Etrex Legend

My first GPS was the Legend. It is a great unit. Compact and a good value. I upgraded to the Vista and the only real benefits are the additional memory (good if you travel a lot) and the altimiter. I recommend getting the Mapsource Topo to go along with it. The base maps are a little too basic to be of much use.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

I on the other hand purchased a Vista for my first GPS unit. One thing I will say I like about it is that the Vista has the true compass reading. The compass provides bearing information while you're standing still and the altimeter determines your precise altitude. While the Legend will only give you direction while you are moving. It does make it nice to stand still and get a good bearing reading.I have found this very useful, and found it worth the price.

Matter of fact, I just thought of a great example where I met this really nice Belgian couple doin some USA geocaching. They were using the Legend, and kept pacing back and forth and around in circles trying to get a correct reading as they walked. They were looking for a micro that was small and under a dead tree branch. They passed over it about 10 times or more and finally asked if I had found it yet. I said that yes I had. he asked he could use my Vista to get a true bearing reading. Sure enough he went right to it. Just a personal experience I thought I would share with ya. It really does make it nice to get the true bearing reading.

I have a Vista and a yellow, sold my Legend, it was a great unit, but liked the features of the Vista LOTS better, the compass is a huge plus, keeps you pointing the right way even when stopped, and the memory is great also. Both are good units, i liked the Vista way more. There are lots of other features on the vista that dont get talked about much that are fun too, such as with metroguide, you can do address lookup from the Vista, no autorouting, but still nice to have.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Learn something new every night. I didn't know I had that address feature in my Vista. Looked it up after seeing your post. I have Metroguide,RoadsNRecreation, and Blue Chart. I loaded the maps from RoadsNRecreation so that feature isn't usable. But will try it out with the Metroguide. Cool..

I've got a Legend that I got a few weeks ago. As my first GPS, I can't give you an opinion of it relative to others, but I can say that I think it's a fantastic value. I didn't feel that I needed the extra bells and whistles of the Vista.

The compass would be nice, but if I really feel that I'll be needing one, I'll bring a standard compass along - the price-jump isn't worth it just for that.

The extra memory would be nice, as I live in L.A., and the greater L.A. area is split right in half on the MapSource CD, only allowing me to load up one side. (It works out OK, since I'm usually on that side of the city anyhow).

Oh - and the color of the legend matches my motorcycle almost perfectly, so it looks especially cool mounted to the handlebars. icon_smile.gif

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

I've got a Legend and I really enjoy it. I use it for work, play, and a mix thereof. I like gadgets with bells and whistles, so there are times I think the Vista would be nice, but the practical side of me knows that I would seldom use the extra features.

I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once. Daniel Boone

quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Way Ron:

Thanks for the input that helps alot I really don't like the color of the Legend how ever I think your right for the value it is a great unit, And for the extras that the Vista has I don't think it's worth the money for hiking and geocaching.

As a veteran hiker, I disagree. The Vista's altimeter is worth the cost. My friend owns a Suunto altimeter watch that cost over 200 bucks. My etrex summit cost 230 and it has the gps features and the barometric based altimeter. The altimeter is very accurate if you keep calibrating at known elevations..e.g. lakes. It was within a few feet of my friend's dedicated alt watch. Sometimes they matched.

I'm speaking from a hiking standpoint though. Geocaching, yes the altimeter probably isn't as necessary most of the time, except for caches up in the mountains.

I've used Garmin and Magellian.......both are excellant units. I currently use a Magellian Sportrac series GPS and love it. You won't go wrong which ever you choose.....it's all in the features and how it's customized once you get used to it. I don't have a compass on my unit....so I use a hand held compass......same results. And I don't need maps....so didn't feel the need for all the extra spent for memory....the basic map inside my unit is all I need because I have county maps with me all the time anyway. Look at all the units available...and if you have any friends that already have a unit...consider getting one like theirs....as it will help you in learning yours. Or.....get the video, they are VERY helpful.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

I don't think anyone has mentioned the $50 rebate that is currently available (until 7/6/03) from Garmin. That was a big selling point for me when I purchased my Legend about 4 months ago to "augment" my eTrex basic yellow. I just looked and noticed that the rebate also applies to the Vista.

If you do plan on taking advantage of the rebate you have to be sure to purchase from an "authorized" Garmin dealer - be very careful to verify seller's credentials if you purchase on eBay.

Out here in the flatlands, I don't see a lot of use for an altimeter, but I do realize that it would be very useful in territory with more terrain variation. The compass in any of the eTrex units does the job for me (I don't stand still and look at my compass that often).

One thing that I didn't pay much attention to when I bought my Legend was internal memory. Now that I have Metroguide and have downloaded some maps, I've found that 8 mb just isn't quite enough sometimes. The Vista's 24 mb of memory is a worthwhile consideration if you plan on purchasing any of the Mapsource software in the future.

I think you will be happy with either unit.

Good Luck in your purchase.

I was w/ someone last Sunday that just bought a Legend. We were doing a cache in a state forest and I would say about 75% of the time his GPS had no satellite contact and kept telling him to “go to clear skies” (something like that)

My GPS (not a Legend) had constant contact w/ at least 4-5 satellites at all times. There were a lot of tall trees around but at this time of the year there aren’t any leaves on them yet. He figured once the leaves came in he would get zero contact 100% of the time (at least in the woods, worked great in the car and in open area)

He just returned his Legend and ordered a different GPS, After reading some reviews it does seem that the Legend and the Vista have weaker antennas then some of the other Garmin units (at least in tree cover)

Just telling you my experience, do with it what you will.

Good luck and have fun,

Paul