The natives are restless. I blame Mars

Verboten

Obviously there is some unrest here on the Groundspeak forums lately. Today seems like an apex of sorts. One can hope, anyway.

This seems to happen from time to time in any online forum. The funny thing is I've noticed the same thing in the past couple of days at another internet forum I frequent. I've also noticed that people around me in meat space seem to be a bit on edge lately, as well.

The full moon was last week, so that's out. I guess we could blame the heat, but I'd rather blame Mars. Mars is now the closest it's been to Earth in recorded history. Astromomers estimate that this is the closest Mars and Earth have been in 60,000 years.

Really, the idea isn't so far fetched. There have been numerous studies of crime rates at full moon, though none have resulted in any significant correlation. However, the fact that these studies have been done indicates that people seem to feel things are slightly askew when the moon is full. I think Mars is making us all a bit nutty.

Mars and Earth will continue to get closer until August 27th. I think I may go hide up in the mountains until then.

So while I'm not a great believer in the metaphysical, I only post this with tounge half in cheek. (Or half a tounge in cheek?) Has anyone else noticed a general increase in agitatation in themselves or the population at large lately?

-Vb

I'd like to blame Mars, but I really think it's the death of Dan's stats page and no real replacement that has a lot of people steamed. That and some silly, off topic posts by some "Cliff Claven type" (oops, I guess that be me).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

It has seem a little over-angsty lately.

Love the Titelist of Borg Avatar... Gave me a great big belly laugh today...

Is that off topic? If it is someone may lockdown this thread... icon_rolleyes.gif

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'd like to blame Mars, but I really think it's the death of Dan's stats page and no real replacement that has a lot of people steamed.

Yeah, but that's only part of it. Like I said, I'm seeing it everywhere. I just walked down to the co-op at the corner and some hippy chick was complaining about the price of a pound of butter and that they didn't sell it in quarters.

Think about that one for a minute...

-Vb

It's not a new thing. Go back into these forums. I was poking around today and found an early 2001 post where the author was upset with the way this website was run. He proposed a 10 member board to govern geocaching, with Jeremy getting a permanent seat and the other 9 members being appointed to, or voted to (I forget) 1 year terms.

There were also threads complaining about cache owners deleting legit finds, threads worrying about environmental damage, threads complaining about people complaining and several threads complaining about GC.COM's unwillingness to allow other website owners to mine data from this website. Sound familiar?

I also found Jeremy's original pledge that he would never charge to access this website.

June 02, 2001

quote:

I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded, Inc. will never make this a pay to play web site for Geocaching. It is in the best interest of all players that the game remain free and the non-commercial sharing of these coordinates through the web site.

Jeremy has kept that pledge, much to his credit. When he made that pledge, this website had some 750 users. He had no idea wht a juggernaut it would become.

Charter Memberships are voluntary. The guy isn't getting rich on this, which brings up another issue. He's never said he wouldn't sell this website (at least from what I've read).

I'm sure that, considering the expanding popularity of this sport, he's had offers. If y'all give him enough greif, I bet he'd consider taking a few hundered thou for this website and moving on. I know I would. Then you'll have Yahoo, Microsoft, et. al., rather than a geocacher running things. Wouldn't that be a peach? I can't wait for the pop-up ads. icon_rolleyes.gif

Come on people. Wake up and smell the catfood!

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 19, 2003 at 04:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat: "...found Jeremy's original pledge that he would never charge to access this website.

June 02, 2001

quote:
_

I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded, Inc. will never make this a pay to play web site for Geocaching. It is in the best interest of all players that the game remain free and the non-commercial sharing of these coordinates through the web site.

_

Jeremy has kept that pledge, much to his credit. Charter Memberships are voluntary. The guy isn't getting rich on this, which brings up another issue. He's never said he wouldn't sell this website (at least from what I've read).

I'm sure that, considering the expanding popularity of this sport, he's had offers. If y'all give him enough greif, I bet he'd consider taking a few hundered thou for this website and moving on. I know I would. Then you'll have some corporation (Yahoo maybe?), rather than a geocacher running things. Wouldn't that be a peach?

I can't wait for the pop-up ads.

_

I was just thinking the same thing! icon_eek.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Brian,

I agree with what you're saying about cycles of malcontent, and said as much in my initial post. That wasn't really my point though. It was mostly meant to lighten up the atmosphere.

As to the rest of your post, I agree with that as well, but I don't think it has any relevance to this thread. I don't mind off topic posts until they actively steer the thread in a new direction, which is what your post seems to do.

Don't make me go Jomarac5 on your a$$. icon_wink.gif

-Vb

dum-dee-dee-dum.....

When I read this post this morning my first thought was that.. although I agree that there must be something out there causing this strange unrest from the "main" posters. i.e. the squeeky wheels, there MUST be something in the stars that's causing so much dissension.

But then my more rational side came through. I thought..NO NO, This is all on the shoulders of Martha Stewart! This woman has caused a rift in the space/time continuum!

Thank you all for keeping me focused on folderol and not posting a silly comment to theHow can I make a pretty mapthread and plummiting it into an untimely grave!

I've learned so much in such a short time!

Og

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Verboten wrote:

Don't make me go Jomarac5 on your a$$.

Yeah, what he said. icon_biggrin.gif

I think you've been verbed Jomarac5. Get on the shelf with Markwell because I think this-n's gonna stick.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

There's a long-standing belief in journalism that August has a greater than average number of stories about the strange and stupid. They call it the 'Silly Season'.

Lots of theories why, but I think what we're seeing is part of that effect. So welcome to the Silly Geocaching Season...

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
There's a long-standing belief in journalism that August has a greater than average number of stories about the strange and stupid. They call it the 'Silly Season'.

Lots of theories why, but I think what we're seeing is part of that effect. So welcome to the Silly Geocaching Season...

My boyfriend mentioned something similar last night. Basically, the end of summer is stressful for many because school is starting up, people are returning to work after vacations, the weather has been uncomfortable for awhile, etc. So, people are more agitated at that time.

pokeanim3.gif

This is weird..my wife asked me this morning if it was a full moon..Our dogs are going crazy getting into things, the whole week has been full of trial and tribulation...could blame it on the martians...

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

Now now...don't malign August...why I was born in August as a matter of fact and I am as abnormal as anyone on here. I resemble that remark in the most strenuos way.

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!