Dead Drops

I like it!

Looks cool! Technically that wouldn't be digging if you ask me, you're just shoving it into the ground! That would make it a real challenge!

Is it metal? You could require a metal detector to find it? Also where could you find one and how much would it cost?

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

Can you imagine the impact these micros would have if we did these? People would be pawing at the ground like a bunch of moles trying to find them!! I mean, I have seen some of the effects of people looking for a normal cach, let alone something in the ground. People will be showing up with pick axes and shovels trying to find them.

I just don't think these would be a good idea.

You're thinking of the most moronic of geocachers, a minority. If the cap had the logo on it and it was left with an inch out of the ground (which it would have to be to get a grip on it) it would be easy and fun. It's not likely you'll ever see one anyway, unless the CIA (who invented them) dumps a bunch on the surplus market through DRMO.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

You're thinking of the most moronic of geocachers, a minority. If the cap had the logo on it and it was left with an inch out of the ground (which it would have to be to get a grip on it) it would be easy and fun. It's not likely you'll ever see one anyway, unless the CIA (who invented them) dumps a bunch on the surplus market through DRMO.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but all it takes is 1 moronic cacher to ruin it for the rest of us. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

With all the trouble people have finding relatively large objects like fake rocks and fake lawn sprinkler heads, something as small as that spike probably _would_ lead to a lot of damage being done.

Thanks for the 'A HA' moment I just had. Yesterday I was searching for a micro in a grassy area and all I could see was some sprinkler heads. That bastard! icon_biggrin.gif

--CoronaKid

Sorry, but I don’t agree with that paradigm.

quote:
Yeah, but all it takes is 1 moronic cacher to ruin it for the rest of us.

No, even a dozen morons won’t ruin anything. There’s hundreds of idiots out there tearing up the landscape, geocaching continues.

quote:
People will be showing up with pick axes and shovels trying to find them.

Would you? Why would you think so little of others? There are micros in knotholes and nobody has used a chainsaw as far as I know.

quote:
People would be pawing at the ground like a bunch of moles trying to find them!!

I don’t know what they’re putting in the IA caches, but out here I have yet to see someone that desperate.

It’s all moot, you can’t get them, if you could that would violate the pointy/diggy rule if you buried it anyway. I just posted the pic and link, thought it was interesting. icon_smile.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
People will be showing up with pick axes and shovels trying to find them.

quote:
Would you? Why would you think so little of others? There are micros in knotholes and nobody has used a chainsaw as far as I know.

I think the first person wasn't that far off. I haven't heard of anyone chainsawing a tree, but I have seen the dead trees in which caches were hidden, or the rotted stumps/logs they were in totally destroyed. Perhaps they were all unhappy coincidences?

I once owned a "normal" size cache with a bright orange lid that was hidden behind one rock chest-high on a rock pile. It was quite visible. Someone who couldn't find it demolished a nearby rock pile, throwing/scattering hundreds of large, heavy rocks (we're talking football-to-basketball size) over a several hundred square foot area.

I went to check on the cache, and it was where it had always been, and was even more visible than it had been on my previous visit. I removed the cache and archived it immediately.

Do I think a frustrated cacher going nuts looking for an elusive micro could be as destructive? I have no doubt.

quote:
Originally posted by DapperDanMan:

You can find these in many magic shops. It is used for a very popular magic trick called "Scotch and Soda"

Oh great! Now you've gone and ruined the trick for me! icon_biggrin.gif

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan