Newbie Status

Yeah, I don't like the term newbie either.

I prefer n00b

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:
Originally posted by Renyoldman:

So when is a cacher no longer considered a Newbie? Is it when they finally lose their car?

I think its when they STOP losing their car! icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I think it's different for different people. It might be when you get to the area of a cache, look around and "know" where the cache is hidden. And it is.

It might be when you finally understand just because your GPS says its RIGHT HERE, and the cache is 20ft away, you might not be right, and the hider might not be wrong.

It's when you stop thinking that just because you couldn't find the cache, it HAS to be missing.

It's when you stop thinking you're a newbie.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

So, by the rational expressed by Mopar, there should be no more negative references to people who post thier concerns and opinions when they "only" have ten finds.

-----

And when you are experienced enough to know that people who have been doing something alot longer then you just MIGHT know a little bit more about it then you.

When you understand that just because someone here doesn't agree with you, they probably aren't out to get you.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on March 29, 2003 at 03:44 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Seriously, I think it's different for different people. It might be when you get to the area of a cache, look around and "know" where the cache is hidden. And it is.

It might be when you finally understand just because your GPS says its RIGHT HERE, and the cache is 20ft away, you might not be right, and the hider might not be wrong.

It's when you stop thinking that just because you couldn't find the cache, it HAS to be missing.

It's when you stop thinking you're a newbie.

I am not one anymore therefore I know...

Signed: Grasshopper

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

And when you are experienced enough to know that people who have been doing something alot longer then you just MIGHT know a little bit more about it then you.

Seriously I agree with Mopar.

In jest tho:

When you have more finds than ........., oops scratch that.

When you have more posts than ___________.

I am still a newbie. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

Well, I think you are no longer a newbie when you smell your way to the cache.

Another thing I thought of, if they can teach a dog to smell a tenth of a gram of Cocaine hidden in the rather violated back seats of some guy's 86 Corolla (like you see everyday on COPS); why couldn't you also teach a dog to sniff out tupperware, and McDonalds happy meal toys. Man, that would be a great geocaching dog.

quote:
Originally posted by rockhopjohn:

Another thing I thought of, if they can teach a dog to smell a tenth of a gram of Cocaine hidden in the rather violated back seats of some guy's 86 Corolla (like you see everyday on COPS); why couldn't you also teach a dog to sniff out tupperware, and McDonalds happy meal toys. Man, that would be a great geocaching dog.

You have a great dog!! Bubba

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

Somewehre around the time you have a few finds, remember to mark the car as a waypoint, pull your first tick off, hide a cache, post a comment or two in the forums, remeber to poke first with a stick, find out the cache is near homeless, realize your gas bill is more than your GPS cost you. Somewere in there you stop being a newbie.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:

icon_smile.gif I've answered this one several times. I no longer felt like a newbie when I found myself answering more questions than asking them.

Don't wear that as a badge of honor ... many seemingly authoritative posts have been written by people who have trouble finding their way out of walk-in closets, if you catch my drift. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Don't wear that as a badge of honor ... many seemingly authoritative posts have been written by people who have trouble finding their way out of walk-in closets, if you catch my drift. icon_wink.gif

Whew! Can't mean me, I don't have a walk-in closet!

quote:
Originally posted by rockhopjohn:

I always take my dog to find caches my mother has hidden. She knows what "find where grandma went" means!