How did you choose which GPSr brand/model to purchase?

Dekaner

I've used Garmin marine units for a long time so it was an easy choice for me.

The interface was already familiar when I first picked-up my Legend. The same goes for other Garmin units, I quickly picked-up how to use a friend's Streetpilot III when I used his boat recently.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I had used a Lowrance Accu-nav for over ten years and when it was time to upgrade there were certain features I had to have or I would not buy the unit. I settled for the Magellan Meridan Platinum.

John

Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor their God-given right to be stupid.--Dean Koontz

I read some reviews in magazines and on amazon.com. Then I looked at the units in a store's display. I decided on the eTrex Legend after a few weeks of research.

I liked its combination of size, price and features.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Did quite a bit of research online and decided. I needed something to put a lot of street level maps into for a long vacation (Chicago-Florida,up the East Coast and back to Chicago; 1 month).The MeriGold fit perfect. Didn't need the compass and barometer of the Platinum but wanted more than a base model. Saw the Gold used an SD memory card for expansion and that did it as my Palm used same. Went on to buy my digital camera because it used same memory storage also. Got a decent deal on Ebay that included base Mapsend software and case.

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

The yellow eTrex was the only kind offered by LL Bean at the time when I had $110 in LL Bean credit card dollars and gift certificates. My only regret is no maps, which I might use once or twice a year when on vacation.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Other: all of the above.

I read eveything I could find, articles, reviews, user comments, and talked to everyone at work.

Once my selection was down to a few units, I began looking at retail stores. I couldn't always find the exact unit, but if you find one from the same series, it'll have the same buttons, size, and shape.

Final choice was between Meridian Platinum and Garmin GPSMAP76S. Chose the Garmin - couldn't say for sure what the final factor was...

-Bob