Geo fantasy football

It is a little early for this (not for me though since I'm an addict), but I was wondering if there are any people here who play fantasy football on ESPN? If so, would you be interested in joining a private geocachers league? I would be happy to set one up when ESPN makes that available, which should be pretty soon. I figure live draft and traditional scoring, and we can debate when to set the draft. I would consider also doing a list draft if people insist on that (I personally don't care for those as much). I do want to stick w/ ESPN since the pay to play factor makes players more serious (it is around $20 for a team). I would consider using cbssportsline (also a pay service), but their live draft had issues when I used it last.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, email me and/or post a note here. I'll also bump this topic to the front once in awhile, especially after ESPN makes league formation available. If there are not enough definite takers for a private league, I'll post a public one and see who joins.

pokeanim3.gif

Moun10: Great! I'll write you down and will email when FFL league formation becomes available!

And with FFL, who knows who will be the doormat! I have had times where I thought my draft was horrible and then did some creative trading and won the dang thing! Then, I have had great drafts and my best quickly got injured!

Oh! and I'm cpruess on the ESPN football boards and service.

pokeanim3.gif

Actually, I forgot that I actually won a league last season! Of course, when you realize that I bought a 5-pack and then see how the other 4 did, you'd start rolling your eyes! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Oh! and I'm cpruess on the ESPN football boards and service.

I'm Moun10Bike there, too.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I lead the league i play in from the start till the playoffs the last two years and then went down in flames lol but by leading the league in wins i got all my money back, so didn't get the trophy but did get some mad money......... yes please count me in .............Howie57

I've had a team on ESPN's site the past couple years with just random people, so I'd be interested in a Geocaching league.

BTW, ESPN now has a new version of their fantasy leagues. It looks like it's $99 for the whole league, no matter how many teams you have in it. Your result doesn't count towards your Uber score, but you can set up your league however you want. With 10-12 people it'd be $10 or less per person.

- - - - -

I wish I could hear the soundtrack to my life. That way I'd know when to duck.

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

Out of curiosity - How much "maintenance" is required for one of these leagues? Do you tend to it each week or do you just pick your team and watch it through out the season?

E

There is maintenance involved. For example, with the bye weeks, you'd always need to make sure that you don't have players active that aren't going to be playing.

There's also the fun in trying to spot who the "next big thing" will be and get them out of free agency and onto your team before anyone else.

I was skilled enough (read: dadgum lucky) to pull off a couple of good grabs and win my league two years ago.

The maintenance is nowhere near as intense as baseball, but you can't just draft a team and ignore it for 17 weeks either.

- - - - -

I wish I could hear the soundtrack to my life. That way I'd know when to duck.

I'll keep of list of interested people and email everyone when things get started.

I saw the ESPN league manager program, but I already bought my teams and need to find homes for some of them. I figured a geocache league could be a fun option! I know that others tend to buy multiple teams too.

pokeanim3.gif

I already signed up for a league on ESPN, but would love to be in another one. The were a couple of geocaching leagues last year that were hosted on NFL.com. They were great and seemed to stay fairly competitve. Please keep me in mind if you are starting another one.

Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges -- Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!

- Rudyard Kipling "The Explorer"

I set up a mock draft for geocachers at xpertleagues.com. This site is pretty neat in that you can trade during the draft (both picks and players) and that it tracks your progress during the season and best of all it's free!

The premise is a survivor league where your weekly point totals are compared to all the other teams - if you are the low point getter you are out of the running. You can get immunity by having the highest point total the previous week though. All of the players on your team accumulate points and the best count for your total so the drafting strategy might be a little different.

The draft is done online once 10 people sign up. I set it for an 8hr time limit with a freeze (time doesn't count against your clock) between midnight and 8 am. You can create predraft lists in advance so that you don't have to sit and watch the progress. I highly recommend using the predraft option since the system will pick for you (not very well I might add) after the 8 hr limit has been reached. It also has a message system built in to correspond on as well.

