Do you log a cache that,s missing

jkhrd

Our team went on a cache about 30 miles from our house only to find it was missing. 2 other cachers also had this problem. The owner was notified, is it fair now to log this as a find or do you just say o well to bad for us. JKHRD

ADDED/EDITED: After you click on LOG YOUR VISIT on the cache page, there is a option to POST A NOTE.

END EDIT:

I would log a NOTE to the cache webpage that it missing, even if others also have.

If it is missing, you can not find it, thus how would you log a find?

At the same time, I would not feel the need to log a NOT FOUND, if it is missing, it can't be found.

Maybe it needs to be archived if the owner will not respond.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Servic

[This message was edited by Dersu on April 05, 2003 at 07:33 AM.]

I would log that as a "Not Found."

Logging a find indicates to other seekers that it is there and findable.

If the cache is actually missing, it should be replaced or archived, and again a "Found" log is going to indicate that it SHOULDN'T be archived.

--

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

"I saw two shooting stars last night,

I wished on them--but they were only satellites!

Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?

I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care."

--Billy Bragg, "A New England"

If you didn't find it, why would you want to log it as a find? There is a log button specifically for when you can't find a cache. It say's "Couldn't Find It".

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

and let's remember that it's very hard to prove a thing isn't there.

just because two or three cachers can't find it, it's not necessarily gone.

if it needs to be archived, it needs to be archived, but it's certainly not found.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

There is no acceptable reason to log a find, for a cache that you did not find.

Additionally it should not be logged as a note. The only difference between a note and a couldn't find, for the cache hunter, is the icon. Whereas a couldn't find is important information for the owner and ADMIN. In the past ADMIN has disabled a cache with three or more Couldn't finds. Posting a note doesn't send an alert.

If the cache is archived then it's up to you if you want to edit or delete your log. Although übercachers will disagree.

Providing wrong or miss info is irresponsible.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Personally I would log it as a frowny face. Now I did log one once but it was a little different. I found the rements of a cache. Lots of stuff scattered around as it was obvious an animal tore it up. In my little packpack I had a cachebox and logbook. So I put this replacement in there, signed it as a find and then contacted the cache owner. He gave me the thumbs up so all was well.

I hate not finding a cache. It's part of the activity though.

Log as Couldn't Find It. This tells the owner that there may be a problem. I once logged a Couldn't Find and got a email from the cache owner saying he would check on the condition of the cache. You can also email the owner and ask for more clues if the cache was well hidden.

-- I found it in the last place I looked.

I'll buck the trend here. If I find the remnants of a ransacked cache, and it's obvious that the objects I'm holding in my hand used to be a cache, I'll log it as a find.

See, for example, Escape! and Beanie's Bow Wow Box

If, on the other hand, I don't find anything, it's a not found. See, for example, Tukwila Pond Owl and Bridge the Gap V (May 31, 2002 posting)

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

If you didn't sign the logbook it's a DNF

Ahh...so if it's a micro without a log, or a smallish cache without a pen/pencil (and you didn't happen to bring one), then what? Just post a note? icon_smile.gif Prick your finger and write in blood?

On the same note...how much of a problem do you think it would cause if logging caches were similar to logging TB's?

For example:

The cache hider posts a code to the Approvers along with the cache details, and then encloses that code in the cache (either in the logbook or written in the cache container). If you want to log the cache, you hafta have the code to enter into the appropriate fields, otherwise it just goes in as a note...

This could also work well for a virtual or locationless cache, as long as the owner of the cache could approve or dissaprove finds quickly. Probably not the most popular option for those "instant gratification" types that are worried about their find totals. icon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

If I find the remnants of a ransacked cache, and it's obvious that the objects I'm holding in my hand used to be a cache, I'll log it as a find.

See, for example, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=51146 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17734

I agree with Bow Wow but not Escape.

Taking a picture of a toy and a battery is not a find.

I found a toy and a hiding spot at this one in Eugene. I didn't find it so it wasn't a find. Logical?

If I found the container and the stash note I would log a find.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

I have been on (only) 14 cache hunts, I have found 12, the 2 I didn't find, were verified missing by the placer, with only Did not finds logged after me. I see no reason to change my did not find log, I didn't find it, and if the placers replace the caches I'll hunt for them again.

If I went out looking for a cache, and I didn't find it, for whatever reason, I log a Did Not Find, and never change it for any reason.

I'm new, am I missing something?

Is there punishment for posting a Did Not Find?

what's the big deal?

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

quote:
I agree with Bow Wow but not Escape.

Yeah, logging a find on that Escape cache was pretty lame and a great example of why it shouldn't be logged as a find.

To someone who glances quickly at the page without reading the logs and sees nothing but smiley faces, they'd assume the cache is there and waste their time hunting for it. To make matters worse, in addition to Travisl's find there are a number of other "finds" on the missing cache.

At least Evergreenhiker and Weinerdog were honest, but they probably should have posted a DNF instead of a note. The DNF would serve to alert people that there may be a problem, more so than a note.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 07, 2003 at 06:46 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MTU_Cache_Spot:

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

If you didn't sign the logbook it's a DNF

Ahh...so if it's a micro without a log, or a smallish cache without a pen/pencil (and you didn't happen to bring one), then what? Just post a note? icon_smile.gif Prick your finger and write in blood?

Yes, or you could use a small twig and some mud, although clay is more permanent.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green