No food in cache due to scent, what about...

Logically, no food should be placind in a cache because animals can smell it from miles away.

I noticed in the guidelines for hiding caches, it suggested Play-Do. It has been my experience that Play-Do stinks up a storm - are animals attracted to this stuff?

What about other scented non-food items that can't think of right now?

Any particular do's/dont's in this regard?

Thanks!

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

I think that I used to eat Play Doh as a kid not that there was any ryhme or reason to that but I could understand why an animal would do the same.

Play Doh gets rock hard when dried out so I don't see how that would make a good item for a cache anyway. Same with some of the ones listed above. There was someone here leaving bars of soap in caches which was plain gross. It stunk everything up and stained items it came into contact with. I found a cache once where someone left those nice glass bottles with oils in them and a design on the bottle. Well they froze and broke and soaked everything in the cache with a stinky oil.

So if you are in an area where things freeze in the winter, liquids are bad.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by New England n00b:

Logically, no food should be placind in a cache because animals can smell it from miles away.

I noticed in the guidelines for hiding caches, it suggested Play-Do. It has been my experience that Play-Do stinks up a storm - are animals attracted to this stuff?

What about other scented non-food items that can't think of right now?

Remember that animals have a much much much better sense of smell than humans, so something we believe has no odor may have a detectible odor to them...

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

Remember that animals have a much much much better sense of smell than humans, so something we believe has no odor may have a detectible odor to them...

That is true. So, even some things we think that wouldn't have a smell to attract animals, actually could. Like rubber. How many have dogs that have rubber toys, like balls. They know where one is without seeing it, because they can smell it.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:

A local geocacher uses old Chinese food containers. Every cache he has placed has been gnawed by animals. I'm sure he washed them thouroughly and there is no noticeable odor...to humans, but the critters sure like them.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

A local geocacher uses old Chinese food containers. Every cache he has placed has been gnawed by animals. I'm sure he washed them thouroughly and there is no noticeable odor...to humans, but the critters sure like them.

The problems with that is that the critters are hungry again a half hour later! icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

PlayDoh technically could be considered a food product, as it is made up of common food products, such as flour, etc. There is a recipe for making playing and it includes all the stuff you find in your kitchen.

Another thing I see often in caches are dog biscuits...I would think that this is just as bad as placing nay other food item in a cache...if dogs like them, then odds are other animals would too.

I haven't seen any problems with caches yet that contained soaps or candles.

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I noticed some use altoids tins for containers...how does one get rid of the smell from the mints?

The best way to get rid of MOST of the smell (whether from mints or any other food) is to wash the container with a solution of bleach and water. After washing, you can rinse the item with a solution of baking soda and water to get rid of the bleach smell. (this is the precess that is recommended by self-serve bottled water vendors to clean & sterilize reusable water bottles)

Remember, as previous posters have said, most animals have far more sensitive noses than we do. Even after a good bleaching some traces of food scent may remain.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

yeah playdoh does have a strong smell..

on that notre, I noticed some use altoids tins for containers...how does one get rid of the smell from the mints?

I use Altoids Tins for Micros, myself I'm sorta of a "Bleach" nut, a good washing / soaking in a strong bleach solution, will remove most any odor. icon_rolleyes.gif

~~~ "And now where" ~~~

After a trip to Yellowstone this summer, and a conversation with a Park Ranger, ANYTHING with an odor, food or not, may be perceived as food by animals. They mentioned one time a bear went into a tent one night because there was a tube of chapstick in the bottom of a backpack in the tent.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

After a trip to Yellowstone this summer, and a conversation with a Park Ranger, ANYTHING with an odor, food or not, may be perceived as food by animals. They mentioned one time a bear went into a tent one night because there was a tube of chapstick in the bottom of a backpack in the tent.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

That does it, no more chap stick for me. I am NOT kissing any bear.

All weal drive, the only way to go!