New To This Hobby. Some Questions

Imajika

Hi there. Some friends of mine were visiting us from Texas this week and he had a GPS unit with him. When we were up in the mountains, I started playing with the GPS he had and decided I needed one. Then he told me about geocaching and how much fun it was. I came to this site and decided I was going to go buy a GPS unit today! I have narrowed my choice down to an Etrex Legend or a Megellen Meridian.

Here are my many questions: <_<

1. I thought this would be a good hobby to do while my husband is away in Korea (he's in the Air Force). I figured it would get me out of the house and give me a chance to geocache plus play with my new digital camera. Does anyone else out there do this hobby alone?

2. Do all GPS units come with an elevation/altitude function? I live in Denver and go to the mountains a lot. I'd like to see just how far I am up in the mountains!

3. Do all GPS units use only specific software made for them? Can you use something like Microsoft Streets and Trips to add info?

4. In your opinion, is the Legend a good GPS for a beginner? Is it worth the price for what I am going to do with it (geocache, hike, get directions on road trips)?

5. Eventually, I want to make my own cache. Any advice on what types of things to put in it or where good hiding places are?

Thanks for any advice! I am off to the store to buy my new toy today. I am going to start with some caches in my immediate area. Hopefully, I'll be able to find them all! :wacko:

I know these are a lot of questions but I figured I would ask the experts. :lol:

THANKS!

1. Yes, many people do this alone.

2. Yes, some use barometric pressure, most use the GPS signal.

3. Each GPS manufacturer has their own software. You're pretty much stuck with MapSource for Garmin and MapSend for Magellan.

4. Never used it, but I'm sure it will work fine for you.

5. Go find a few caches to get good ideas for trade items and hiding places.

Have fun with your new hobby!

1) A lot of cachers go alone, myself included. There is a whole thread on these forums dedicated to just that

2) Yes/No they do record altitude but the accuracy is not very good, some have altimeters built in but those are affected by barometric pressure.

3) For maps you must use the manufactures software. There is a wide selection of software for way-points, tracks etc.

4) I use a Legend, and yes it is good for all of that. It doesn't do autorouting but you can lookup addresses in it etc.

5) Dollar store stuff mostly. Do a few caches first and you will get the idea. Hide them near my house <_<

<_<

Look at it this way.

Take the total cost of the unit, and software, then divide that figure by the amount of times that you will use the GPS to do something fun in an entire year. The result is a "cost per cache" figure, and I suspect it will end up less than the cost of a Starbucks coffee.

When people ask about getting a GPS, I suggest to get one that you will use in the most amount of places, activities, and uses. Many people want to get one "just for boating" or "just for hiking". That is pretty limited, as I point out to people that you spend far more time driving in your car than actually using your boat or hiking, so why not get a unit that is suitable for BOTH.

I highly recommend the Legend if you want a less expensive GPS. Yes, you could get a non-mapping unit but why would you unless it is for a back up unit.

The Legend when combined with a mapsource product will help you find addresses, find ATM or bank machines, find Gas stations, restaurants, etc etc. You can also upload Topographical maps and have a detailed map of your hiking trails. You can get a bike mount and use it to cycle train, find a favorite fishing spot, find your way back to the car at the park or at the mall. Get a car mount for your unit and use it, get a carry case and then pack it with you for walks, get the most use out of your GPS and enjoy it.

As for choices of unit;

-Consider who has the biggest share of the GPS market, who has the most choice of maps available and for what price, a cheap unit is useless if the maps available cost more than the unit, or if the maps don't cover your area.

-Consider who has the best warranty, which unit is waterproof, shockproof and who stands behind their product when the warranty does run out.

-Consider who offers free firmware upgrades for all of their products. Then consider who owns the company who makes the units.

-Consider what else the manufacturer makes, they may make a great toaster, but what do they know about GPS units.

-Consider that certain manufacturers make units for Military and Commercial aviation uses, chances are they really know what they are doing and how to make it work well.

-Consider that you likely spent far less time to research your television, stereo or automobile purchase than you did your GPS purchase.

-Consider that if you buy from a good dealer, and not just be concerned about saving a few pennies the dealer will SHOW YOU HOW TO USE YOUR NEW GPS, and that makes it useful to you right out of the box.

I considered all of these things when I decided to sell GPS units. That is why I chose the American owned company of GARMIN. Ask anyone who really knows how to use theirs, and you will understand.

Welcome to GEOCACHING!

I have the Meridium and am very happy with it. What I have found out is whichever unit you start with you usually love. So they must all be pretty good.

My Platium has very accurate elevation. Within a few feet of posted elevations.

