When hiding a multi, do you...

ChiefPig

I usually start somewhere in the middle...

icon_wink.gif

Just kidding. Technically, I've only created one multi-cache, and I went last to first. Although I certainly agree with Dru Morgan about double checking the accuracy.

Pan

Fact is that there is nothing out there you can't do,

Yeah, even Santa Claus believes in you...

Floyd of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, from "Can You Picture That?"

On the only multi I have hidden so far, I spent about 2 hours in the area, finding and waypointing multiple hiding spots, and "mapping" the area. The area has a small creek, and I wanted to lay out the cache order in such a way that the "smart" cacher would only have to cross the creek twice, while the "fast" cacher will probably cross the creek three to four times. After I had an idea of possible hiding spots, I went back and worked out cache order from the hiding spots I had found.

I'm in the process of setting up another multi, and am following the same method again.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Texas Geocaching

In this order

Last to first

First to last

and again first to last

I take waypoints on all three trips and average them together.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

I usually vist the area several times and mark likely locations. After I've found a good spot for the cache itself, I'll decide which intermediate points to use and in what order. That way I can direct where finders are traveling and help set the length.

Hiding a quality cache is much harder than finding them. You could always just do the drive and drop route but I applaud the effort you're taking to make things a little more challenging and rewarding.

I typically put 8 to 10 (or more) hours into mine - of course that's because i'm anal and there are usually a lot of ways to go off track on my multi's. I've got about 7 more in the works that I'll get around to finishing by spring.

The walk 200 feet and find a gladware box full of wet paper caches are losing their shine for me.

Geesh, I'm starting to sound like a cache snob already.... icon_rolleyes.gif

"We have such sites to show you..."

I have sorta the opposite problem...

The is an abundance of great places I know of from Hiking, Jogging & Hashing, but I haven't had time to acquire all of the containers, logs, contents, waypoints, etc. to actually place them.

I'm starting to at least carry my GPS more and mark waypoints when I find a location that's ideal.

But I'm a bit busy trying to find caches and keep up with chores & such.

Yeah, I have the opposite problem. Most of the trails I know, I know from mountain biking. And when you are mountain biking on single tracks, you kinda have to keep your eye ahead of you and on the trail just to make sure you don't plant yourself into a tree or onto the ground after hitting a big root or a fallen log. So even though I know the trails very well, I have to walk thru them to look for good hiding spots off the trail.

This Multi is the only one I have done. Planted the cache and then split the coords between a couple caches.

Fun part is that they are all night only caches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I have hidden one - and am planning at least another 2 in the near future. And to be honest I don't remember how the hell I did it. I had ideas for what I wanted the first the legs to be like - and I also knew the places I wanted to hide them - so I adapted my ideas to meet the places and then went from there (if that makes any sense).

I know for one of my new ones, it is going to be in a preserve, so that will take some scouting and finding cool places and then maybe deciding the order to place them in. This one may be a bit more traditional in nature.

So many caches, why am I on the forums?

Neither. My first multi was a night cache, I spent time at the area, looking at site lines, terrain features, and the routes of existing paths to map out a layout so night-cachers lights wouldn't shine toward residences on one side (small area).

So the route was devised via pen and paper, then I placed it start to finish.

My next one (also a night cache) was more akin to a traditional multi, I think I placed it: #7, #1, #3, #2, #4, #6, #5.

The locations were designed so bush-wackers who shoot to nearest waypoint would have the hardest terrain and nastiness (mud/water). Take 'em in order and there are paths near your route (not that you'd necessarily find 'em in the dark, but it's the thought that counts!) Heh..

hth,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Hide them from first to last or do you backtrack and do it from last to first?

When I hide them? Doesn't really matter, since I've already figured out all the stations ahead of time. Pre-planning. So the order I actually hide them in is totally irrelevant.

Now, when designing the multi, it depends. If I should happen across some place that would be perfect for hiding a small pod containing coordinates, then I would then start looking around to see if there's a good place nearby for an actual cache. Or if I find a good hiding place for a cache, but it too easy a find, I may look around for a way to make it a more interesting multi-stage cache.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

First to last.

I travel the stages on two separate days, getting ten waypoint fixes at each one on each day, then verify on another day as I actually place them.

I do traditional caches the same way, just with only one stage....

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)