Hellllloooooo?

Cat'N'Geo

I don't think my inlaws get the idea of geocaching.

I routinely cross state lines to go to a unknown city/forest to find something the size of a box of matches, for fun.

So when they say to meet them at a locally well known resturaunt, in a town I lived in, with them there, they give me explicit street by street directions.

(sigh)

Frankly I am sitting here in a big puddle of Not Getting It.

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

They simply do not realize that you are a navigational god. Do they have trouble finding the remote?

?

What has finding the "remote" have to do with anything? I know my GPS backwards and forwards. I can dead-reckon with the best of them...and i STILL can't find my remote 90% of the time.

GPS is science, it's real. Remotes are ethereal...part of Harry Potter's realm. - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

They simply do not realize that you are a navigational god. Do they have trouble finding the remote?

?

What has finding the "remote" have to do with anything? I know my GPS backwards and forwards. I can dead-reckon with the best of them...and i STILL can't find my remote 90% of the time.

It's not finding the remote that's the problem, it's figuring out which remote to use. I look on our entertainment center and there's four freakin' remotes. One for the receiver, one for the VCR, one for the DVD player and one for the TV. Four different brands because - eh, I don't know why.

Webfoot frog.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. Wish I'd brought my GPSr with me this time.

Does anybody still remember television before remotes were invented, or am I just showing my age- ah, wisdom? That was back in the days when TV reception was just fine with a couple of rabbit ears. Now you pay for cable or you get nothing but snow. icon_mad.gif

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

Does anybody still remember television before remotes were invented, or am I just showing my age- ah, wisdom? That was back in the days when TV reception was just fine with a couple of rabbit ears. Now you pay for cable or you get nothing but snow. icon_mad.gif

Yup I also remember the plyers needed to change the channel, because one of us kids broke the knob off.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
sept1c_tank wrote:

I remember when there was just one channel, and it signed off after the late show!

Me too. Well, actually, we had two channels -- 2 and 6 -- but they were both the same. Back then it was "hey son, turn down the volume please".

Life was so much simpler in those days.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

What's with the TV manufacturers? If they put a button on the TV, and then that button is pressed, a beep sound is emitted from the remote making it easy to find. It just seems so simple.

If they did that, they'd have to take a device (the remote) that only transmits IR and add the capability for receiving radio waves. It'd also have to be always listening for that beep signal, which would drain the batteries a lot faster than just sending an IR signal whenever you press a button. I only have to change the batteries in a remote every couple of years. I'd have to change them every few months or so if that feature was implemented. I agree that it'd be handy; I just don't think that it'd be worth the trade-off of more batteries and a higher cost.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

What's with the TV manufacturers? If they put a button on the TV, and then that button is pressed, a beep sound is emitted from the remote making it easy to find. It just seems so simple.

That means I would have to actually get up and walk over to the TV to press the button. Forget it! icon_rolleyes.gif

One thing about my stage name, when people refer to it incorrectly, is that they generally capitalize the 'z'...

It is definately a small 'z', and it makes a difference. I can almost understand it when people write it out 'Zuuk', but often I see 'CanadaZuuk'.

It's all lower case. Since I reject the theory of origins as popularized by Charles Darwin, it seems that I am less evolved.

And the topic is Helllllooooo?

And I return with.....

Hello! How are ya?

Actually, it sounds like a superiority complex issue. Or it could simply be they don't want to feel useless and also like to show off their knowledge of your area. Or its just a simple control issue.

Just snort... or sneer.... or simply comment and say... yah... like I really need that.... or ignore it. In-laws are in-laws and they will always grate on the other's nerves somehow.

Cheers!

TL

P.S. If you want it on topic, get the topic title right.

quote:
TotemLake wrote:

Actually, it sounds like a superiority complex issue. Or it could simply be they don't want to feel useless and also like to show off their knowledge of your area. Or its just a simple control issue.

Wow. That's too deep. Even for me. icon_wink.gif

quote:
TotemLake wrote:

P.S. If you want it on topic, get the topic title right.

Ya right. At least the topic title wasn't "Hi". icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think it was a control issue, but then again all I could think of was "Hellllloooo? what are you thinking?"

As for the remote finder concept Curtis Mathis for one year made a TV that did that. The pulse signal was done with ultrasonic signal not RF, just like the first 5 pound "clickers".

I finally saved up enough for one, just as the last one in two states was sold before I could get there.

As far as topic policing goes, just relax, the electrons recycle, ok?

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

I've got a collection of remote controls. Tv, DVD, VCR, Amplifier........ Each one does something different. I even have remote controls for the tower fans, one for the vehicle, oh my how simple is life now that we have all of these really cool infrared beams dancing around the house.

I can remember how the weather effected the tv reception and arguing with my sisters on who would get up to change the channel.

Be patient with the inlaws my friend--I'm sure giving directions are not the only thing they get into detail about. I would bet to say that their lives are very structured. good luck

In-Laws or Outlaws we still love them for what they do.

"I cache; therefore I am"

Yah I suppose, just one of those things that hit ya funny and grate on your nerves at the wrong time.

As for inlaws, I got a good deal, and can't complain, mostly.

The wife is pretty nifty too, she huntsa tupperware just like me!

Even lets me play with the remote too!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

I have a friend that does that to me. Wants to give explicit directions like take a left at the rock that looks like a bear and when you get to the bear that looks like a rock go right, til ya get to where there used to be a barn..... I wave my GPS in his face and say GOT IT!

And I remember black and white TV, we finally got color and my sister had fun with a magnet on the screen the first day. Luckily Dad worked for the company and got another. Never put a magnet on your TV screen! And we had to get up and walk clear across the living room to change a channel and there was no fighting over what to watch, because only a few things came in clear and there was only one TV in the house.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.