Have fun and you'll probably discover that you'll only use a few functions so you really don't need the top of the line. You don't want the bottom either. Enjoy yourself and keep us posted.

As for choices of unit;

-Consider who has the biggest share of the GPS market, who has the most choice of maps available and for what price, a cheap unit is useless if the maps available cost more than the unit, or if the maps don't cover your area.

-Consider who has the best warranty, which unit is waterproof, shockproof and who stands behind their product when the warranty does run out.

-Consider who offers free firmware upgrades for all of their products. Then consider who owns the company who makes the units.

-Consider what else the manufacturer makes, they may make a great toaster, but what do they know about GPS units.

-Consider that certain manufacturers make units for Military and Commercial aviation uses, chances are they really know what they are doing and how to make it work well.

-Consider that you likely spent far less time to research your television, stereo or automobile purchase than you did your GPS purchase.

-Consider that if you buy from a good dealer, and not just be concerned about saving a few pennies the dealer will SHOW YOU HOW TO USE YOUR NEW GPS, and that makes it useful to you right out of the box.

I considered all of these things when I decided to sell GPS units. That is why I chose the American owned company of GARMIN. Ask anyone who really knows how to use theirs, and you will understand.

Welcome to GEOCACHING!

<_< Ditto

I am curious about whether the other responders are males or females. Since most of the responses focused on equiptment, I'm assumming they are male :unsure: I immediately related to your concern about geocaching alone. I am new to this hobby as well and absolutely love it! (Favorite memories of childhood are Easter Egg hunts, metal detecting w/Dad-this hobby RIGHT up my alley) But I can tell you that many caches are in secluded places. Unfortunately, I just don't feel comfortable alone in a wooded park on a secluded trail. Lucky for men that don't feel quite so vulnerable. My only answer so far is to take along anyone that will come. Unfortunately, my husband had only one hunt in him and each of my kids are happy with the one hunt they each accompanied me on. Luckily, I have a few friends that love it and I look at this as an opportunity to call some acquaintances and invite them along making some new friends along the way.

Ah I decided on a Garmin Etrex Legend. I picked it up today. So far, I am very impressed with it. I used it to find my very first cache today. My husband and I also went out to dinner and a movie tonight. I took it with us in the car (cough:geek:cough) and I was veryy impressed. Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

I went alone on my first cache hunt today. It took me a while but I did it! I only got a little freaked out once because I heard some rabbits in the wooded area. At first I thought it might be a person but I yelled, "Hello!" and then saw two rabbits running by me. After that I went back to hunting and I found it!

Thanks again guys!

-Brenna

Congratulations on your first find! Ok are you ready for this.... I am a man and I am not going to talk about equipment. Most of the caches in my area are way out in the boonies where even the cell phone won't work. My wife loves to geocache as much as I do and we even considered buying a second gps. The reason that we didn't was because I was not comfortable with her wandering around the woods by herself and neither was she. Take a friend, or better yet do what I do and take a huge dog! In all seriousness, if you do not feel comfortable alone that will only take away from the enjoyment of it. Your safety is more important than finding an old metal can filled with kids toys. :unsure:

Welcome to this addictive hobby!

Mastifflover

I am also fairly new to this, but I thought I'd share some of my findings so far.

I usually go alone, but I always carry a cell phone in case something dreadful happens along the way. Use common sense when hiking alone, don't try any hazardous locations or terrain that may be dangerous for someone with little experience. Also, if you are hikng along a well established trail, mark the location on your GPSr when you leave the beaten trail. It will be easier to find your way back to the trail if you have been walking in circles trying to find the cache. The "breadcrumb trail" on you Etrex Legend can be of little help to find your way back if you have been walking in circles for any length of time and you have lost sight of the trail. ALLWAYS carry an extra set of fresh batteries, the battery meter on the Legend is not to be trusted.

I also use the Etrex Legend, although I bought it as a backup unit for offshore fishing trips in case the GPS on the boat quits. I bought the Legend because it was on sale at the time and it also had an attractive rebate offer. I love it. I find it quite adequate for geocaching and road trips.

I have the lowest of the low, a Garmin Geko 101, and I carry an extra charged set of batteries with me, just in case. I often go alone, though a lot of the time I take my dog, and sometimes I take my son (age 4), and occasionally Balboagirl herself will come along.

I can appreciate SunnyCyndi's apprehension, although for myself, this apprehension only occurs at night, and it usually has to do with finding my way back to the car. I make plenty of waypoints at night, especially if there is bushwhacking to be done. I have a terrible sense of direction. Luckily, I always know exactly where I am, right?

James