Another Rule Needed

There are far too few new rules posted. I think we need one regarding how many spaces should be left after a period in posts. Anyone not leaving two spaces after a period should have his/her most recent find deleted. There should be no appeal. Those "one spacers" need to conform. Period. (space, space)

"I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once." - Daniel Boone

Trolling bait must be getting short supply these days!!! icon_frown.gif

I think we need a rule that no new rules may be suggested by anyone who is not a paid-up premium member with at least 100 finds and a collection of at least 75 McToys and a Garmin GPSr! icon_eek.gif

Now that is how you troll.... icon_biggrin.gif

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

and i wouldn't mention it, but apparently spelling isn't a concern, either.

Nor, it would seem, is proper capitalization! icon_biggrin.gif

I always use two spaces after ending a sentence, but I've noticed that InfoPop truncates it to just one space. Or am I just crazy? Wait, don't answer that.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Now that is how you troll....

Well said, I kneel humbled at the feet of the master. Oh yeah another new rule, no pointy sweat pants in avatars. icon_smile.gif

"I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once." - Daniel Boone

Geo, I used to be a die-hard two-spacer also. And then came along HTML. HTML doesn't recognize two spaces. This probably has something to do with Lep's observation that one space is truncated.

I would type with my double-space bar habit, even though I knew it did no good. My turning point came in English Composition class.

According to the MLA, either one or two spaces is acceptable. You can check it out here.

Jamie

HTML? You mean all my well-spaced spaces have been truncated after every period and question mark? All these posts and my voice had not been heard in the right context? Do you know how much meaning is lost in translation? It's not just about the spaces either; it's about my freedom of speech. When I say something it’s important dammit! Even the lack of saying anything like a space is important. This is just too much. I have sit down. No, I have to stand up. Stand up for what I believe in. This is too important to let pass. So I quit. That’s right, I quit. I’m going to pull my caches and go home. If that doesn’t change things I’m going to pull everyone else’s caches too and they can go home and wack their space bars until the spaces come back and the cows come home.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Go to Ask Jeeves and use Why space-space is a no-no.

Briefly, the space-space was to accomodate monospaced typsets i.e. mechanical typewriters... remember those?

Anyway, these days, space-space isn't really a required ettiquette. With justified text on today's word processing applicationsk the space-space will be reduced to just a single space.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Geo, I used to be a die-hard two-spacer also. And then came along HTML. HTML doesn't recognize two spaces.

That's not quite true - the spaces are there (look at the source for the page). There's a very good reason for concatenating whitespace (spaces, tabs, newlines [carriage returns]) - it allows you to format your source code in a way that makes it readable and easy to work with while editing.

If you want multiple spaces, you can either use the <pre> tags or HTML entities, such as  . I don't know if infopop will strip out the examples I'm using, but here's a couple of words separated by multiple spaces: one       two

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

I don't think this new rule proposal goes far enough.

I think the rule should be that a carriage return should follow each period.

Just having two spaces doesn't do the job.

With some fonts it's hard to tell the difference between one and two spaces.

A carriage return more clearly delimits the sentences.

This works with all fonts.

And all browsers.

Except for the rare case when it doesn't.

But we are ignoring those today.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"