I enhanced the cache insert for accidental finders...

Mark 42

I thought it could use a splash of color - for those who have access to a color laser printer... inkjet prints smear when they get moist (color or B&W), but color laser prints are made by a thermal process and are quite stable. BTW, if you have only inkjet, a xerox copy of it will survive dampness far better than the inkjet printout.

I sent a copy to the Geocache Site Admin, but in the meantime I figured I'd see what y'all think of it.

If you have a Yahoo! account, you should be able to access the file.

If This doesn't work, go here.

If anyone wants to host it where it'd be easier to access, go ahead and either get it from the link above, or email me and I'll send it to you.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

Ummmm... Mark 42? Did you mean to make one of those links so I could look through all your personal photos.

I mean, I didn't do it on purpose...per se... but I found myself looking at pictures named "baby in high chair," and one with some guy riding a car through the dirt.

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Ummmm... Mark 42? Did you mean to make one of those links so I could look through all your personal photos.

I mean, I didn't do it on purpose...per se... but I found myself looking at pictures named "baby in high chair," and one with some guy riding a car through the dirt.

Pan

Your post got me curious, Pan -- so I looked. Mark, that's some Bee-YOO-te-ous pottery. Did you make it? We love stuff like that!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Woodsters: You've got mail.

If y'all wanna look through my pics... Moist Nostrils...

the pottery is gonna go up on eBay eventually, but if you hurry I'll make you a good deal on it icon_wink.gif

That's me im my MR2 back when we held Rally-Cross races on our property in Alabama. Go into the video's directory for a short clip of me testing the track, or Click Here (?)

I haven't got a life exciting enough to have anything to hide... I even made a few more of the folders public for y'all!

I'm sure you folks enjoyed this one...

(never turn Red Dial on left past 6.5)

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/146103_2600.jpg

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 05, 2003 at 03:20 PM.]

If anyone wants to make it into a .PDF file, zip it, or even do something different, I won't be offended.

I don't have MS Office installed here at home, so I can't even use it... which is why I printed it at work (on a color laser printer), and will scan it to make a jpeg for future use.

'course, first I have to find out if the sacnner is working after we recovered from having our computer Hijacked this week...

Mark42, that a good thought, but there software is only availiable for free to promote there software. There are certain sites, GAIN comes to mind that I have to clean off alot of users pc's at work when it interferes with other apps. Anytime you download and install software of any kind it has chance of messing up the programs you are already running either at work or at home. I cannot tell you how many questions I've answered that started with " this is not a work related question but my home computer is doing.......

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

Nice job. What I need is one like this that fits inside the lid of a .30 cal ammo box. I laminate mine and glue them to the inside of the lid, so any who opens it, sees it first.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by The_Rocks:

Here is a PDF version ... let me know if you have difficulty getting it.

I got an error that said:

There was an error processing a page. A font contains a bad CMap/Encoding.

Xitron... I'm not sure what you mean.

I have MS Office at work (and Adobe Acrobat) that our sys admin installs on all of our PC's.

As far as .DOC and .PDF files, they're pretty safe, and my company has an excellent firewall. (I don't download executables to my work PC).

The Hijack cleaner was for our home PC... we installed a firewall too. We ended up using SpyBot, AdAware and finally a program called "Hijack This" before we finally got rid of the file that Hijacked our PC. You can read the saga HERE. (I'd advise everyone read it because some of the guys responded with the fact that when they ran the detect/destroy spyware function they found out there was a whole lot of stuff on their PC's w/o their knowledge).

Saw the pdf and the item looks good to me. I like the large graphic: It adds focus and balances the greyness of the text. Normally at this point, I'd mention that the text is still too verbose for the average accidental finder (like the situation for most travel bug info tags). But this pdf is a marked improvement, so thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

I thought it could use a splash of color - for those who have access to a color laser printer... inkjet prints smear when they get moist (color or B&W), but color laser prints are made by a thermal process and are quite stable. BTW, if you have only inkjet, a xerox copy of it will survive dampness far better than the inkjet printout.

Nice job, I like the colors.

There are inkjet printers that use archival quality inks, the Epson C80 series is one of them and that's why I bought it. The paper will disintegrate before the ink runs.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

Yes the pdf version worked fine here as well. I saved it as well and is at the same place as the other except .doc is now .pdf. I'll later create a page that everyone can access and put the forms and all that people use in geocaching so that others can too. People can send me any files like that and I'll start on a page this weekend.

I used the printout of that form Mark for my first cache which was placed today. Waiting on the approval of it.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Duck:

There are inkjet printers that use archival quality inks, the Epson C80 series is one of them and that's why I bought it. The paper will disintegrate before the ink runs.

And here I thought that all ink-jets were designed for their ink to be biodegradable.

5307_1000.gif

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys... all I really did was paste in

the standard Groundspeak-Geocache logo and put a little color in

two rows of the text.

I was really pleased with how it looked once I figured out how

to put the text beside the graphic... that really brought it

together aesthetically and (as you said) gave balance, but the

idea to put the text there was as much stumbling into it

by trial as it was any sort of sense of aesthetics.