It's a lot of fun and takes no actions after the draft is completed since your roster is not changeable once the draft is done. The draft can take a long time though so please only sign up if your are serious about it.

Here's the link: to the page that has the leagues on it. League name is Geocachers and the password is GPS. If you have any further questions let me know.

I have done one draft on this site previously and thought it might be a fun diversion for my fellow geocaching fantasy football fanatics. Hope to see you there and good luck!

Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges -- Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!

- Rudyard Kipling "The Explorer"

I won icon_wink.gif a geocache league at NFL.com last year that geohack from TX organized. It was FREE icon_biggrin.gif and had a pretty good setup. I also played in (nongeo)free leagues at Yahoo icon_smile.gif (also good) and sandbox(horrible/awful/don't get me started!!) icon_mad.gif

Would love to get into a geoleague again.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

NFL.com likely won't be free this year (but I don't know for sure). They have paired up with cbssportsline. Anyway, I plan to set up an ESPN league (or two if we get enough interest), but would consider joining a free one if someone sets it up. I tend to buy so many ESPN teams though (I will likely have 12 on ESPN this year plus a local money league) that I end up avoiding overloading myself elsewhere!

I am writing down names of everyone who expresses interest, and like I said, when FFL goes live, I'll send out an email with more info!

pokeanim3.gif

ESPN FFL is now up and running. I'll be sending out an email to everyone who posted in the next few days. I'll be looking for time and date preferences for a live draft and will want to get an idea of how many are in for sure so I know what size league to set up.

It will likely be impossible to please everyone with draft times, so majority will have to rule. Know that if you absolutely can't make the draft time, you can still set a list and be auto-drafted. That is not a wonderful option though!

If we end up with more people interested than room, or people who want to be in multiple leagues, I would be happy to set up another. I am also considering setting up either a private list draft (not live) and/or a public geocaching league too. I have so many teams and then got a couple of freebies from ESPN so I need to find homes for some of them!

If our league doesn't fill, I'll post the password here to try to fill it and if necessary will recruit some people off the ESPN board. I'm not too worried though, it sounds like there is enough interest.

Anyone who hasn't posted that is interested, post now or send an email.

pokeanim3.gif

Carleenp,

Do you have any details as to roster size and draft rounds? Any info how free agency works? (like transaction limits...ect...) Just curious...always played in "face to face money drafts" with friends. Man... the vast amounts of a certain "barley and hops" beverage consumed on draft day is legendary! It's great!! Last year, one of my fellow owners had a bit to much and took Joe Montana in the 15th. round!!!! What a drunken fool!!! He still gets blown Sh*t whenever we see him!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have now heard back from about 7-8 people who want in, so it looks like there could be enough to get a 10 team private league. If you haven't replied to my email please do so, even if you know that you don't want to take part! If you are just now reading this, or haven't expressed interest before and are now interested, let me know!

I'll be out of town until Tuesday or so. I will send an email out then with suggested draft dates and times (right now people generally are open but most prefer a weeknight). I will also be asking if you want to make it a private or public league. Basically, if there are not 10 by Tuesday, public could be a good idea, but people would also then need to sign up fast to avoid getting shut out (anyone browsing leagues on ESPN can join a public one, but I could note something like "join only if you cache"). We could also go private with less than 10 and try to fill it here or I could recruit the rest from the ESPN board. With all that said, I think I'll be setting up a second public league just to see who joins and to allow people to join 2 geo-leagues if they want. Things for you all to think about until you get my email!

Look for an email (and post here) on Tuesday or Wednesday!

pokeanim3.gif

I emailed everyone today that had responded to my last email and suggested some draft dates and times. Take a look.

We have 7 that seem to be highly likely to join. Need 3 more for a private league. So, if anyone else is interested, post and/or email me!

pokeanim3.gif

OK, from the email discussion, it seems like a majority want a weeknight draft and private league. BUT I haven't heard back from some of you! Please email me in the next few days if interested (whether you have been in on this or are new). I want to get the league set up this week before I go on vacation! Regardless, look for an email and offical league setting by the end of this week!

pokeanim3.gif