Nightmare!

Well I just got my GPS and new PDA yesterday and spent most of last night uploading caches and getting everthing working together. Then I went off to bed. At about 3am I woke up after having a Nightmare that all my new toys were taken out of my car at a store. Scary isn't it. Well I know I should already done it but I will be building a data base with all my S/N's and info on the models and inital cost of my new toys just in case. After I woke up I was wondering if some one that would take such items would know how to use them or just go and pawn them? What and how do yall keep track of your toys?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I keep a 400 pound Gorillas named PUG in my vehicle with orders to pummel anyone attempting to take my GPSr or PDA.

Just kidding. You might try hacking your start-up screen on your firmware and add your name, address and phone number. There's a utiility to do this for Garmin units which works fairly well. If nothing else it'll make life difficult for any would-be thief when he tries to pawn it. Chances are he won't be GPS savvy and know how to restore the original firmware.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Look at my avatar. Would you reach your hand in my jeep to take ANYTHING? He does protect his jeep. And if I am caching, Parker is coming along!

Go ahead, reach in.... dog food is expensive! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I drive a four-year-old Neon. I left it in front of a local Biker Bar at midnight with the lights on, windows down, the engine running, and a $20 bill on the seat. Then I went inside to call the insurance company. When I came back out someone had added a $10 and 2 fives, apparently out of sympathy

It appears that I do not need to worry about anyone breaking in.

Hiemdahl

quote:
Originally posted by Hiemdahl:

I drive a four-year-old Neon. I left it in front of a local Biker Bar at midnight with the lights on, windows down, the engine running, and a $20 bill on the seat. Then I went inside to call the insurance company. When I came back out someone had added a $10 and 2 fives, apparently out of sympathy

It appears that I do not need to worry about anyone breaking in.

Hiemdahl

You're right about the Neon. They build them a couple miles from me and the employees I know don't own any. Guess that's why they're making a new car soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Look at my avatar. Would you reach your hand in my jeep to take ANYTHING? He does protect his jeep. And if I am caching, Parker is coming along!

Go ahead, reach in.... dog food is expensive! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Is that a dog dare?

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Get a good car alarm. It won't prevent theft (If someone wants what you have bad enough) but it will make your car a more difficult target. Thieves are lazy, or they would be working instead of stealing. Given the choice, they will go for an unprotected car first. But nothing beats a huge dog for deterrance.

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

quote:
Originally posted by BigJon:

What and how do yall keep track of your toys?

Since I hunt most caches with map-and-compass, I don't bring many toys with me. I keep hoping someone will steal my '91 Isuzu pickup so I can collect the insurance money.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

If I am on my way heading for caches with my cache mobile, my little gadgets (GPSr, PDA and Digicam) are worth more than twice that ole 92'Ford (including a filled tank). So my simple rule of deep sleep is: If you don't leave stuff inside, you don't even need to lock it. icon_biggrin.gif

Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not. (FZ)

Funny this should come up; today I went to the public library. Parked in an end spot, took my son in and browsed a while. When I returned, there was a guy standing about 15 feet away from the passsenger door, trying to talk my dog into calming down.

I should mention, the windows are down approximately 5 inches for ventilation. Stupidly, my gps, converter, and laptop are all in view. Lucy the dog has ABSOLUTELY no interest in calming down. The guy didn't see me approaching, so when I was 10 steps away, I asked "How do you like my security system ?" His silence was almost as comical as his reaction when I slid open the door, stopping Lucy only after she had partially exited the car. I love dogs. Best security there is.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

People can get arrested for animal abuse if they leave their dogs in the car down here, because of the summer heat (but EVERY summer, you hear about some idiot who still does it). I agree with those who say take it with you. I once had my car stolen and was sick for days worrying about the items inside the car (toolbox, organizer with credit cards, etc...). If I had only taken 1 minute to keep them with me.....