Symbiotic Tb Idea - Been Done?

Sparrowhawk

I am mulling over the idea of creating a TB called "Symbiont" whose mission is to get attached to another TB, take a ride for awhile, then drop off and go ride off with another TB, etc. etc. etc..

Maybe make a rule that Symbiont gets bored after every 100 miles and it then always goes off to find someone new. (Kinda like certain people I know... :unsure:

Anyway, has this already been done?

I just ordered some new TB tags, so I might as well go ahead, design the Symbiont TB, and see what happens. :blink:

I am still deciding on it's "personality".

I don't know whether to make it's motivation for it's actions to be that it exists to give other TB's good luck on it's journeys...

...or just write it as a neurotic needy, clingy little thing that just can't stand to be lonely AT ALL. Maybe drive the TBs it accompanies nuts or something.

Whatever.

I will definitely find something fun. :bad:

Edited by Sparrowhawk
I just ordered some new TB tags, so I might as well go ahead, design the Symbiont TB, and see what happens. :unsure:

I don't know whether to make it's motivation for it's actions to be that it exists to give other TB's good luck on it's journeys...

...or just write it as a neurotic needy, clingy little thing that just can't stand to be lonely AT ALL. Maybe drive the TBs it accompanies nuts or something.

Whatever.

I will definitely find something fun. :mad:

Maybe a "lamprey"....one that latches on and "sucks" up to the other bug until it finds a better bug to hook on to (or until the other bug figures out a way to get it off!) :mad:

I helped along a Borg, which was one of 5 set out to assimilate bugs. it had a bug attached to it and they must travel together from now on.

Was this the Borg's goal or the other bugs? If the other bug has it's own goal perhaps attaching it to a Borg is not in the best interest of the other bug's owner... :unsure:

The TB LT. Dan mentions was also in my possession, called 6 of 5 TB. I also had 8 of 5 in my possession around the same time. Both TBs had 'assimilated' other TBs. The owners of both the assimilated and assimilator TBs were already in agreement that it was OK to do so. The best way to handle this situation is to simply email the owner of the TB about to be assimilated and see if they mind. Star Trek fans would love it possibly, others might not. The symbiotic TB idea sounds great, just make sure with a simple email to the owner if it is ok to either 'tag' along with another TB, or assimilate another TB. I personally attached a geocachetreasure.com coin to 6 of 5, as those coins cannot be tracked online, and thought this was a great way to see where my coin goes. The owner of 6 of 5 and I were in contact. As with many other issues regarding TBs and geocaching, the simple courtesy of an email to an owner can serve to eliminate a lot of confusion about what happens to someone's travel bug.

I am not sure whether this is what you had in mind, but here is the true story of TB Bamse.

Bamse was started in southern Sweden with the goal of reaching the northernmost cache in Sweden. Bamse got detoured to Germany on the way. Two Danish TB's (Nalle and Nisse) were sent out with the mission "find Bamse". Bamse went MIA in Germany. Bamse's owner fielded a new TB Bamse with the same mission, and a geocacher near the cache in Germany that disappeared with the original Bamse in it also fielded a new TB (Pauli) with the same mission. In the meantime, a new Danish TB (Blues Bear) was sent out to go search for the old Bamse, who went MIA in Germany.

Current status:

- original Bamse is MIA

- new Bamse is in Abisko, far north in Sweden, but not the goal cache

- Nisse is with Bamse

- Nalle is in Oslo, Norway, still looking for Bamse

- Pauli is in southern Sweden

- Blues Bear is on a detour in Finland

Nalle and Pauli met in Trollhättan (southern Sweden) one fine summer evening, and then went their separate ways again.

Nisse and Bamse have been traveling together for some time, but they almost got separated on the way when a cacher initially took just one of them from the cache where they originally met.

I just ordered some new TB tags, so I might as well go ahead, design the Symbiont TB, and see what happens. ;)

Whatever.

I will definitely find something fun. :P

I have some new tags coming, how about me setting up a second symbiont bug and giving it the ultimate mission of fusing with yours somewhere?

Now that I know that the idea is not original and has been done, I have lost interest.

Oh well. At least my Patron Saint of Great Caches Past kinda seems original enough. :o

On the other hand, I am still working on my music travel bug which will be a burned CD of all the best genius female singers in my friends collection, with emphasis on songs never heard on the radio. 10 hours of rockin' beauty in mp3 format . Videos too. This will be cool. ;)