Magnetic Caches?

Dan-oh

I'm looking for some cache ideas that involve magnets and not just hide-a-key type micros. Those are OK for the right place but thats not what I'm after.

I'm pondering the magnetic tot-loc thats used for locking cabinets. You pass their magnet over it and you can open the door. Do you see where I'm going with this? Couple it with a hide-a-key multi-cache and the hide-a-key becomes the key.

Any experiences with magnets to retrieve caches in remote locations, for holding large caches in strange places or anything similar? I'll take any ideas you got.

There are a few caches in Boston where a magnet has been written on with magic marker. The three digits needed for the decimal portion of the next stage in the cache are written and you just need to enter them into the GPSr.

Another few caches in Boston are coins super-glued to a magnet and then attached to the undersides of metal things. The verification comes by mailing some information about the coin to the cache hider.

I took a flexible white sheet of magnetic material (sold as duct covers), cut it into a strip, glued a logbook to the back, stuck some numbers and letters on the front and attached it to a guardrail. Can't say I originated the idea, but its a good one. And Harrald really, really, really hates it.

304577be-160b-4373-bdd7-2bd604b3719a.jpg

1bdb61a8-ef0a-4df2-beae-4a0f91cabafb.jpg

Edited by briansnat
One thing I see about having something that is needed to open a cache as part of a multi cache is that people aren't going to return the needed part(key) to the correct leg of the multi....

Is there a minumum distance between legs of a multi? I might have a high success rate if it was close and passing by it was the only way in/out.

Maybe?

I took a flexible white sheet of magnetic material (sold as duct covers), cut it into a strip, glued a logbook to the back, stuck some numbers and letters on the front and attached it to a guardrail. Can't say I originated the idea, but its a good one. But Harrald really, really, really hates it.

Any significance for the "BE7Y"?

We have a cache that is a bucket around 25-35 liters big (!) and it's has a biiig magnetic on the side of it.

We are looking for somewhere to place it.. The magnet is from an CB radio antenna, you know the type you place with a big magnetic thing on the roof. We skipped the antenna och instead placed it on the side of a big plastic bucket.

Where the antenna used to be did we instead place a screw with the same dimensions as the antenna, and we drilled a hole in the bucket. On the inside of the bucket did we place some very thin but strong metal sheet to 'spread the weight on the whole side of the bucket'...

This bucket will be able to hold at least a couple of kilo of things... The magnet is about the size of 10 cm (round)...

We doesn't have it at our home, so I will try to fix some pictures next week on it.

The idea is really smart, the problem is to find a place to place it. I wouldn't call it "to hide it", because you can't hide anything in that size :tongue:

I took a flexible white sheet of magnetic material (sold as duct covers), cut it into a strip, glued a logbook to the back, stuck some numbers and letters on the front and attached it to a guardrail.  Can't say I originated the idea, but its a good one. And Harrald really, really, really hates it.

I did a cache like this recently but it was set up as a mystery cache. There was a code word written to the back of the magnet that I needed to email to the placer of the cache . We had a blast looking for this one. I don't want to give too much away but it was a picture on the flat sheet like magnet that was strategically placed on the object ( cache holder) that had us stumped for a while but we laughed so hard when we figured it out.

I took a flexible white sheet of magnetic material (sold as duct covers), cut it into a strip, glued a logbook to the back, stuck some numbers and letters on the front and attached it to a guardrail. Can't say I originated the idea, but its a good one. And Harrald really, really, really hates it.

Briansnat: I love that magnetic sheet material idea. In the city there are tons of utility boxes and traffic light boxes, all perfect for placement. I'm thinking of placing the coords to a multi on the back side of one. Now what should the front have? Time to bust out PhotoShop and get creative.

BTW, I just got my fist order of rare earth magnets in from National Imports. Very strong! For sure they'll hold the dummy electrical box up. Haha!

There is a cacher in our area with a real thing for magnets. It took him a few months of research (with all of us in the area as guinea pigs) before he found the right type of magnets and the right type of glue and the right way to get them to stick to decon boxes and other things (he really loves his heavily modified decon boxes).

From what I've seen the best route seems to be VERY strong magnets, very strong but flexible glue, and then a wrap or two with camo duct tape. Personally, my thought had been to glue a thin strip of metal inside the decon and then put the magnets on the outside and not worry too much about how attached they are. But, that would mean relying on the finder to always put them back right and that might be a bit of a stretch.

One of those little "life's lessons learned" for me, though. I sat his magnetized decon box on my lap while I filled out the log at one of his caches. My cache bag was also on my lap. My cache bag contained a very nice Silva compass. That compass now refuses to point north.

Please be aware that there are people like me out there. :tongue:

Bret

I have 3 using magnets.

One is an electrical box magnetically attached in a dry location so it kinda looks like it belongs there.

2 others are attached to common park objects. One of them gets wet- darn!

I use round magnets purchased at my local True Value. They are rated for about 40-60 lbs- plenty adequate to hold an altoids tin.

I took a flexible white sheet of magnetic material (sold as duct covers), cut it into a strip, glued a logbook to the back, stuck some numbers and letters on the front and attached it to a guardrail.  Can't say I originated the idea, but its a good one. And Harrald really, really, really hates it.

I did a cache like this recently but it was set up as a mystery cache. There was a code word written to the back of the magnet that I needed to email to the placer of the cache . We had a blast looking for this one. I don't want to give too much away but it was a picture on the flat sheet like magnet that was strategically placed on the object ( cache holder) that had us stumped for a while but we laughed so hard when we figured it out.

I used that stuff to make a magnetic bumper sticker for my truck when a local bank go me mad. So I got even. It has been there for almost 6 months.