loose change

The Weasel

I was wondering if anybody else has run into caches that seem to be turning into a regular piggy bank.

I came across a cache this weekend that must of had 3-4 dollars in change. I will admit that I placed 50 cents in there, only because I did not plan to go caching that day, and went with somebody who stopped on a whim.

After I contributed to the "piggy bank", I felt pretty bad a cheap. Has anybody else run into a retirement fund while out caching? I can see maybe leaving a Susan B Anthony or a Sacajawia(sp), but not pennys, nickles, and dimes.

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

maybe they're UNICEF caches...

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

I HIGHLY doubt thet are unicef caches. Trailer park cache maybe, but UNICEF, I think not.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29605&log=y&decrypt=

Last summer I was goecaching with my nephew (6 years old). We had stopped at the dollar store to get some trinkets to place in the caches for that day.

On the trail, my nephew had second thoughts about the newly-purchased trinkets, having chosen stuff that he would have wanted himself. When we got to the first cache, he decided that we should put a dollar (in change) in the cache so the next kid could go to the dollar store and buy exactly what he/she wanted. He pulled out $0.73 and I covered the remainder. This was a significant contribution for my nephew and I found his toughts and actions quite interesting for a 6 year old.

I guess what I am trying to say is that what may seem to be a "trade down" or perhaps a little insignificant to we adults may, in fact, be an act of great spirit and generosity from a kid. Thus, I regard McToys, change, and such as the welcomed participation of the younger crowd; and perhaps testimony to a day well-spent between a child and adult.

My 2 sense,

BP

Yeah and I get a lot of state quarters. I made a maintenace visit to a cache of mine. When I placed it it had some interesting stuff, including collectible coins like Sacagaweas, Indian head pennies and buffalo nickels and a Kennedy half.

Last time I visited it, I found $3.50 worth of state quarters and of course all the interesting coins were gone. I realize some people collect the state quarters, but they are quite common and does a cache really need a half dozen Connecticut quarters?

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Yeah and I get a lot of state quarters. I made a maintenace visit to a cache of mine. When I placed it it had some interesting stuff, including collectible coins like Sacagaweas, Indian head pennies and buffalo nickels and a Kennedy half.

Last time I visited it, I found $3.50 worth of state quarters and of course all the interesting coins were gone. I realize some people collect the state quarters, but they are quite common and does a cache really need a half dozen Connecticut quarters?

_A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away._ -Barry Goldwater

AMEN!!, but I'm talking pennys, nickles and dimes. Not the cool Buffalo nickles and mercury dimes. Heck I would even settle for a wheat penny. But nooooo, this all circa 70-90's garbage.

I almost feel bad about it. icon_smile.gif I don't normally carry trade items any more... one of Treasure Hunter's "E. Oregon Wood Burl" keychains was in a cache... and I just had to have it icon_biggrin.gif a dollar bill was the best thing I had.

At least you can track them at wheresgeorge.com icon_razz.gif

Speaking of which, I got a wheresgeorge dollar in my change at Safeway the other day... unfortunatly I spent it and have no idea where, because I wasn't paying attention. It might have been at the beer.. party? beer. Mmmm. Oh! *staggers* beer? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

Now if only we could figure out a way to pay for our bills with dirty golf balls and motel soap bars.....

When I first started (back in January) - I was leaving sleeves of new golf balls. Some folks have left balls that look like they were stolen from a nearby driving range. It's silly (although judging by how many balls I lose while playing golf - I should have grabbed every loose ball I could find!).

I've seen folks leave old broken matchbox cars in trade. From my perspective, if you don't have something interesting or worthwhile to trade - just TNLN.

I guess the value's always subjective. I try to leave something that I'd find useful, interesting, cool, or unique if I came across it. Certainly doesn't have to be something valuable but it makes me happy to see someone log a cache and mention they took something I'd left behind!

I just picked up some Camaro convertible models to leave in some of the larger caches I come across (they're big and will only fit into a 50cal ammo can). They'll make some 6 yr. old a very happy kid indeed!

quote:
Originally posted by The Weasel:

I was wondering if anybody else has run into caches that seem to be turning into a regular piggy bank.

Yes, Ive seen some of this caches. If I have other items to leave Ill usally trade it out, once I found a bag of pennies. The person who left it had put them all in their own ziplock baggie and put a post-it in there that said "26 cents". Im not sure what that was all about icon_confused.gif They were just circulated lincoln memorial "pocket change" pennies...

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I don't think anybody is complaining about leaving change in a cache, but more so the fact that some caches seem to fill up with the stuff. You try to start a cache with interesting and varied items and in 3 months it's got nothing more than $1.43 in change and a few broken McToys.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

What I don't like about pocket change is the feeling of buying the trade, "took multitool, left two quarters." Oh, that's a fair trade.

We've taken to asking for "please, no common pocket change and think about those that come after you." Hate to have to be blunt, but I don't feel it's our job to keep stocking the cache with goodies just so some people can come along and trade with junk.

Maybe, people just don't have a sense that they're trading with another person--which is what they're really doing.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I'll put a box in the woods, and you all can come by and throw in all the nickels, dimes, pennies and quarters you want, from any year they were minted. I'll clean it out on a regular basis and fill it with tradeable trinkets. Just make sure you fill it up to the top, ok? Don't carry that extra weight in your pockets, leave it in my cache. I'll go get a cup of coffee, a snack, or a soda with it after my maintenance visit. No problem.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.