Travel Bugs At Events

The Gidzagubbagoos

I started geocaching about 2 months ago and have gotten interested in logging TBs. I have only found 10 so far but if I have a choice of finding a cache with a bug and one without a bug I go for the bug. There recently was an event cache and when I looked at it that morning there were about 30 bugs at the event!! Theoretically I could go there, write down all 30 numbers and log them, right? But that seems kind of weird. It is somewhat hard to find bugs and so to all of the sudden get 30 in that way doesn't quite seem right. Any thoughts on the matter? BTW if this is a repeat please go easy on me, I did search on this but didn't find anything.

Oh you lucky fiend - 10 bugs in 2 months! In South Africa, Tbs are harder to come by. I've only got 5 in 7 months :D

Anyway, I read about a Travel bug swapping event cache in UK, where people came specifically to swap bugs, so I don't know if yours was like that. Naturally, you would only be allowed to log the travel bugs that you swap with one of the other caches at the event, so if you didn't swap any, no logs for you I fear :(

Was the event EELBOY's 1st Event Cache discussed in this thread with these photos of Travel Bugs?

If so, this was a special event with a heck of a lot of advance planning kicking off yet another large bug race.

also: http://users.rcn.com/brad.32/geocaching/tbrace.htm

As a note: While my bug is in the race and in the photos, no one's logged him yet, so even though all those bugs were there, no one (at least so far) wrote down all the numbers and logged them all.

I tend to agree. I like checking up on TBs I've found and I just don't think it would be the same if I logged a bunch that I hadn't actually found outside of taking down their numbers at an event.

That said, I have no problem swapping a couple at an event to help on their journeys.

All of the bugs at EELBOY's event were taken by the end of the event. There were 26 CircumConUS racers and about 10-15 regular bugs. Some people were under the impression that they should trade bug for bug, but, at least for the racers, they needed to be distributed.

I've been to two geocaching events. People did not write down the tracking numbers of the bugs at them. The bugs people logged were the ones they took.

It's whatever you choose. Some bug hunters will grind all of bug numbers at an event. Although I've been a top bug hunter, I'll usually just trade even or 2 for 1 if there's extras (as there often are at events). I might 'note' a few more bugs and grind their numbers, if they are interesting bugs.

This may be an unpopular comment but I am good at making unpopular comments because I type before I think... but... I dont think a person should log a TB without taking it. The whole philosophy behind a travelbug is for it to travel - not sit still. If you are going to find a cache and you don't actually take the bug with you then don't copy down numbers just so you can log it... unless you are doing so for your own personal traveler.

This may be an unpopular comment but I am good at making unpopular comments because I type before I think... but... I dont think a person should log a TB without taking it. The whole philosophy behind a travelbug is for it to travel - not sit still. If you are going to find a cache and you don't actually take the bug with you then don't copy down numbers just so you can log it... unless you are doing so for your own personal traveler.

Not an unpopular comment from my point of view. That's the way it should be done.

but you could also look at it this way; when you picked up the bug you moved it. I'm not talking about while your in the middle of nowhere at a cache. In Houston for a Christmas event there was a TB tree with about 40 TBs on it that everyone contributed. As a TB owner I'd like to see everyone sign my TB's log that handled my TB in some way. Even if that meant unhooking it from the tree just long enough to jot down the number. Thats one thing about geocaching is in this case one can play one way and another by his own way and no one's toes are stepped on.

Another situation would be if your TB with a specific goal had been sitting in a cache for a while and its found by a cacher who chooses not to take it because he respects the TB's goal and recognizes he cannot help it in any way. Its good to see that the TB is still present and accounted for. I can't tell you how many problems my 3 tb's have had through cachers not logging them in. Its really frustrating. For someone to say on this particular day I saw this bug at this spot is a welcomed site. Like ab update of some sort.

