What? No One Is Talking About The New Rino 130????

Capitalpete

:unsure:B)B)

Ok, this caught me off guard. No one here is talking about the release of the new Rino 130?

24Mb, Fluxgate compass, sensors, weather radio, text messaging, GMRS/FRS, polling feature to request GPS fix from other Rino units... and the list goes on.

And you people are not talking about it????Where is CACHERUNNER? I thought she would be one of the first ones talking about this!LOL

Is this news or what?

Forgot to add: Available January 2004......Talk to your favorite Garmin Dealer soon!

Edited by Capitalpete

I'm not talking because

1. I just signed up. Gotta do the reading before the posting.

2. I just got a Rino 120. I don't want to think about how my brand new top-of-the-line Rino is being outdated in a short while.

Other than that...

The people that will want the textmessaging will be the hunters. Turn it on vibrate and you don't have to spook the deer. But then you run into the risk of losing the GPS never to find it again because the volume is turned off. I speak from experience. My dad got a 110 and I got a 120. He didn't tighten the swivel and lost the radio today. First day out with it too. B) We searched for a couple of hours through the marsh/wetlands but couldn't find it. My mom told us that's why he got the 110 and I got the 120 when we were opening our presents. Because she knew I wouldn't lose it and he might. :unsure: We thought she was joking when we opened the presents, but she turned out to be DEAD RIGHT.

BTW... I LOVE MY RINO!

Well obviously I'm still a tadpole, I just got a Rino 120 for Christmas and looking forward to begin geocaching. I didn't even know the 130 existed until I checked out Garmin's website to check out info on the 120. I admit I was a little dissapointed to find out that my new top of the line Rino had already been topped by a new model, but so far I am very satisfied with the 120. If my needs ever exceed the capabilities of the 120 I will probably upgrade to the 130 - until then I know my Rino will work fine for geocaching.

You're exactly right. No need to get the "top of the line" when you're just learning. You'd be surprised to see all the long-timers here who are using a basic yellow Etrex. Bells and whistles don't find the cache better than a good ol' kazoo.

Enjoy your 120. :o

Edited by mrkablooey

Yeah, I lost my Rino 120 in the snow last winter when the post unscrewed while traversing a swamp. Found it almost 24 hours later.

They should include a washer to prevent that - but I stuck a bit of foam under the post and it keeps it from unscrewing too easily. With the radio turned off to save batteries - was tough to find in the snow - that dadgum post shouldn't unscrew so easily!

A bit of threadlock would work well too - but new Rino owners - take care!!!

Edited by HartClimbs
:o  :P  :D

Ok, this caught me off guard. No one here is talking about the release of the new Rino 130?

And you people are not talking about it????Where is CACHERUNNER? I thought she would be one of the first ones talking about this!LOL

The last time I looked over there, she was drooling all over my monitor, while perusing the Garmin Rino page. I have been relegated to the laptop, and it's inferior graphics.

It sure looks to me like a Vista wrapped up in an FRS radio shell. Very cool.

Edited by marinerBC

I just like bringing up the Rino page to hear the stampeding Rhino...hee hee! :D

I'm fine with my 120-I don't need the altimeter and all that jazz. I got the maps, I got the radio, I got the lanyard that doesn't come unscrewed-I'm golden! I did some research on it, and took off the belt clip as soon as I got it, because I'd heard about too many people losing theirs, I've lost my quota of GPSr's (one, for those who are curious), and I didn't care to continue the tradition. :D I've also been busy exploring my Zire 21, and seeing how it will enrich my caching experience ( a lot so far! :D). Looking forward to taking Mr. Rino and Mr. Zire to Olympia for the cache machine to see how well they get along. If they don't, at least I can play Battleship on the Zire! :unsure:

I just figured I'd add that I went out late that night that my dad lost the 110, and did a poll with my 120(didn't know you could do that until I read my manual). Got a lock on the 110 and did a small search but it was too dark, dense, and swampy. So we went back the next day to hunt some more and couldn't find it on our first search in the morning, but my dad found it on the second search in the afternoon!! Then I was using my 120 snowboarding at Whistler, BC on Monday and I hit some bumps and landed hard from a jump and the Rino came off it's clip. I didn't realize until I was at the bottom. I turned around and saw a couple people climbing up the hill to get it. I flagged them down as I ran towards them. Boy was I relieved! If I hadn't checked my belt I would have been screwed!!

TAKE CARE OF YOUR GPSr!!!

I'd recommend attaching a "keeper loop" to the Rino. Just one note - since the obvious place is to loop something through the hole in the antenna - be careful since that rubber cover just "pops" off the unit if it's pulled too hard.

Of course, that's where I tied my keeper loop, and it's saved the Rino from a fall from a motorcycle at 60 mph..... :blink:

You're exactly right.  No need to get the "top of the line" when you're just learning.  You'd be surprised to see all the long-timers here who are using a basic yellow Etrex.  Bells and whistles don't find the cache better than a good ol' kazoo.

Enjoy your 120.  :)

That is good to hear! I just received my first GPS for Xmas. I received a Rino 110 and am really loving it so far. I think starting out with any model is great. I also bought a sling backpack to keep my stuff in while caching. I bought this model off of ebay new. The cel phone pocket in the front sling fits the Garmin Rino brands perfectly.

I told my father-in-law about the 130 since he is in the market for one now too. ;)

b8_1.JPG

A bit of threadlock would work well too - but new Rino owners - take care!!!

take my advice as someone who has lost alot of walkie talkies and my gps a few times ( but was able to back track in my mind and find) get a belt case and a good beltand make a good habit of putting it in that case cuz no matter what belt clip or strap you have on it its shure to fail sooner or later

Edited by Hunt