure caches involve.

Abseiling, swimming, beach/sand driving, skiing, mountain climbing, canoeing, canyoning, and avoiding man-eating crocs just to name a few.

Sorry to sound like a tourist ad but we do have plenty of adventurous geocaching opportunities down here. Come down and see for yourself.

Righto.....but, you misspelled "tires" on the sign. :lol::P:D

Dang, I'd love to bring my Jeep down there and do some fun driving......Kansas sucks.....but I say that with love. :rolleyes:

Dang, I'd love to bring my Jeep down there and do some fun driving......Kansas sucks.....but I say that with love. :lol:

...this coming from someone who won't even drive to New Mexico for an off-road trip... :rolleyes:

I never said I wouldn't.....just waiting for the right time! :P

...waiting... :D

...still waiting... :D

tormenting........still tormenting!!! :lol:  :D  :D

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy. It will, however, make cats dizzy. Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy. :D

Thanks, Cliff....I'll remember that! :P

Back on topic...I posted this in Mopar's Birthday thread, but it fits this discussion better (that, and Geo-Ho doesn't like 4x4's) :rolleyes:

Notice the right rear tire:

048ea91c-3313-4518-a522-a5b81a68d26f.jpg

I have an 85 fourRunner that's all set up for 4-wheelin. My GPS is mounted to the front windsheild and neither has failed me yet. I will post a picture of it as soon as I can figure out how to do that.......ANY ADVICE.... ( Team GPSaxaphone ?? )

I noticed the nice picture of your truck...

Edited by Vader

Where is the adventure in hopping into your air conditioned Jeeps and Suburbans and driving to the cache? Put the adventure back into the sport. Get a pack, put it on your back and walk there. We're turning into a country of freakin' latte sipping, Jeep driving, tofu eating, panty waists.

:D

Who has AC?? MY Air condiotioning compressor in my Wrangler has been converted to an air compressor and run into my sealed bumpers to allow me to reinflate my tires and run air tools on the trail (or any time for that matter) right out of my Jeep.

And I hate Tofu <_<

I think 4x4 Caches would be way :blink: I love offroading. Its one of my many passions in life and i think itd be great to be out on the trail and hear my 60 beep at me cause theres a cache nearby.