Geocookers Arise!

Planet

I have this idea for a geocaching cook-book, or no-cooking book for geocachers to send me recipes for good trail food that's packable and send a story about how the recipe came about or where it's from, along with your name (or geoname), and city, and some could send their art work to adorn the pages. Favorite sandwiches, sandwiches that don't need refrigeration, trail mix blends, snacks, that kind of thing. Trail drinks. After cache cook out foods. Get the idea?

Would you participate?

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sure I am cooked, well not yet but working on it.

Anyway. I don't have a great recipe but a story. I went to a cache where there was some food placed in it so I pulled that out along witht the bar of soap. the food pouch looked new and was some pretzel type things.. Like combos. Nothing new there, I pull food and junk out of caches all the time. The thing that was different here was that I found myself eating the combos down the trail on my way back to the truck. Not sure why I was doing so but they were good and I'm still alive. I think it happened because I was so darn hungry that I didn't even think about it.

So my vote goes for combos

great for the pack and trail.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

My favorite trail food for a day hike is a simple turkey and swiss, with mustard, mayo, L & T on a hard roll.

If I'm on an extended backpacking trip I like fat, greasy stuff for the trail. My favorite is a slice of cheddar and a slice of chorizo sausage between two Triskets. This was invented when we stopped for lunch and a backpacking buddy pulled out a link of chorizo and I pulled out a wedge of cheddar and some Triskets. We started sharing our lunch and the chorizo/cheddar Trisket sandwich was born. Our 3rd friend was eating sardines...but they just didn't work that well in the sandwich. Maybe if we were a bit more hungry...

As far as trail drinks, I'm just a water guy. I throw my Platypus in the freezer the night before and have ice cold water all day. Apres hiking, or caching, a frosty mug of Guinness stout is the perfect ending.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

besides the before-mentioned PBR, is wheat thins topped with laughing cow cheese product, smoked oysters, and hot mustard. It might sound kinda gross, but it's actually really tasty. You can pick it all up at your local Fred Meyer for about 8 bucks (11 bucks if you add a sixer of PBR), and it feeds 2.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Mine is an after-cache meal. We spent an entire day caching this fall and had pre-cooked a huge pot of chicken chili that's served in bread bowls that are easily made from Pillsbury refrigerator french bread loaves. So all we had to do was heat up when we got home. That and a few Michelob Golden Drafts......and all was good in the world. Sorry.....no cheap beer here....it makes me gassy icon_eek.gif Can post recipe and photo if anyone is interested.

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

YOU'RE GETTING THE IDEA!

roast beef and hummus on a wrap rolled up with mixed greens. Squishable and no mayo to go bad.

Salami and cream cheese in a wrap.

All sandwiches work as wraps, but the combos can be endless.

Keep em coming! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

PBR is good but one should try OPIES. Being a retired Chef I've seen my share of meals, meals, meals.

This summer I came across several trail drinks that are quite simple to make.

1. Rocky Mtn. Cooler - Make a 8oz glass of gatorade using the dehydrated mix, in lieu of water use minute maid lemonade. Wets your whistle.

2. TAHOSA JUICE (Well that is what my friends call it) Its actually a Rehydration Drink: Measure all ingredients precisely. Do not give to children under 12.

• 1 qt. water - 1/2 tsp. baking soda - 1/2 tsp. table salt - 3 TBSP sugar - 1/4 salt substitue ("lite" salt)

Some like some don't but it does it job, best done when as sips as you hike on a hot day.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

quote:
All sandwiches work as wraps, but the combos can be endless.

You gave me a great idea. Chorizo and cheddar with crumbled Triskets in a spinach wrap and maybe this time I'll throw in the sardines.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Some of my favorite backpacking meals:

Boullibase

1 8 oz.can clams w/juice

1 8 oz. can tuna

1 8 oz. can scungilli (conch)

1 8 oz. can shrimp

1 small chorizo sausage sliced

1/2 package Knoor boullibase mix

4 cups water

Mix all ingredients, bring to boil and serve

Spaghetti & clam sauce

At home chop 2-3 cloves garlic and place in small Nalgene bottle with 4 tbsp olive oil.

8 oz angel hair or vermicelli pasta

2 8oz cans of clams/w juice

salt/black pepper/red pepper flakes to taste

small Ziploc with grated romano or parmesan

Boil pasta, drain, cover and set aside

Saute garlic and olive oil for a minute (do not burn..the hard part with a MSR Whisperlite)

add clams salt & pepper. Heat through and toss with pasta. Serve with cheese.

I make a trail mix from:

Coconut flakes

Dried Bananna Chips

Salted Whole Almonds

Dried Sugared Diced Mango Chunks

Dried Sugared Diced Pinapple Chunks

Raisens

Hazlenuts

Brazil nuts

Its tasty, satisfying, provides lots of energy and keeps very well on the trail. icon_smile.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I go to a local grocery store that sells different trail mixes in bulk. I then mix several of the mixes together to make sure I get all of my favorite stuff in the mix. I pay based on the weight of the most expensive mix that I put in. That's a good way to get a trail mix that isn't just chocolate, raisins and peanuts.