I have (in the past) sprayed both sides of ink jet printouts with

a spray lacquer (I intend to try the "Duplicolor"

Clearcoat from Schucks, Walmart, or other dept/auto stores)

with good results.

I used an inkjet with ordinary paper and sprayed it with

clear spraypaint to make labels for my home brewed beer

(it's been about 7 or 8 yrs since I last brewed a batch icon_frown.gif )

It worked great... held up well to the moisture that condensed on

the outside of those nice cold bottles of beer...

Gotta go, I'm gettin thirsty!

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 06, 2003 at 05:29 PM.]

Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Nice job. What I need is one like this that fits inside the lid of a .30 cal ammo box. I laminate mine and glue them to the inside of the lid, so any who opens it, sees it first.

I have made one up using Mark 42's form, but arranged side by side on paper (8x11 so you get two labels) that will fit the lid of an ammo box. I don't know how to link it to this site,but would be glad to email it to someone who does know how.

Also if you can't laminate it, you can iron the paper between two pieces of wax paper. This affords a little bit of protection. Just make sure you use the waxed side away from iron icon_biggrin.gif

I had thought about suggesting two per page...

From Adobe (here at work anyway) I can click "Print", then "Properties" then set "Pages per sheet" to "2", but that may not be the same on all systems(?).

The clear packaging tape works well for laminating. If it needs to be waterproof, overlap the tape about 1/8" and let it stick out about 1/8" past the edge of the paper all around (from both sides) so that even the edge of the paper cannot get wet.

icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on packing tape. I did'nt want to go to the expense of laminating. We are getting three ammo cans ready to go, and I want to be able to include these labels (on the inside lid) in case they are found.

I simply used you version, and copied to word in a two column form. Worked well, and you can play around with the size. Thanks for posting it!

"Never kick a fresh cow patty on a hot day!"

quote:
Originally posted by woof & lulu:

icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on packing tape.

Believe it or not, spraying it with clearcoat is actually easier. I have a hobby shop in my basement, so I just grab the clear spray paint (like Duplicolor Clearcoat from the Automotive section of Walmart) and spray one side, let it dry and then do the other side the following day.

I have used a lacquer, and the stuff from craft stores (enamel?) but I'm going to try the Duplicolor stuff tonight on some Geocaching Logo bumper stickers I'm making for our cars. I suspect it will be really good for the purpose.

quote:

Very Nice.

BTW, I'm still waitnig for the other shoe to drop..._ "I usually laminate it and either stick it to the inside of the ammo can." _

D'oh. "...or on the inside of the tupperware thingy."

Happy now? :cool:

BTW, where in AL did you live?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:

to be more precise. I worked in Huntsville at Redstone Arsenal.

Ah... that clears it up! An old college friend of mine is there now -- she's married to the Col. in charge of the arsenal!

Joel (joefrog)

Before we moved to Alabama in 1998, I'd never

seen a tractor in person. Then I had to buy

one (we bought 20 acres)... I got really lucky and found the JD 2030 with a bush hawg & box blade for a good price.

I eventually repainted the wheels so that they were not such a light chalky yellow (mage 'em match the stripe), and pinted the box blade.

I got a sub-soiler and a lift boom, and put a 2" hitch receiver inside the square tube that reinforces the center of the boxblade. Man, a tractor is one heck of a useful tool. I even used it to work on cars! The lift boom is great for pulling engines, and the box blade makes a great hydraulic lift (if you're creative about it).

Now we barely even need the riding lawnmower, but I may get an antique tractor to restore and tinker with (we have an acre now).

Someday, I will own some land again. Hopefully in a configuration that'll lend itself to placing two or three geocaches on the property.

But the day we left Alabama, I fully understood the "Trail of Tears".

Actually, I'm working with color laser prints these days,

but I did have success putting clearcoat on inkjet printout in the past.

I did try the DClogo.jpg Clearcoat

on color laser prints yesterday, and it works great (so far).

The real product name is "Truck, Van and SUV Clear Top Coat"

It did soak the paper, so it might be wise to either use

several lighter coats (especially for inkjet prints),

or lay the paper on some wax paper so it doesn't stick

to whatever it's lying on. Once it dried, it didn't stick

to the cardboard, but that was surprising because I

really sprayed it on heavy, and it soaked all the way

through the paper to the point I could see the cardboard through it.

If I get a chance, I'll test some inkjet prints too for y'all.

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 11, 2003 at 09:28 AM.]

UPDATE:

The Duplicolor Clearcoat worked fine on both Inkjet and Laser Printer versions. I sprayed both sides to waterproof them completely through.

I went with multiple light coats on the inkjet printouts for fear of the ink bleeding and running and smearing... I may try it again with heavy coats like I used on the Laser Printer ones (which worked fine).

I'd post a picture, but i doubt it'd show much.

I took the word doc and saved as an HTML

the total size dropped from 400k to about 70k

(55k for image, 15 for text)

The layout was not as good as the origial, but this might be a better format if you wanted to share it somewhere, like on the web.

I am certain there are some xml experts who could control the layout too.