Am I being too picky?

CT Trampers

One of our caches is a multi. In order to find the final cache, one must find two other caches, each containing 1/2 the coordinates to the final cache.

A cacher logged a find after only finding the first part of the multi. I did not delte the log, but sent the following message to the cacher:

"Hello XXXX-

Saw your note on the "XXXXXXXX" cache.

This being a three part multi-cache, you are not supposed to log a find until all three parts are found. I have made a note of this on the cache page today, 11/18 for future cachers. Will not delete your log, just wanted you to know. I don't mean to be nit-picky, but it is unfair to the person who spent the time and energy finding all three.

Happy Geocaching-

XXXX (Of Ct Trampers)

Am I being to picky? It seems to me that the cachers should have just posted a note, not a find.

quote:
Originally posted by CT Trampers:

Am I being to picky?

<>

No you're not.

quote:
Originally posted by CT Trampers:

It seems to me that the cachers should have just posted a note, not a find.

<>

Exactly. They seem to be new to caching. Maybe another you could send another note asking them to delete the find log until they finish the cache.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

You are not being too picky. I'm the one that logged the note after finding only the one part, but I had to, because I put a Travel Bug in there. As soon as you e-mailed me I changed it to a no find but still had to post a note because of the travel bug. I'm still going to find those caches, it's just been really busy and the Bryno who is my usual caching buddy is busy going back and forth to Vermont right now making multiple trips. The only reason we didn't finish that one that day is because we forgot the cache page and thought the whole coordinates would be in that first one, but they were parial coordinates and we went on a wild goose chase pretending to know what we were supposed to do with them. And another reason I haven't done the rest yet is because this is one of the closest ones to my house and I save those for certain occasions, getting the farther away ones first.

If anyone else is in this neck of the woods this is one of the prettiest spots around, so please come explore CT Trampers caches. Come to Connecticut!

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I just noticed someone else has logged it without finishing the three, you can do with them as you did to me and mention it is not a find until completed. It's your cache and if that's the way it's set up, that's the way it should be.

Cache you later,

Planet

No, you're not. The point is to find the cache, not the coordinates along the way. It was nice that you let them log the find and left it. If they are honest, they'll change it to a note and wait until they complete it before they log the find.

On the same note, I've seen some people who log finds for each stage of a multi. Good way to get your numbers up!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Planet, you can even post a note to drop the TB and then delete the note. The bug will still show up as being in the cache.

To answer the original question. No, you're not being picky to ask finders to find all the parts to a multi in order to log a find.

There is a multi in my area that I would estimate less than half the people go for the second half, but the cache page is filled Found it! logs proclaiming how easy it was.

I've personally emailed a couple of folks to let them know they missed out on the hard part of the cache, but I don't think the owner cares if folks log a find or not.

Jamie

What if someone finds the final cache without visiting the first parts? I've done a few multis where I had figured out the answers to the first parts of the cache, and had the coords to the last part, before I ever left my house. I've always gone ahead and found the first stages anyway, but I really didn't need to. If I had skipped the first stages, and just found the last cache container, is it a find?

25021_1200.gif

if you could have seen the discombobulated, unorganized, totally unprepared way we left the house to do this cache then you would have whipped me if I DIDN't post it as a no find. So I'm taking the no find, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'll be back to get this cache. And I might just wait until the dead of winter on a really snowy day, just so we can get the snow shoes out. That'll make up for that no find day!

We actually took the partial coordinates in the first cache and since we didn't have the cache page, figured well, maybe they used the same first numbers as the first part, and went off on a wild goose chase and found something that looked like what we thought we remembered from the cache page, but finally said we'd better go get the paperwork for this one. So we have to take the no find.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

What if someone finds the final cache without visiting the first parts? ... If I had skipped the first stages, and just found the last cache container, is it a find?

Yes, I think so, because the ultimate goal is to locate the main cache.

There have been a few times where I finished multicaches without visiting every stage ... at one multi, the seeker was given a choice of coordinates at each stage. If one chose wisely (or made a lucky guess), one could arrive at the main cache a stop or two early.

On a couple of other occasions, the multicaches were actually slightly defective ... the goals were to gather segments of the final coordinates at each stage, but if one had a map or was familiar with the area, two stages could be ignored from each multi because the clues/segments were unnecessary: there was only one possible answer.

It appears that this cache is actually three caches, complete with logs, but on only one page. It appears this could actually have been posted and hunted as three different caches.

My question would be why was it set up as a single cache?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against multi's. We just enjoyed a 13 stage multi last week, but it was only one cache at the end. Just curious why it's three caches and only one find.

CR

72057_2000.gif

"It appears this could actually have been posted and hunted as three different caches.

My question would be why was it set up as a single cache?"

--Yes, each part of this multi is a cache with logbook and prizes.

We just thought it would be nice to have some prizes in each stage of the multi, rather than just coordinates. If cachers only have time to do one part, they get a little reward for their efforts. The final cache has the best contents,(at least in our opinion) being the ultimate goal.

The caches could have been listed separatley, but we wanted to have cachers get a grand tour of this area, which they will if they hike from one stage to another.

If you could see this area you'd understand CT Trampers wishes to give a tour. This is over by a reservoir, manmade in 1936 or so. The surrounding forest is gorgeous with a mix of evergreens and deciduous trees, lots of streams, deer, coyote, wild turkeys, ospreys, cliffs, ledges, trails etc... A lot of it is owned by Bridgeport Hydraulic (now Aquarion) for the watershed area, but a lot is open space, some of which was just saved from becoming a golf course for the wealthy only to enjoy. There's great trout fishing in the reservoir (permit and license required) but only on one side. The other side of the reservoir is off limits. There is a Great Ledge with a view over the whole thing and you look down on the tops of the trees. I grew up right around here, this was my old neighborhood when I was a kid. I once dreamt of the Great Ledge, before I ever went there and when I got there it was like holy $***, I've been here! So CT Trampers did a good thing. one should take the whole day to explore this open space.

Cache you later,

Planet

[This message was edited by Planet on November 19, 2002 at 06:48 AM.]

But seriously, this cache is probably the most beloved in my area. It sounds a lot like CT Trampers'. It was set up by the park. It has four stages, and each stage has a regular container (fishing tackle boxes, only time I've seen those used). There are topo maps and pages of historical info in each one, plus park magnets and keychains, a log book, and cards with the next coordinates (you also need to collect the cards for the final stage). And each stage is in a vastly different area. It enhanced the hunt a lot, making it feel like you really accomplished something at each stage -- good thing, because only a few people have been able to do all four stages in a single day.

As with CT Trampers', several people logged each stage. No one seems too concerned about it, but it does make the rest of us, or at least me, think, "Hey!", especially those that only found part 1 and logged it.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut.

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

As with CT Trampers', several people logged each stage. No one seems too concerned about it, but it does make the rest of us, or at least me, think, "Hey!", especially those that only found part 1 and logged it.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Oh that! Well, that's because we're from CT and we don't sweat the small stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Oh that! Well, that's because we're from CT and we don't sweat the small stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, no sweat. But in the back of your mind, you hear, "Everyone else is doing it! Come on, those were tough! You *deserve* three more finds!". icon_smile.gif

As long as no one is faking Not Founds! (from yet another humor thread)

migo_sig_logo.jpg