Accidentally Found A Cache

sandyhatch

I did not know this organization existed until today. I went for a walk at Wolf Creek Park near Palestine Texas and I noticed something white sticking out from a bank. I discovered this plastic box with was filled with a dollar bill some fishing equiqment a couple of pens (which don't work) and a unsharpen pencil and a notebook. I opened up the notebook and discovered there were many entries. I did not have anything to write with so that is why I deceided to enter this forum.

I placed the container back under the leaves were I found it. This was so much fun when I found it. :D It was like a treasure hunt. This sounds like a real fun thing to get into. So what do I need to get started?

You use a GPS receiver.

You get the latitude and longitude of a box from cache pages. (You can enter your ZIP code in the "Hide and Seek" page to get a list of caches near you.)

Then enter the coordinates into the GPS receiver and let it lead to to the vicinity near a cache.

I suggest browsing the "Getting Started" message threads.

WELCOME !

Welcome and thank you for returning the cache!!!

You can get a GPS receiver from stores like Best Buy, Target, etc. Shop around there are usually good deals.

I personally have a Garmin Etrex Legend and love it. It is small (about the size of a typical cell phone) and has a bunch of nice features that I use outside of the geocaching game. Be sure to get a unit that has a cable so that you can download the caches waypoints directly.

Good luck and welcome to the game :D:o:D

Another good thing to do is to go to an event. Texas is big on events and seem to have the best out there. You can meet a lot of great people, learn tricks and techniques, and just have a wonderful time. You might try to email "Snoogans" who could hook you up with someone nearby. You can find his posts here on the forums. He is kind of a Guru of geocaching in Texas, especially when it comes to events. Welcome to the club!!!!!!

Another good thing to do is to go to an event. Texas is big on events and seem to have the best out there. You can meet a lot of great people, learn tricks and techniques, and just have a wonderful time. You might try to email "Snoogans" who could hook you up with someone nearby. You can find his posts here on the forums. He is kind of a Guru of geocaching in Texas, especially when it comes to events. Welcome to the club!!!!!!

Texas events can be found from the front page of geocaching.com. Click the states drop-down menu and select Texas, or do what I do and bookmark your state's page:

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.as...d=44&submit2=GO

Events are listed at the top, and the organizations you can join are at the right.

Oh, and welcome to geocaching!

I did not know this organization existed until today. I went for a walk at Wolf Creek Park near Palestine Texas and I noticed something white sticking out from a bank. I discovered this plastic box with was filled with a dollar bill some fishing equiqment a couple of pens (which don't work) and a unsharpen pencil and a notebook. I opened up the notebook and discovered there were many entries. I did not have anything to write with so that is why I deceided to enter this forum.

I placed the container back under the leaves were I found it. This was so much fun when I found it. :blink: It was like a treasure hunt. This sounds like a real fun thing to get into. So what do I need to get started?

Dang! I've been doing this for months and I still haven't managed to stumble across a cache without intentionally looking for it!

I'm really hoping to find one like that someday. You are so lucky!

Oh and welcome to the obsession.