Geocaching - a filthy habit?

Tiger88

I don't think the Easter Egg thing is a good idea. Our HERO doesn't like water, hot water seems WAY to much of a risk. And all that messy dye?!?!?!? NO WAY MAN! I suggest trying a 5/5, something involving cliffs or maybe a short pier. Just make sure you keep your eyes firmly fixed on your GPSr the whole time and take long strides.

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

Football(American, not the overseas soccer version) Wrap them all up in charmins tp since it is soft. play on a giant down filled pillow. No Tackling you have to tap them on the shoulder. The ball can be a bit hard if inflated to much so to be safe use a nerf sponge ball. If a single cloud in the sky whether rain or not cancel the game. QUOTE]

No, no. You have to destroy the natural environment to build stadiums. You should play in a field of prairie grass. No, that would cause the ground to be torn up by running all over it and just think of all the trails made by spectators! Hmmmm I guess that would eliminate all stadium played sports, race tracks, golf courses, and hop-scotch (you need an land destroying sidewalks to play it.) I guess that leaves rock-paper-scissors with players standing on rocks left by glaciers.

It might not be a troll. Those people do exist...

I recently went geocaching with someone new - the last bit of the walk was, say, 300 feet off trail. She freaked out - "you're not supposed to leave the trail!!" Then a good bit of how humans aren't supposed to impact the natural environment and so on. As if walking through star thistles (already an imported species I think) is going to destroy the planet.

It's all urban yuppie (redundant, i know) guilt. Nature is hardier than we give her credit for.

As far as dirt goes, that happens too. My ex-wife used to get carried away about the idea of "going camping", until she had all the gear bought and we were out there and she found out that the out-of-doors is covered with dirt. It didn't take long before the camping trip was over and that activity was put on the shelf for another few years until she forgot about the dirt.

Yet another newbie I took out got blisters on both feet after a 1 mile cache. (1/2 mile in and back, moderate grade.) Exercise is just 'not for me', she said. Fair enough.

GeoCaching is an outdoor activity. Many folk would much rather tool to WalMart in their TV-equipped minivan rather than go gor a walk (gasp!) in the woods (double-gasp!!) They do exist, don't you know any?

Known a few people with bathroom issues. One guy I used to Mountain bike with wouldn't even urinate anywhere but his own house. We'd be 5 miles out and he'd suddenly say "I have to go home." Perplexing to say the least.

Geocaching adds a new layer and purpose to the activities I already enjoy. This includes getting a little dirty. Come to think of it, some of my happiest memories involved being dirty in one way or another. icon_biggrin.gif

Cast aside your illusions of isolation, dive headlong into the natural world. You may discover that the true wilderness is inside you.

A conservationist wants to build a house in the woods, a developer already has a house in the woods.

The soap box is now open.

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

"the hero" has given me a new idea for a cache.....(ok so maybe its an old idea but it's new to me darnit) it's called the SUV cache! it will be placed at an arms length off the road at the height of an H2's window (why an H2? which other car gets 10 miles per gallon on premium fuel?) to get to it you have to drive to a walmart and a mccdonalds to get clues for the cord's....then race past the cords at 60 miles an hour and stick your arm out of the car at the right moment (dont keep arm out too long for fear of losing the heat from inside your car and getting your arm cold and or wet) just grab the cache and keep driving (roll up window as quickly as possible!) the cache container can either be a toilet paper roll, a cereal box, or a brightly colored egg (but no chicken eggs....try an ostrich or an emu egg, they are bigger and we have too darn many of those birds anyhow) dont bother replacing the cache just toss it out your window to mix with the cigarette butts.....oh and wash your hands several times afterwards too and dont forget to lock and unlock the front door when you get home at least 7 times.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie Stalkers:

Known a few people with bathroom issues. One guy I used to Mountain bike with wouldn't even urinate anywhere but his own house. We'd be 5 miles out and he'd suddenly say "I have to go home." Perplexing to say the least.

Geocaching adds a new layer and purpose to the activities I already enjoy. This includes getting a little dirty. Come to think of it, some of my happiest memories involved being dirty in one way or another. icon_biggrin.gif

Cast aside your illusions of isolation, dive headlong into the natural world. You may discover that the true wilderness is inside you.

