Great Hides

I am looking for some great ways to hide a cache in a remote desert setting. It does not need to be an ammo box or anything, just big enough to hold a small peice of paper, as they are part of a multi. I am trying to make each part of the multi be 5+difficulty. I am already using puzzles to locate the main cache but I would like each step to be really well hidden, enough to be considered 5rateing if they were a stand alone cache. I have 2 stages for which I have not yet imagened a way to hide them. Any ideas?????

There are only so many options...

In a strategic rock cleft can be a 4.5. Or if it's the only one a 2

You can cammo the container to blend in with the natural terrain. A sand layer blued on it for example.

Maybe there are other better ideas. It will also depend in part on your specific dester. The high desert in Idaho is one thing. The Mojave another.

Maybe there are other better ideas. It will also depend in part on your specific dester. The high desert in Idaho is one thing. The Mojave another.

Sonoran Desert, outside of Tucson. You know, where creasote and Mesquite trees dominate. Well the name of the area might imply Ironwood Trees (Ironwood Forest National Monument) their are very few.

How bout a hollowed out cactus?!?!?!?

I've encountered a Tucson area cache that uses a 35mm film canister fitted snugly into the base of a fake cactus. I checked your finds and you haven't encountered it yet, but it is pretty effective. The sun will probably degrade the plastic over time, so you might be replacing the cactus camo say annually.

I met the diabolical cacher who placed this cache and found out that the fake cactus is available from Michael's, the craft store.

Edited by Mule Ears

I think there is a species of bird that makes it's nest by digging a hollow into the trunk of a live saguaro cactus. If you can find an abandoned nest it might make a nice hiding spot. Obviously you don't want to start digging holes in cacti, or chasing birds away from their homes. But if you can find an abandoned nest it might be worth a shot.

I think there is a species of bird that makes it's nest by digging a hollow into the trunk of a live saguaro cactus. If you can find an abandoned nest it might make a nice hiding spot.

There are a number of birds that nest inside cactus holes but I would be very hesitant about hiding one there. Just because it may be abandoned at one time doesn't mean a bird won't try to nest there later. Most of these birds are protected by the Migratory Species Act. And some birds such as the Elf Owl are considered endangered or threatened species and you could get in real trouble for disturbing a nest or damaging a potential nest area.

How about in the mouth of or underneath a fake yet realistic looking snake? im sure they make high quality hard rubber snakes curled up as though they were ready to strike.....and then a motion sensing rattle noise maker.....

Not unless you want it full of 9mm and .45 sized holes! ;)

How about in the mouth of or underneath a fake yet realistic looking snake?  im sure they make high quality hard rubber snakes curled up as though they were ready to strike.....and then a motion sensing rattle noise maker.....

Not unless you want it full of 9mm and .45 sized holes! ;)

Ummmm, lets not forget .40's

You could try using an old rusted can that's half burried and looks like trash.

Or how about under a fake animal turd. ;)

Uhm I don't think you should bury anything. It's kind of against the rules.

I've been thinking about how to make fake Cow piles, not somthing I'm proud of but it never would have happened except for goecaching. :lol:

You could try using an old rusted can that's half burried and looks like trash.

Or how about under a fake animal turd. ;)

Uhm I don't think you should bury anything. It's kind of against the rules.

I've been thinking about how to make fake Cow piles, not somthing I'm proud of but it never would have happened except for goecaching. :lol:

Try getting a real one, letting it dry out, then apply some acrylic over it and a matte spray to finish it off. It may work.

I'm not that into the idea. I was thinking I would use alfalfa pellets and fibre glass resin mixed to the "right consistancy" maybe a littl black paint tint to darken.

My god I just realized how sick I've gotten, I need help, fast. ;)

You could always feed a micro to the cow and let him camo it naturally.

A utility looking box attached to a pole right in the middle of town, locked with a padlock....

The question I asked refered to desert, as in way out in the middle of nowhere, but a variation with a gate post at a ranch might work. :rolleyes:

Make a marker that looks like a survey marker. Hide the cache inside. Use a piece of PVC pipe and paint it up orange and white and plant it out there.

There is an old abandoned car in the hills close to where I live that used to support a cache until it was plundered. I was thinking of using it for the first step in a multi cache. Maybe scratching the coordinates of the second stop into the trunk or roof of the car. I believe that is about all that is left of the car anyway. There are probably more than a few derelict cars in the desert as well.

:rolleyes:

There is an old abandoned car in the hills close to where I live that used to support a cache until it was plundered. I was thinking of using it for the first step in a multi cache. Maybe scratching the coordinates of the second stop into the trunk or roof of the car. I believe that is about all that is left of the car anyway. There are probably more than a few derelict cars in the desert as well.

:rolleyes:

Now thats a good idea, Hmmm....

Pehaps a piece of sheet metal with coords stamped (or written) on one side, sand and gravel glued/epoxied to the other.  With nearly no dimension it would be very difficult to see and it isn't buried.

I don't think I would be able to find it!!

Well you gotta bring your metal detector. Mega-geek in action, GPSr in one hand, sweeping metal detecor in the other!