Does Google know you?

I thought this was rather fitting on one of the hits:

"The bigcall has this kind of error:

RuntimeError: Maximum recursion depth exceeded"

icon_smile.gif

Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges -- Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!

- Rudyard Kipling "The Explorer"

Google knows me well as BrianSnat and under my real name. Actually a bit too well. Newspaper articles, letters to the editor, equipment reviews and 6 some years of usenet posts (almost 2,000). I had no idea those stayed around forever! Glad I never said anything I was ashamed of...well not too many things.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

You should search for your name and other personal information regularly. Here's an example of why.

Two days ago I was poking around with google, searching for some things which usually yield interesting results. I came across a text file with fourteen credit card numbers, expiration dates, verification numbers (the three digit code on the back), names, addresses, phone numbers and issuing banks. All but one of the cards was current. All of them belong to people in the U.S.; two of them are people in the military. I found them on a server located in a country which is known for having lots of hackers.

I don't know if they'd been used illegally or if the person who had them obtained them legitimately, but the mere fact that they were publicly accessible means that they've been comprimised. I wrote letters to each of the people letting them know what I found, and urged them to cancel the cards and put a fraud alert on their credit reports.

THAT's why you should search for not only your name, but maybe your credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, etc.

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

I have been on the net since before Al Gore invented it. My name is readily accessible on google. But, lately, the cache pages seem to be on the top of the list. Hmmm, coincidence? I think not!

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Yep, When I enter my Phone Number it brings up this:

quote:
positive mental health group

... MADCAP Arts & Drama: Voicemail: Also: 0121 685 6640 0121 608 2221. Full

Potential Arts, 0121 446 6829. © POSITIVE MENTAL HEALTH GROUP 2002-2003. ...

Where you all at? violent-smiley-081.gif

I sent in my $$ to one of those personal information websites just to see what they had on me.

More info was wrong than right.

Social Security number: last four digits in wrong order.

Birthday had the right year, my father's date.

Administrative discharge from U.S Navy 1972: Wrong service, wrong year, wrong discharge.

Jobs: Never worked in a machine shop in Midland Texas, it said I did.

Never worked in Bismarck, ND. (It said I worked at a car dealership there.)

My childhood address was right. Had the right grade school, wrong high school, no college listed.

All subsequent addresses were wrong. It said I lived in New Hampshire while working in the machine shop in Texas. The daily commute was terrible.

Current street address is right, wrong city. Right current phone number, wrong area code (which doesn't match the city either).

Had my most recent speeding ticket (I admit sheepishly). Two other traffic tickets were listed from cities I have never visited (they are not on my official DMV record, fortunately).

My wife wants to know about all those ex's I pay alimony to...

In short, I have nothing to fear from internet information about me. But on the plus side my supposed cyber life is far more interesting than my real biography.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".