What's the best word?

bug and snake

Geocaching.....

Is it a sport? Is it a hobby? Is it a passtime? Are there other things implied by those words? Does the word sport imply a degree of competition? Does that bring up the question of stats all over again? Is there really a Santa Clause (Easter Bunny, Jack-O-Lantern, whatever)? Should geocaching be spelled with a hyphen? (Geo-caching/geocaching) Is that enough silly questions?

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

It's all of those. I prefer to call it a sport, just because it sounds a little more serious than game, or hobby. Sport doesn't necessarily imply competetion. I ski, skiing is a sport but I'm not competing against anybody. Same goes for fishing. In fact the dictionary defines sport as 1. A source of diversion and 2. A physical activity engaged in for pleasure. That's geocaching in a nutshell. And no, I've never seen a hyphen used in the name.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I think this has been hashed out before but for me it is a hobby more than anything. But it really can be anything to anyone. There can be a competitive aspect to it but it certainly isn't essential.

Santa Claus - Most definately, he eats cookies and drinks milk at my house every year.

Easter Bunny - Most definately not. Bunnies don't lay eggs.

Jack-o-Lantern - Not a person or entity but a thing. The Great Pumpkin, now thats a different story...

------------------------------------------------------------

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tales to tell....

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not. - Stephen Wright

------------------------------------------------------------

Hobby. Can be enjoyed simultaneously with other hobbies, games and sports.

Santa and the easter bunny are the same. They sometimes hide out in carved pumpkins in Oct. to see if you're good or bad!

ingeo-button2.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Normally I call it a game, but I think sport is a better description. Especially for those caches outside of an urban enviroment. I have climbed and hiked a lot while caching and climbing and hiking in my book are sports.

Sport: any activity in which you can buy supplies for at Big 5

---------------------------

Phase 1: Collect Underpants, Phase 2: ???, Phase 3: Profit