A conservationist wants to build a house in the woods, a developer already has a house in the woods.

And an Environmentalist wants to prevent everyone else from building a house in the woods.

Getting dirty is part of nearly all outdoor sports. If you can't hang with that, then go take up knitting (accepting that the yarn lint might get you dirty).

Agreed, some of my best memories of being outdoors involved getting dirty and coming home covered in dirt only to see my mom shake her head and wonder what she did to deserve us.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

quote:
Originally posted by WalruZ:

It might not be a troll. Those people do exist...

As far as dirt goes, that happens too. My ex-wife used to get carried away about the idea of "going camping", until she had all the gear bought and we were out there and she found out that the out-of-doors is covered with dirt.

They do exist, don't you know any?

Oh yes! LOL

Had a neighbour one time. This poor guy worked his butt off in his vegetable garden and he did grow some beautiful stuff. However, his wife was not prepared to eat stuff that came out of the ground - food HAD to come from the supermarket. Each night he would cut vegies for the next days dinner. Each morning his wife would come over to my wife and exchange the fresh stuff for 'real' food from our freezer. Each evening he would be out there working on the plot and telling anyone who walked by about how wonderful the taste of fresh food was and how 'you should all grow your own like I do!'

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

I don't know whether to Yawn or laugh my butt off.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I think I'll compromise & yawn my butt off.

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:
I've also been out looking for several caches and found areas that looked like they had been rooted up by pigs.

Then you should destroy any wild or domesticated pig you encounter to prevent such disturbance.

quote:
I don't want to look under rocks (spiders, snakes, etc.).
icon_rolleyes.gif

Then this ain’t the hobby for you dude.

quote:
I don't want dig up the ground

Good, you’re not supposed to.

quote:
Geocaching is still in it's infancy as a sport

You can’t say that if you have only just started. Geocaching is over the hill and sliding quickly towards senility.

quote:
I have a few suggestions that might make it more appealing to more people:

It’s already appealing to thousands as it is, the server can’t handle any more appeal.

quote:
To follow these rules hiding a cache might take a little more finesse, but this is a creative group.

Well there’s the world wide web, go start a game and make the rules the way you want.

quote:
Maybe I sound like a wimp, but I have actually spent a lot of time outdoors

You can’t count the time you spend walking to the mailbox.

quote:
The geocachers current lack of respect for the environment is what's gotten the community banned from the National Parks.

I’m unsure where you obtained this pearl of wisdom. The reason we cannot hide (legally) in the NPs is due to misinformation and lack of understanding, much like this thread.

quote:
That's my 2 cents worth...

Here’s a dollar, do some research before you make blanket and absolute statements.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

LOL Criminal, your posts always make me laugh. I couldn't have said it better myself. And I would probably hurt myself if I tried icon_wink.gif

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

icon_biggrin.gif

--

Tiger: This cache should be right up your alley:

Lonely Hillside Surprise!

--

This cache is on a "Lonely Hillside," out in the middle of the Arizona high desert.

Cache is a Tupperware container in plain view, placed atop a curious mound, dark green in color with equally curious dark blotches all over it.

Park your vehicle at the paved parking lot (lines are painted weekly due to sandstorms erasing the parking slot lines).

Get out of your vehicle, walk a short 200 feet up the hill--which is in plain view of the parking lot--obtain the cache container, log your find, then put the cache back on the mound.

Cache is rated a 5/5, explained below.

1. Driving to the cache is easy.

2. Walking to the cache is easy.

3. Initially, taking the cache is easy, however there are a few caveats:

3a. The cache may seem easy to grab at first, but upon closer inspection it will be evident that the cache is held in place by some type of sticky secretion emanating from the mound.

3b. With a vigorous pull, the tupperware container comes free, leaving it available for you to open it and log your find, but upon opening the cache, you realize that the plastic-looking box is really some type of multicolored, sand-hued natural resin, as amber might be out of a pine tree.

3c. When you come to realize this, the "mound" may have moved slightly, although you won't have noticed this.

3d. As you're figuring this out, the seemingly perfect and manicured lawn and surroundings--especially the area by your car icon_biggrin.gif--has now, equally seemingly, turned to a quagmire of murky muck.

