Geo-hot Potato

travisl

Well this was added to the cache page

To Whom It May Concern: The Elven is no longer accepting potatoes. Please make a note of it. The nocturnal visits to the cache, with so many cars coming and going, has disturbed immediate residents and, unfortunately, phone calls from said residents in the middle of the wee morning. To keep my cache fun for all, please have a captain from each team e-mail that they understand this. TravisL, remember when I gave you my Rainbow and my ammo cans? I'm about at that point again.....

I feel bad, but a cache is a cache. I didn't see any hours posted on this cache. I did post a note saying I was sorry, and I truly am. I know I wouldn’t want to make anyone in my neighborhood mad at me for all these cars driving around at all hours of the day and night. That is why I haven’t placed any caches in the park by my house. Kids I know live there and I didn’t want to add any traffic to the neighborhood.

So for now it looks like he disabled it so people would leave it alone for a while.

NomadRaven Posted on Jan 16 2004, 09:11 AM

If you go back and edit it, it'll put in a timestamp for you. We might want to start doing that, just to avoid clock discrepancies.

Great idea guys. Can we ask the team captians to suggest this to their teams.

TravisL What do you think about putting this suggestion on the bug log page?

EDIT: Corrected spelling

Edited by Happy Gillmore

If you go back and edit it, it'll put in a timestamp for you. We might want to start doing that, just to avoid clock discrepancies.

Isn't there a time that you can edit the log without the time stamp showing up. We need to know that time so that we can wait long enough to make sure it is there.

The e-mails that get sent out when the Potato is logged have a timestamp on them. They seem to be off my a few minutes but accurate enough.

The rules do state the logs need to include the time it was logged so even though the e-mail stamps it however you decide to do it, whether by editing or writing it in your log, it needs to be on the page.

I'm hoping Team North has an explanation of where the TB is. From the description of how Team South looked in the cache it seems thorough enough that Team North simply saying they now have it isn't enough. If it's how I think it was done, bravo Team North. If it's a legal way I haven't thought of wow! :bad: If it's because the TB wasn't actually in the cache I hope I don't have to pull out my frowny face again. :unsure:

One final note: I will be going out of town later today and won't be back until Sunday morning (maybe Saturday night). If for some reason you need a ruling before I get back, CurmudgeonlyGal knows how to get hold of me. But I don't see why you'd need to. Just remember to play nice. :(

Isn't there a time that you can edit the log without the time stamp showing up. We need to know that time so that we can wait long enough to make sure it is there.

Duh! After all that I look at the top of EVERY single message and see that the time posted is already there :unsure:

I protest and cross-post this to the official thread for this game.

Let's also think this through per the rules of the game:

Per the last sentence in rule 10:

Unfair play, like removing caches in front of the other team, will not be accepted.

That was a virtual removal of the cache without legitimately finding the potato at the cache.

When Pepper decides to bow out of a game, we really need to look at what direction this game is going.

It is no longer fun and the tone has become... just this side of being nasty.

There was a new perception voiced, and I feel it is legitimate and needs to be addressed.

The placement of the potato into other trade items.

The Pandora's Box is open and if we don't collectively close it, we will have a lot of cache owners really ticked off at us and the game.

The way the game has gone, will provide a means for the trinkets to be torn apart while looking for the potato. We need to agree this is not a good thing. It is a BAD idea with the potential of getting out of control really quick.

I know the North started it. With the constraints against us, we felt we had know choice. South concurred this was a good idea. I hope the above perception of where it is going will bring us to a conclusion this needs to be squashed.

BTW... I still stand by my previous protest of rule 10 violation.

The way the game has gone, will provide a means for the trinkets to be torn apart while looking for the potato. We need to agree this is not a good thing. It is a BAD idea with the potential of getting out of control really quick.

FWIW, in this case, all turned out well. All of the junk has been removed from the cache (I consider McToys junk), and the junkhas been replaced with all brand new items. It cost me a few bucks, but the owner is probably happy for the improvments made to his/her cache. We did NOT give this game a bad name!

