Mapquest

Sheesh! Isn't there something better than MapQuest for location display? Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when I click on the map and go to their page all the coordinates get screwed up! I know of some sites that might not want a gazillion hits on their limited servers, but there has to be something better that would serve Geocaching well. ;)

I agree. Back when Mapquest & Mapblast were running head to head, I always chose the latter. Since Mapblast got picked up by Microsoft, I've continued to find it to be a fairly handy tool for quick direction & location finding.

On the home front, I've been using Magellan Mapsend to interface with my GPSr. Decent enough for the basics, I suppose, but fairly lacking in the functionality/customization department. Only one coordinate system format, a frustratingly clumsy distance measurement tool...

Something a bit more feature-rich would certainly be welcome. Streets and Trips seems to be a popular choice. Have people had good experiences with that one?

I hate mapquest because of its lack of accuracy. I do like how it USED to be easy to use before all these new restrictions. Try doing an address search for your home (or any other thing that you know where it should be on the map) and you will notice that the point it displayes can be as much as .5 mile off, with coords it is more accurate but still not good. And now they made it harder to use the coords search on their site (you still can if you remember the url) and they got rid of the arial photos

Lostoutdoors.com seems to be the best for us folk in the mountain west. Street maps don't really cut it, and I haven't found an on-line topo service worth the money. Really need detail, best is to go to your local NGS topo map dealer and by the quadrant you're needing. Lost Outdoors helps a lot, but you still have to get to Point A first!

I like the GC.com maps used in combination with TopoZone (but I'm a topo-type person). I use MapQuest only to back up what the GC.com maps tell me.

As a sidebar to that, let me add that MapQuest doesn't recognize my existence, and my house has stood on this spot for over fifty years. Go figure!

Lostoutdoors.com seems to be the best for us folk in the mountain west.

I used that once. It didn't work with Firefox and I had to spend 15 minutes tryuing to find IE on my comp. I'll stick with Terraserver images.

I like mapquest, so far I have 11 (maybe 12? lol) finds, all of those were gpless and used mapquest (and a hint from the owner on a couple really tricky ones) to find.

Blue

GO MAPS.GOOGLE.COM. BEST EVER! except for the fact that it has pictures from 2002 in the area I live, but still, IT WORKS!.

just type in DD MM.mmm (-)DDD MM.mmm and click search.

Google maps has got even easier now - just copy and paste the coordinates from the top of a cache page into the search box and it will take you to the cache location and put a pushpin in there. Click on satellite and you can see the terrain around the cache site. Makes it real easy to see likely access points, especially if you're in an area that has high res satellite images. Must be some geocachers doing the development at Google :D

GO MAPS.GOOGLE.COM. BEST EVER! except for the fact that it has pictures from 2002 in the area I live, but still, IT WORKS!.

just type in DD MM.mmm (-)DDD MM.mmm and click search.

Now THAT's cool. I didn't know that. Works well too, and it's handy to be able to switch to the satellite map to see the trees and stuff.

Scott

(I'm a noob... just got a GPS -- eXplorist 200... haven't tried hunting yet for anything yet, but doing LOTS of reading around here)