Do you use other cache sites besides geocaching.com?

welch

I've been wondering how many people use more than one cache site? I use several for different ones depending on what I'm trying to find, but that doesn't answer my question icon_biggrin.gif

The question:

Do you use (collect cache data or use to locate caches) other caching sites besides GC.com (including user sites, group or state sites, other public sites, the magellan site, etc)?

here's the thing: last time i checked, all my local boxes were here. and i'm a one-stop-shopping kinda person.

i'd go elsewhere if there was anything out there that interested me, though. i'm also in favor of not putting all of one sport's eggs in the same institutional basket.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

here and azgeocaching.com, mainly because the second offers the information in a much better format (IMO), and offers more ways to obtain the same information. The MapSource waypoint files are great for planning a caching run in an area, because you can use the map to geographically narrow down the area you want to visit, with waypoints displayed that you can reference on gc.com to decide whether or not to go for it.

There's other reasons, such as individual state stats/rankings, but I spread the love between both.

Brian

Team A.I.

It would be almost a shame if the sport got splintered onto other sites. That could lead to all sorts of confusion, to say the least! And it could happen if somebody though there was money to made from it.

Lone Duck

The Quack Cacher

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I've cross listed a few of my older caches on the other site, just to see if I can drum up additional interest. Hasn't worked though. Just got some retroactive logs from people who already found the cache through this website.

I don't check the other website for caches to search for, because it lists few, if any caches that aren't already listed here. It seems I'm not the only person who cross lists caches there.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner of Team KKF2A:

Remember that competition is very healthy and spurs innovation.

That's true; so it's especially discouraging that every cache page I visited on that other site appears to be nothing more than a cut-and-paste copy of a cache also listed on this site.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner of Team KKF2A:

Remember that competition is very healthy and spurs innovation.

That's true; so it's especially discouraging that every cache page I visited on that other site appears to be nothing more than a cut-and-paste copy of a cache also listed on this site.

That's the fault of the users, though, not the site (I'm as guilty as anyone). That site *should* be giving people reasons to go there instead of here. Otherwise, it's not really competition.

As to the poll, I use the MiGO site a lot. This site for the listings and forums, MiGO for the forums and other features geared toward the local scene.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Relative Newbie speaking (alert, alert) : Interface and relationing between cachers, caches, TBs, forums is what we need. Will still use GAGB site for conferring about getting the sport expanded in the UK but will only use one database for caching. As said earlier in the thread, we started here, got hooked and will stop here if that becomes a necessity.

Andy and Dawn

(Where did all this wine come from ?)

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

That's the fault of the users, though, not the site (I'm as guilty as anyone).

Well, yes and no. The administrators of that site appear to have no interest, and have made no effort, in encouraging their members to post caches that would be unique to that website.

quote:
That site *should* be giving people reasons to go there instead of here.

Or "as well as here." I suppose that other website does serve a useful purpose ... database redundancy. The next time the geocaching.com server goes down, I'll go download some cache listings from over there, knowing that I'll be able to log them here once the problem has been fixed. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 04, 2003 at 09:43 AM.]

quote:

I guess I could have re-written my pages, but I didn't see the point. I'd post caches unique to that site, but I prefer that my caches get visited from time to time.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

my most recent cache, I experimented and placed it on this site and the N site. It's been logged 14 times on this site, nothing on the other. I guess I knew it would happen, but I wanted to try it.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

GC has the upper hand of course. As Dino pointed out, the fact that Navi cache doesn't get as much attention is the fault of the people as much as anything. If people don't post caches there on their site, then there won't be any. Cross posting doesn't help all that much. It's really only good for those over there, that don't bother with over here. Yes they might could do new things over there. I would like to see a better setup of hte board over all. I can't stand the Roman stlye fonts on it and the setup of the cache pages. I don't care too much for the scoring system either. (using both hides and finds to get an overall score). However the nice thing about them is that they are not biased on the type of caches. For those that like to place virtuals, they allow them easier. As far as virtuals, i'm even trying a little experiment of my own. There's nothing fancy or scoring.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

With several of the events at gc.com over the past month or so in mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of people had decided to reconsider their votes and their options.

I agree that gc.com remains the best site in terms of available caches, but it seems that the good folk here at gc.com are working very hard to make the other sites more attractive to us.

No, I don't. I rather like it here. These days I like it better if I don't read the forums (so what am I doing replying, right? I'm bored at work). The forums aren't all about caching anyway. Just a place for people to vent, I guess. I do like the to read the threads that are actually about caching and not the ones that are people who don't like the way it's run. Perhaps that other site is for them. I also mostly skip the "continue the story" threads, and the like. There's only so much time in the day. Me, I'll stick with the frog. Ribbit.

Planet