On the other hand, I do agree that, although well done, this may have gone beyond the limits of good gamesmanship. Perhaps the umpire should impose a temporary rule that can be formalized before the start of the next game.

FWIW, in this case, all turned out well.  All of the junk has been removed from the cache (I consider McToys junk), and the junkhas been replaced with all brand new items.  It cost me a few bucks, but the owner is probably happy for the improvments made to his/her cache.

The owner of the cache (me) is 'not' in the least bit happy. 'Nuff said.

FWIW, in this case, all turned out well. All of the junk has been removed from the cache (I consider McToys junk), and the junkhas been replaced with all brand new items. It cost me a few bucks, but the owner is probably happy for the improvments made to his/her cache. We did NOT give this game a bad name!

I'm afraid you missed the point with that statement. I did infer potential when I said

provide a means for the trinkets to be torn apart

It is a BAD idea with the potential of getting out of control really quick

That post was more to the point to head off a problem before it becomes a problem.

All of the junk has been removed from the cache (I consider McToys junk), and the junkhas been replaced with all brand new items. It cost me a few bucks, but the owner is probably happy for the improvments made to his/her cache.

I would like to think that cachers put items in trade that will be of value to some finder. If they doen't meet my standards, I don't trade. A total swap would be an unfair imposition of my values. I do know how I would feel if my wife swapped the "Junk" I have in the garage with her "Stuff" :unsure:

All of the junk has been removed from the cache (I consider McToys junk), and the junkhas been replaced with all brand new items.  It cost me a few bucks, but the owner is probably happy for the improvments made to his/her cache.

I really had to think about this one.

Is this a rationalization to defend the decision to remove the "junk" or to keep the potato out of the defending hands when the 3 hour window expired?

In essence - Would you have done this if it was an ordinary hunt? You did advise this could get expensive... so from that statement, I could surmise the answer would ordinarily be - No you wouldn't. I could be wrong. :unsure:

The owner of the cache (me) is 'not' in the least bit happy.  'Nuff said.

You know, VDS, if you would like, I'll be more than happy to go back and put all the junk back in the cache and take all my brand new trade items out. 'nuff said!

Offense taken.

Now, I can see people being very angry with me if I were a pirate, and simply took everything from the cache without filling it back up. But, in this case, I followed proper procedure. I removed items, and I replaced them with items I had. Everyone here does the same thing, to a degree, everytime they go geocaching. If someone went out and traded every item out of a cache of mine, I could care less. As long as they traded up, as I did, or even. That is what the cache is there for. That is what this game is based on. Good grief!

Come on now! Everyone knows the collective "cache contents" is made from the "take something, leave something" rule. Variety is always good, but better a Mc-Anything over what I've found in some caches! Or stuff nearby caches (like the FUN magazines at Auburn lookout - and Hazard has the newer editions I'm sure.) Come on over to Elven for some geocaching.com little loot and trade a non-potato TB or other item. Don't worry, boys, I'll leave the light on. - CT

VDS and Ajetpilot - with all due respect, the contents really isn't the question here although that certainly can be held as a sidebar discussion.

It's the motivation and intent as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps this discussion should take a positive spin and maybe look at it dispassionately and objectively from both sides without the intent to disparage anybody. It is clearly a sticking point and should be resolved amicably.

I don't know about the south team, but the north has seen some disintegration over the fact there is no chance to bring the game to a draw (much less a win) if the tactics taken are to be considered within the spirit of the game.

Let's not let this escalate to a pissing match.

Edited by TotemLake
Ok so now what? :unsure:

Looks like this HP thing is getting a little too hairy for my blood.

I think I'll be a fan in the stands! :bad:

Y'all have fun now... (keep it clean).

Pepper

I hear ya, Pepper. Ditto for me. Anybody on Team South want this thing? Just email me, and its yours.

"Y'all have fun now... (keep it clean)."

Bruce