Help On What To Buy!

Hello!

I'm wondering if some knowledgeable soul in this forum could help me. I wandered onto this website by mistake about six months ago, and thought "hm, that sounds interesting", bookmarked it, and promptly forgot about it. I remembered it again a week or two ago when searching for the perfect Christmas gift for my husband. Both of us love hiking, and try to get out as much as possible, and this seems like something we'd really like.

So I'd like to get my husband a GPS unit for Christmas, as well as a few other things to get us rolling. The question is, what to get?? I've been comparing the eTrex, eTrex Venture, Geko 101 and 201. I like that the eTrex model takes AA batteries (better life) and does the computer hook up - that seems like a pretty good thing. But I'm just not sure about what is really important for geocaching. Do I need built in memory? Is a MB that the venture gets me even worth it? Do I need WAAS? (And, um, what the heck is that?? I can look it up :) )

I want to get something cool that we can have fun with, but I don't want to get something that is so complicated to use that it isn't fun. We're both techies so I'm pretty sure we can handle most technology curves but I don't want to get more than we need.

Thanks so much!!

A good bet is the Garmen Legend.

The why's are simple. It's inexpensive but has mapping and everything you will want. Because it's inexpensive if later you learn you want more out of GPS you can sell it and upgrade to the perfect GPS you want with minimal loss in value.

On the other hand if money is no object then one of the new color GPS units from Garmin will prevent GPS envy for quite some time.

Most any unit will do. More money buys more bells and whistles. Except maybe for WAAS it won't buy more accuracy. WAAS is a correction system/signal that will compensate for errors in the basic GPS. Just about any unit will do, but I would advise against the Geko 101 because it doesn't have a computer connection.

The more advanced units will let you load a map so that you can see where "here" is in terms of a topo map, roads, etc. A non-mapping unit will only tell you where "here" is in relation to other points you've programmed or will give you the info to find yourself on a paper map.

Or you could go the simple route - buy the most expensive until you feel comfortable in buying. :D

i agree with the other post - the geko 101 is not a good choice. at some point in the future you will undoubtedly want to hook it up to a pc and you won't be able to - wasted $$$...

you don't list any mapping units - do you feel this would not be of any value to you? if so then any of the units you listed would be ok (except the 101).

that said i would recommend you consider a mapping unit however such as etrex legend or mag sportrak map/meridian gold. most people i've talked to eventually upgrade to a mapping gps. the difference in $$$ between a geko 201 and a legend is minimal - definitely worth the money. much more capability also.

being able to display topo maps on your gps might be very valuable in your geocaching.

waas is definitely nice to have because it is what takes your gps from 30 foot (10m) accuracy down to 10 feet (3m) (best case accuracies quoted). this is definitely nice when you're searching for somebody's "microcache"...

an autorouting gps such as the gps V, Ique or upcoming gps60, or any of the magellan models with direct route software are nice also because they can get you from your door to the vicinity of the cache "turn by turn".

don't know what your budget is but if you want the best and you've got a color printer/photocopier you could just give him a paper version of the gps60cs until the real thing ships in 2004... :D

Edited by Vlad

I started with the yellow etrex, and moved to the Venture about a year later. At this point I'm ready for the Legend, and wish I would have skipped the Venture. I vote for at least a Legend as a starter unit, especially since you're not afraid of gadgets.

You can download the various manuals from the Garmin website to see the differences, though this may not fit your "buy it for Christmas" timetable.

The eTrex Legend (as mentioned already) is just as easy, or even easier than the really basic units. The screen is easier to read, and the memory feature allows for the unit to grow with your hunger for this sport (or his). In fact, this unit is probably enough to keep the most intense cachers happy -- or at least most of them.

I found it really nice to download waypoints (cache coordinates in this case) right to the unit without the manual programming of them. Worth the extra money!

Hope this helps!

Bozz

Edited by Bozz

Tricky question. If you buy too cheap he'll know it and think you don't love him. Also, the lack of features on the low end models definitely make them less "fun."

But what if you spend $600 for a top-of-the-line unit and he never uses it and thinks geocaching is lame?

The eTrex legend is smack in the middle and would be a great gift!

Happy Holidays!

-Bob

While you are considering the various GPS receivers, consider the eTrex Vista. It is much like the Legend, but has more memory. This could be handy if he (you?) want to travel and load maps for specific areas into the GPS. The 24-MB capacity of the Vista will hold a lot of data, and I use mine on the road a lot because of that.

The prices on the Vista are not much more than the Legend. Depending on your budget, either would be a worthy choice.

Or.................... you could just spend a few hundred more and get him the GPS Map60CS :D .

Thank you all so much for your advice!! This really helped a lot - I didn't really have much of a clue about what I was doing (never stopped me before, but anyway)! Thanks to all of this wonderful advice, the eTrex Legend is the weapon of choice. It's on it's way to me now, courtesy of Amazon - and wow am I excited! (wait - this was supposed to be a gift for my husband, right?? :D )

Thanks so much, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. See you out there!

C.

I have the E-trex Vista and love it. I believe the Legend is very similar as far as operation. The E-trex as long as you don't get the bottom yellow one are easy to use. I have two friends that have the yellow ones and they really don't like them as much as my Vista. the 8mb of memory will be plenty for you starting out. If you have the computer cable you can take stuff off and put other on. Go to www.garmin.com and you can do a comparison of the different models.

I bought mine from www.gpsnow.com and also www.gpsdiscount.com has good prices. You won't get the final price on either place unless you click on add to my cart. There is some pretty good savings if your not afraid to buy online.

murph