Would you pay?

The Weasel

Would you pay to geocache? IMHO I think the reason SOME parks are hesitant to let people put caches out is because of the all mighty dollar. I know where I'm from, they make you buy trail passes to go on certain trails. My question is this, would you be willing to buy a "pass" to geocache in parks? I would be more than will to pay a annual fee to cache, but that would also entitle me to put caches out. To regulate the caches, you could register it with the park with coords and everything. I think if the parks got a little "kickback" some of them would see the sport with whole different $$$eyes$$. What do you think?

My answer depends on how other users of the park are treated. Assume that each of the following activities is permitted in a park: horseback riding, mountain biking, snowmobiling, hunting with a metal detector, and fishing. Each of these activities has SOME incremental impact on the environment, as does geocaching, whether that impact is trail erosion, one less fish in the lake, a doot in the middle of a trail or some rocks overturned by someone hunting for a geocache.

If the park charges an entrance fee for all users, then fine, I'll pay to geocache. If the park ONLY charges a fee for geocaching, I regard that as unfair. Walk down a trail heavily used by some of those other activities and you'll know why. Caching is not very different from hiking, except for the time spent right at the cache site, hunting for the container. The rest of the time, I am indistinguishable from every other hiker, and I'm making less of an impact on the park than those other uses. If I kill a caterpillar and snap some twigs and branches while searching for the cache, I would hope that this "impact" is counterbalanced by the six beer cans that I picked up and took back to the parking lot with me.

If the only distinction is that placing a geocache has an impact, then fine, I'll pay a fee to place a geocache, similar to the fee paid to camp in a campsite or to launch a boat. But pay to hunt for one? Treat me like everybody else is treated.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

Heck, I paid $300+ on my GPS and have spent several hundred dollars to place caches and purchase trade items. So what would be the big deal about paying $10 go get into a park to find a cache (besides, being Geocachers, we don't always have to go in the front door icon_wink.gif).

But I'd be against the idea of paying more specifically for "privledge" of Geocaching. We're already paying taxes and entrance fees. I understand that NC State Parks charges $25 for a 3 month permit to hide a cache. That is unconscionable!

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 30, 2003 at 06:19 PM.]

Geocaching will never cost money. Some caches are placed in parks that require admission - but that's at the discretion of the seeker. icon_wink.gif And for those stubborn about paying even for that - there are usually alternatives to seeking the cache.

There's too much money generated from general access to a park. They'd be foolish to close it off and make it a "private geocache park." Especially since most people who place/seek a cache already are paying if there's an admission fee.

A private geocache park would never work... What, are there going to be caches every 100'? icon_biggrin.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by GRANDMASTER CACHE:

A private geocache park would never work...

I beg your pardon? I heard of a private park with lots of caches, like this one. I understand that the geocaching park also offers activities to keep the non-cachers happy while the geocachers are busy hunting micros and virtuals. Seems like a good idea, maybe I'll go there sometime.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

Pardon given. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I said a private geocache park... Not a "private park" like Magic Kingdom with a virtual cache hidden somewhere in it. There are lots of facilities/parks that charge admission with a cache hidden in them.

I do believe I stand correct in saying a private geocache park (meaning just what it says) would never work. There's too much money to made in a general admission, such as State Parks already charge.

BTW, I'd LOVE to go to that park, myself! Well, we've got Disneyland down south, and I'd be just as fine going there. Haven't been in too long - the magic of it all is such a good elixir.

Cheers!

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Why would anyone want to pay for something when we get nothing in return?

We hide the caches, we maintain them, and we pay taxes that help pay for the public parks. Why should we pay even more for a service we provide for ourself? the parks are not buy the cache stash, they are not hiding them, they are not maintaining them, but they get to collect money for it?

Not from me.

I am so tired of the government extending their hands for more money. Here in Oregon, the Forest Service and BLM sell trail park passes for use of their trails. Not so much the trails but the trailheads, where they must maintain $30,000 toilets and have volunteers to remind us to pay.

The good part of that is that I have chosen to explore the unpopular, hidden gems that I might not have gone to otherwise. Oregon has a lot of public land and there are numerous out of the way places to go (still). I do, however, painfully realize that they will soon show up, pave that paradise and put up a parking lot. icon_frown.gif

I'm willing to pay for an annual pass for all parks and day use areas. I really don't like the concept of paying for a park that my grandparents taxes built for the free use of all.

When you get down to it, you pay for the improvments to the park. You know the maintained trails you can't leave and the like. Hell if the park wasn't there you could probably bushwack, and nobody would care. Paying to build the park then paying to only use the improved parts is like paying for your own shackles.

Wherever you go there you are.

I'll be removing this cache, Don't Fall for this Englishman or his River , just because the provincial government has decided to start collecting parking fees at this park and several other ones that are 'high use'. I have a problem with 'user fees' because it is real hard to target one use for fees while ignoring other uses or services that were once provided for by the government.

quote:
Originally posted by The Weasel:

Would you pay to geocache? IMHO I think the reason SOME parks are hesitant to let people put caches out is because of the all mighty dollar. I know where I'm from, they make you buy trail passes to go on certain trails. My question is this, would you be willing to buy a "pass" to geocache in parks?

Most likely not, It is in a parks best interest to allow geocaching. It attracts more visitors(which means more money in enterance fees, if that applies), and it would seem possiable to recruit happy geocachers to volunteer to help in the park, as well as the free litter collection done by many cache visitors.

quote:
I would be more than will to pay a annual fee to cache, but that would also entitle me to put caches out. To regulate the caches, you could register it with the park with coords and everything. I think if the parks got a little "kickback" some of them would see the sport with whole different $$$eyes$$. What do you think?

I think I understand what your saying. An park could see a cache as extra work for someone else to play "hide and seek". But outright offering money to cache would be a mistake(IMO). Instead of thinking of how to allow us to use a public park for a *free*, fun, and public acitvity they will be considering how to cache in. icon_frown.gif

I could deal with a small fee (like >$5) to cover whatever special arrangements must be made (extra copies of paperwork, filing, storage, 'offical' stickers, etc), but would not pay a "privledge to cache' fee. North Carolina's $25 for 3 months seems way too much!

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

We pay plenty for parks already. I wouldn't pay anymore. Of course where I live there are forests all around so who needs a park. Now if a park doesn't allow caching there is no rule against virtual caches in that park. I plan to do some virtuals in wilderness areas this next summer. I think it makes good use of our tax dollar doing this.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

I can't see paying specifically to hunt at a park, except for a special event situation.

I can see an 'environmental impact' 'user fee' thingy for the hider, though. How much would it be worth to me? I'd have a hard time with anything over, say, $30-50.

For that kind of fee, I'd want to be able to pick up a printout of cache data at the park's HQ (maybe a beam kiosk for Palms?), it'd pay for a flyer to be given to cache hunters about environmental impact, and a free trash bag!

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know