Gpsr's And Water!

SBPhishy

I was sitting here, completely disregarding my homework, and procrastinating to the fullest extent, and I thought, "What new thread could I start?" (as if we don't have enough already) and it hit me.

This thread is dedicated to GPSr's and water. Post your pictures of your gps's in the bathtub, the sink, a creek, the lake, even pictures with it covered in rain, dripping wet. I have always wanted to put my gps in the sink, but I just can't bring myself to do it. This person could. (it's not mine)

178480_2000.jpg

There ya go! :D:P;)

Edited by SBPhishy

The best I could come up with is this pic (435k). My GPS is not displayed in its entirety, but it's clearly wet.

It was taken in southern Florida on the shore of Okeechobee, just as I passed 1000 miles for the trip. It had been raining heavily about two minutes earlier and then miraculously stopped just when I stopped to take the picture.

The view from the spot is here (447k).

Jamie

Chemfred,

I am a diver and also have a legend. I have some questions for you about how you use your GPS'r:

1. Have you taken it underwater on a dive? If so, do you place it in a zip lock or otter box? (they are only rated for 3 feet)?

2. If you have taken it under water, how is the sat reception?

3. Was it fresh or salt water?

Thanks,

Check out my log for "A sailors grave at Tony Grove" There is a picture of me swimming for the cache, which was 8 feet underwater.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...fb-5f635281874b

I put my etrex summit in a ziploc, but the bag leaked. Gps still worked though, even after I took it down 8 feet under. No sattelite reception though, undermore than a foot or so of water.

dino_hunters

formerly tylosaurus

The pictured Garmin Legend is rated IPX7. This from thier web site

Most Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.

Still I hope he dryed out the battery compartment real good.

Chemfred,

I am a diver and also have a legend. I have some questions for you about how you use your GPS'r:

1. Have you taken it underwater on a dive? If so, do you place it in a zip lock or otter box? (they are only rated for 3 feet)?

2. If you have taken it under water, how is the sat reception?

3. Was it fresh or salt water?

Thanks,

1. No, I didn't take it under water. It was put in Joefrog's dry box and towed by a 80 foot tether while the box and GPSr remained on the surface. Kind of like towing a floating dive flag. An otter box would probably work though.

2. I don't think the sat reception would go very far under water, another reason to keep it on the surface.

3. Fresh water. I didn't worry too much a/b rinsing it off after our adventure. Salt water, another story. I would rinse off well after salt water just like you would do w/ a dive computer.

the bryno dropped his legend in a river, he had to wait like 30 minutes for the silt to clear, so he could see the lanyard about 2.5 feet down, which was only floating because of the bead on it. He retrieved his GPS and it still works. Of course he beats on it, so it has screen problems but that's not from the water, it was already happening.

Sorry there's no picture, but this is the actual last recordings using the factory antennae of my Garmin III+. It was during a 20 mile kayak/rowing race called the Blackburn Challenge. The antennae failed shortly before my first successful paddle float self rescue. Sure glad I practiced before getting in over my head! Always wear you PFD!! When I got to shore, I completely disassembled the unit and found no sign of water damage any where except a little corrosion in the battery compartment and everywhere in the antennae. After replacing the antennae, the gps has continued to work without any problems.

90f2e82e-98d9-42ff-8a2f-952bdea23d34.jpg

I originally purchased my GPS for wreck diving and for dive team operations that required accuracy. Only real problem is the GPS cannot leave the surface given the limitations of water resistance and antenna reception.

So, I constructed a GPS float using an acrylic canning jar with a hinged lid, readily available at Wal-Mart. Adding stainless steel hardware upped the price slightly, but it works great and I can now track my compass searches below the surface using the GPS above.

I recently used this same equipment when doing the "Oh Island In The Sun" cache in SCUBA, so I had the photograph handy.

50f4795e-e16b-4b4d-82ec-78d45b5afda5.jpg

I have never put my etrex Legend in water on purpose, but the other night while out caching in a snowstorm, I thought I was going to have to buy a new one. I got back in the car to go to my next cache (because that's what us cachin' type people do) and hooked my GPSr back up to the car adaptor and, unbeknownst to me, there was still water/snow on the port and the thing went crazy. I immediately unplugged it and dried it off real good. It seems to be as good as new....whewww!!!

I got really tired once (this is not the first time I wrecked something while sleepy) and tested my remanufactured Meridian gold in the sink. The unit leaked because some of the screws were lose, but luckly I got the unit to work after drying it out (I eventual got the unit replaced because of bluespots).

I had to rinse my unit off a few times because I spilt some pop on it, but no damage was done this time.

Wyatt W.

Edited by phantom4099