Motorcycles

geoace750

I usually try to cache with my young sons (8 and 10) as they are the primary reason we started caching. When they were younger, BG (before Geocaching) we'd often go for hikes in the local preserves - was a lot of fun even when they were being potty trained - "Hey Mom, guess what I got to do in the woods today!" Geocachiung was a natural expansion of that. Other times I will sneek in caching before or after work especially if I am traveling.

On some occasions when I won't be wearing work clothes and can take my bike, I will. I use a RAM mount on my handlebars and unlike when I am in the "cage," I don't enter waypoints, etc while riding. Outside of not getting as nice a viewing angle as I'd like, no problems. I almost always have my GPS with me on my bike rides even if not caching because I tend to explore more on my bike than when driving my cage. I have a horrible sense of direction.

George

1976 BMW R90 /6 Luftmeister fairing and Krauser bags.

1970 BMW R75 /5 Fell down and went boom

1999 Audi A6 Avant a great Geowagon!

In one of the threads, it asks about using the bike mount for the etrex. I use my vista on my V65 and my 4 wheelers. never have had any trouble with the exception of loose battery springs on my basic etrex, a little tweak and no more problems. BIG hint, when you get pulled over, don't go the gps max speed when the officer asks how fast you were going, he will take your GPS reading just fine and ticket you according to the xxx.x MPH!

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

A few of us from the Wisconsin Geocaching Association ride our bikes while we cache.

There is an added degree of difficulty trying to pack your maps, goodies and GPS on your bike. Some stick the GPS in their pocket (me), others use a handlebar mount or stick it in the map holder on a tank bag.

I find myself making frequent stops to check the maps and gps. Parking can often be a challenge. I dont have a park sticker on my bike, and soft ground is a problem for the kick stands.

Here is a photo of a few of us on a Labor Day Geocaching trip. We logged about 8 caches and traveled over 200 miles.

boys+with+bikes.JPG

Pictured are Jeremy by his Nighthawk (Left), Me by my Honda CM400T (center), and Steve by his Goldwing (right).

>

I finally figured out how to mount my Vista to my 94 CR250, AND keep it safe in the event of a crash. I use the Garmin bag for a gps12, and run nylon strapping around the tank, and through the belt loop on the gps case, then run a zip tie through the loop and around the gas cap to keep it from sliding down the side of the tank. It works GREAT!! If I wreck, the GPS should be fine, as the bike usually doesn't get tagged between the tank and seat (if it does, I will prolly be too dead to care about the vista). It was great for determining top speed on the CR, also, my gps was perfectly scratch free at the end of the day. I hope to cache with it before too long. So far so good!!

I rode my EX500 when I went caching on weekends until last December when my husband wrecked it. After 2 surgeries and a year, he's finally up and running again. The bike should be fixed this spring and I can't wait to ride it caching here in PA. The roads are great for bikes. Much better than LA freeways!

We do it all the time when on rides and the weather is nice enough. We put on 15500 miles on our Goldwing this year and collected 250 of our 354 caches while riding. We are from Wyoming with a riding season of maybe May to September. The rest came from off road vehicles or the occasional road trip in the car or SUV. Our Garmin GPS III velcros and mounts right above our diplay (1800 Goldwing) and guides us on our way. Then we stop and hike over if it is not driveable or on a dirt or gravel road.

Tried it last week. Stuck the GPSR in the map pocket of my tank bag. Worked quite well. Be very careful when looking at your GPSR while riding. I had to make a concious effort to give the the task at hand (riding) my full attention since I just got my GPSR.

Also, If you have a tank bag with magnetic mounts and a GPSR with a magnetic compass, turn it off. icon_wink.gif

I did a few this summer on my motorcycle. Most trips were very pleasant, but this one was one that I'll remember for a long time icon_frown.gif I guess that's to be expected if you ride long enough.

I have my Garmin V mounted on my Vulcan 750's handlebars with a RAM mount. At first I had problems with the V shutting off with vibration, but I cut off a piece of a business card and slid down between the batteries and haven't had anymore problems. From what I've read on the forums, that seems to be a common problem with the Garmins.

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left

I've gone on a few caches with both my Gold Wing, see group picture above, and on my Yamaha 650 Maxim. Obviously the GW is the better of the two given the amount of storage it has. However, I get a bit nervous about leaving it in a wooded parking area for fear of it being vandalized. But when you can get a group together, like the picture of Grousetales, Jeremey and myself, it really makes for a fun outing getting to enjoy both hobbies and some friendship to boot!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I just took up geocaching and have not yet tried it on my motorcycle ('02 Gold Wing). I have, however, used my Garmin V on an 8300 mile 4 week motorcycle jaunt around the US this past summer. It performed almost flawlessly.

I am a year-round rider, but will probably wait until spring to go geocaching on my bike. For the two finds I have had this year, it was sure nice to get back to a warm car after hiking in the woods! I am located in the Northern Virginia area and we sure have had some pretty miserable weather lately.

I have done only two caches on motorcycle, but enjoyed it. Imagine riding at 65 MPH and pulling the Garmin out of your pocket, not easy. I had a basic idea of where I was going, but did stop to look at my map. When I stopped, a nice Texan pulled over to help me (I don't need no help! And I NEVER get lost either!) A nice ride on a summer day. I do plan on cyclecaching more this summer, if anyone wants to ride in SE Mass. X