Edited by pnew
but you could also look at it this way; when you picked up the bug you moved it. I'm not talking about while your in the middle of nowhere at a cache. In Houston for a Christmas event there was a TB tree with about 40 TBs on it that everyone contributed. As a TB owner I'd like to see everyone sign my TB's log that handled my TB in some way. Even if that meant unhooking it from the tree just long enough to jot down the number. Thats one thing about geocaching is in this case one can play one way and another by his own way and no one's toes are stepped on.

Another situation would be if your TB with a specific goal had been sitting in a cache for a while and its found by a cacher who chooses not to take it because he respects the TB's goal and recognizes he cannot help it in any way. Its good to see that the TB is still present and accounted for. I can't tell you how many problems my 3 tb's have had through cachers not logging them in. Its really frustrating. For someone to say on this particular day I saw this bug at this spot is a welcomed site. Like ab update of some sort.

I wholeheartedely agree on all points stated! That is the beauty of interpretation. Indeed it would also be nice just to know a bug is still around.

you dont log all the bugs that are in the same room as you. If the TB is out there on the table for you to log, heck you log it. You found it. You don't grab a list at the door with all the TBs names on it and go straight back home to log them in and gather a TB find +1. Its the same as logging a TB out of a cache and then passing it to someone else before it gets logged back into a cache. Does it hurt you if I log the TB? Then why do you care? If I found the TB; it was in my hands therefore I think I have a right to be able to follow it in the list of TBs I've found. I dont understand why you seem to have such beef with it.

...and believe me if it was a "stats thing" I'd have alot more then 35 tb's found.

Edited by pnew

I don't think you can make a rule for this sort of thing. It depends on the TB. If I recall one of the TBs that had the most logs before the rebuild of the TB pages sat on a dog's collar. If the goal of the TB was to get the dog scratched behind the ears then I can see a LOT of people justifyably logging that dog at events. If the goal of TB is to make children smile than any kid at the event should feel free to log it.

Now if you want to restict when someone logs YOUR tb, that's fine. It's your TB after all. But I'm not sure it's appropriate to start making demands about how everyone else handles someone else's TB.

Edited by bons

I most often ignore bugs at an event. Occasionally I have grabed one and taken it with me, in that case I log it and nobody else there does. An event is just another cache to me. Only one person can find, remove, and log a bug from a cache be it an event cache or a traditional cache. At least that is how I learned to play the game. Besides all this talk of bugs at events is making me wonder whether I should get a shot before or after :D

At the events around here, that I have attended, no one has done that. And really, why would you? Unless you are physically taking and placing the bug, I don't think you should log it. If one of my bugs got taken to an event where 30 people logged it, I would be mad. In my opinion only the person who takes the bug, or places it should be in the log. Just because you saw it doesn't mean you helped it along to its goal, therefore you shouldn't be included in the bugs history log.

Edit to add: Unless, of course, the bug's page states it wants that sort of inflation.

Edited by OurWoods

it still ceases to amaze me why you care about other people's bugs? Say I logged a TB at an event but did not actually take it. It was in my hands and there for, to me I found it. I go home and log it as found and the TB owner doesn't like it. He tells me to delete my log and I comply or else he deletes it with out consulting. It still shows up in my TB found list so I have easy access to its records to see where it goes next. In that respect the word "inflation" doesn't really make any sense.

Just because you saw it doesn't mean you helped it along to its goal, therefore you shouldn't be included in the bugs history log.

that was apart of your "in my opinion" right? Its cool and you are entitled to that but it sure does sound like you're exacting "your opinion" on someone who doesn't share the same. How about you do it your way and I do it mine. If I ever come across one of your TBs at an event, and end up logging it but don't move it to a cache (event caches aren't exactly a physical ammo can/container in the woods anyway) by all means delete my log and have fun doing so. Delete my undeserving pictures as well. That way my undeserving log stays out of your TB log and your TB's name still stays in my list of TBs found for future reference. Everyone's happy... unless you're still bitter that I touched your TB... undeservingly.

Edited by pnew