How Long Can I Call Myself A Newbie?

Halden

To me, a newbie is similar to a college freshman at the beginning of the fall semester. They walk around looking at everything with wide eyes. They don't know where anything is, how to get around, how things work, etc... But as far as I'm concerned, once they figure it out and start walking around like all the upperclassmen, they're no longer Freshmen. I think it's the same here as well as with other groups in which I've participated (wheresgeorge.com, Phish fandom). Once you know what's going on and know how to function in the group without it being obvious that you're a newbie, you ain't one anymore! And anyone who looks at your statistics and looks down on you just because you haven't been around as long can just shove off.

Yoda(StillANewbie)Doe

P.S. A full understanding of what all the acronyms mean is essential!

I say it's when you get off the computer and go find some caches. I don't see how people can call themselves geocachers if the have more posts than finds!

;) Because I have a lot more time at work to sit by my computer than run out into the woods and hunt caches.

I say it's when you get off the computer and go find some caches. I don't see how people can call themselves geocachers if the have more posts than finds!

So, if I had 2,109 finds, but this is my 2,110th post, then I'm not a geocacher? That's sad.......

The number of posts a person has is irrelevant to the number of finds a person has. The number of finds a person has is irrelevant to them being a newbie. The number of posts a person has is also irrelevant to them being a newbie.

Next........ ;)

you're a newbie until you feel seasoned. and then again when you're in the presence of a much more experienced cacher.

what's a flood control message?

You can only post once every 30 seconds. If you try to reply faster than that you'll see it.

You can't post that fast when you are on dial-up!

CG

you're a newbie until you feel seasoned. and then again when ....

Rub with garlic, salt and pepper. Place on a bed of carrots, celery and onions in a large roasting pan . Put into a preheated 450 degree oven for 30min., reduce heat to 375 and continue roasting until the internal temp reaches 190.

Ha HA what a rube, dosen't even know what flood controll is!!!!!! :):o

Wait that's not a newbie comment ;) , I have more post than finds so I must be a newbie. Sorry.

How do I make that warning thingy under my name go away? :)

you're a newbie until you feel seasoned. and then again when you're in the presence of a much more experienced cacher.

You can only post once every 30 seconds. If you try to reply faster than that you'll see it.

You can't post that fast when you are on dial-up!

CG

Oh, my son, I beg to differ!!!! ;)

Well, unfortunately, the things I do for recreation cost me money (not to mention things I do just to exist, you know, eat, drink, etc.). And although I really like this sport/activity, there are other things I also enjoy doing.

To do all the things I enjoy, or need to do to survive, means I have to work. I work for the state, and the taxpayer's really don't want to pay my meager salary to find out I'm out caching while at work.

So, during lunch, or at home at night, I get on the computer. On the weekends, I try to find a couple of hours to get out and find a cache or two.

I do have more posts than finds, so I guess I'll have to call myself a geoposter rather than a geocacher.

Oh well. ;)

That's easy for you to say, you have over 3500 caches within 100 miles of you. I only have 334 (including my own caches), with only 216 unfound within 100 miles.

I also work in a cleanroom. No caches in sight, but I have plenty of computers.

That's easy for you to say, you have over 3500 caches within 100 miles of you. I only have 334 (including my own caches), with only 216 unfound within 100 miles.

I also work in a cleanroom. No caches in sight, but I have plenty of computers.

that sounds practical when you live in california. we have 2 feet of snow on the ground here in michigan right now. with temps. in the teens. how about living dangerously and coming here to cache for awhile. i went back to a cache the other day that i had been to a few days before just to grab a geocoin. windchill below 0 and whiteout conditions, but i got it. i also have lupus and can't be exposed to sunlight which means hats and long sleeves and long pants even in summer. gets a little warm.

Edited by uperdooper

Wow. Really! So I guess with my 294 finds and 32 hides to your 122 finds and 4 hides, I'm not a cacher. OK, thanks for clearing that up. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow. Really! So I guess with my 294 finds and 32 hides to your 122 finds and 4 hides, I'm not a cacher. OK, thanks for clearing that up. icon_rolleyes.gif

Geez, what a slacker noob you are! ;):):)

Now go out and find a cache!

Ummmm.....a lot of us can't because the caches are buried under several feet of snow. I can't because of a bad back. Don't even get started on that topic, because I had some "superior" cachers attack me last week because I don't cache because of health problems. They were pretty rude and insensitive about that, too. Caching and forum posting are not at all related when it comes to numbers.

So, before you go off and offend a whole new bunch of people, think before you post anything about finding caches or posting in the forums. ;)

EDIT: Case in point, my cache finding rate is 1% of my posting rate. Thanks for not going there.

Edited by Sparky-Watts
Ok so maybe I didn't think this through all the way...I apologize to any offended. But suppose your cache finding rate is only 1% of your posting rate. Nah forget I said that. Now go out and find a cache!

My son you have seen the error in your way and I exonerate you. Cache on. ;)

I have to admit, it's been a good snow year.  I'm looking for snowshoes!

Hmmmm, Ive got three pair that havnt been used in more than 10 years....

And my two bits (to stay on topic) is that you arnt a newbie when you dont feel like a newbie. This means that it can change depending on the situation or the company you are in.

Ive been around here for more than a year and am approaching 100 finds. Caching around here (the plains) I dont consider myself a newbie. I know how the locals hide their caches and dont usually have any trouble finding them. In a big city, in the mountains or in the desert that would change.

Id also say that caching and the forums are almost completely seperate. You can be quite experienced in one, but a complete newbie at the other.

I have 10 finds 7 hidden 1 travel bug, Its not how much you do, Its the passion or fun you have. Some may disagree but I say if you can hide a multi, find a multi, post a bug, and get someone else as excited about the sport as you are, you are not a newbie any more. have fun with it and dont worry about it, They havent kicked me out of the forums or told me I couldnt hide and seek caches. Heck geocaching.com is my homepage for christs sake.