3e. As this observation sets upon your mind, and you quickly try to ascertain just what seems to be going on at this cache site, you are drawn to the sudden upheaval of the "lonely hill," and as you turn around, ARE NOW FACE TO FACE WITH A VERY LARGE MUTANT ZOMBIE TURTLE, THE DARK GREEN AND BLACK SPLOTCHED SHELL-THAT-FORMED-THE-HILL NOW TOWERING TWENTY FEET ABOVE YOU, COMES CRASHING DOWN AS GIANT SNAPPING JAWS CLOSE DOWN ON YOUR SOFT, KRUNCHY (YES, "KRUNCHY"), AND TASTY SPIRIT-VEHICLE, AND YOU TASTE THE TASTE OF KETCHUP ACCOMPANYING YOU AS YOU ARE SWALLOWED NEARLY-WHOLE-IN-ONE-BIG-GULP!

Oh yes, your car sinks into the quagmire-that-was-the-parking-lot, when, after the last part of the bumper (sporting a "Geocaching Is For Enlightened Snobs" bumper sticker) sinks out of site, the quagmire settles back into solid asphalt, and the GIANT MUTANT TURTLE is now a hill again, and the TURTLE-THAT-IS-NO-LONGER-LONELY--is has you in its tummy! icon_biggrin.gif--telepathically sends a blurb of incomprehensible digital bandwidth to the GC.com server banks, and the cache name is changed to "Haunted Turtle Hill. . ."

Although missed initially by your people, soon resignation sets in, and the entire geocaching community mourns the loss of yet-another geocacher, hell-bent for a geocaching coup, instead ending up as turtle soup.

Warm regards

Msr. Sockpuppet,

Firefishe

Caching In On The Journey

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

Where exactly did you say that the wild pigs had dug up the ground? I think I'll take my .30-06 with me geocaching there.

While driving back down from hiding Secret Trailhead #14, we saw a bunch of large wild pigs down near the water's edge of Guadalupe reservoir. I've never seen them that big in the wild before.

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Cat'N'Geo:

I think I'll compromise & yawn my butt off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see the headlines now...

"A new exercise craze is sweeping the nation as millions yawn their way to a new trim backside..."

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

It will be started in America. only we are that lazy to call yawning exercise. Yawn 1 Yawn and 2

And the next number in your signature is 154

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

I don't have the time or desire to read all the comments made on this thread. Maybe Tiger88 should just be happy he/she resides in America and doesn't have to worry that the secret police aren't planning a visit because of the initial post. Any everyone else can rest at ease and go caching. That's where you'll find me. I LOVE my filthy Geohabit!

Frank

I've been reading this thread and feel I must apologize. I think Tiger might have gone after the Wisconsin cache we found a couple of weeks ago and we would be the pigs rootin in the leaves. The area was covered with about a foot and a half of fresh fallen leaves (which I'm reasonably sure were not there when the cache was placed) so we looked under them. We did not put them all back the way they were. Sorry.

I once was lost, but now am found;

Was blind, but now I see.

ok, I am brand new to the sport so the following are just my unpracticed opinions. You may take them as such.

I think the hunt is all the fun of the sport. It is what attracted me to the sport in the first place. If a cache is hidden it just means that I have to work harder to find it and it is better when I do.

Now I also think there is a limit. I mean, if a cache is 6 feet under then what is the point? Also I think the enviornment needs to be protected as well but ,judging from the people I have talked to, most GeoCachers are also enviornmentalists to some degree. So we are out here to preserve the nature that provides us with the sport.

As par dirt, well, soap tends to do wonders for that. icon_wink.gif

------------------------------

The train roars past me,

windows of shuttling light.

Home is never far.

--Sailor Lazarus

Wait, wait!!! I've seen the light! But I want to go to the next level, as well:

-Bicycle manufacturers should start adding a 3rd wheel to all bikes...it's just too hard to balance on 2.

-Shoes should only be "slip-on"...nobody should have to "tie" laces.

-Why do doors have to have doorknobs?...I don't want to have to touch and turn a knob in order to open a door.

-I think I'll remove the tires/rims from my 4x4 van so it will never be able to harm the environment ever again!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!