Magellan firmware updates on web site

embra

It's a rare, rare day...Magellan has updated their web page to offer current firmware versions for download. They are using a filename format that doesn't let you know exactly what version you are downloading until you unzip the file, so I don't know what's what.

Get 'em here.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Too bad they have to act so secretive about the firmware version. Who wants to waste time downloading a version you already have? That's just another way of inflating the number of web site hits.

However, this does seem to create a track record of when they will post a new version. One generation at a time instead of incremental.

Cheers!

TL

SporTrak version is now at 5.00. It looks like this is the version needed to support the DirectRoute software coming out next month. The WEB site states the Marine version for the Pro will not support DirectRoute and is intended for Tide info, etc. I'm guessing this will hold true for the Topo and Color as well. The SporTrak and ST Map are probably still at 4.06 since they don't have sufficient memory to support the DirectRoute software.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Just updated my Platinum to version 5.12. I had to re-calibrate the compass but no other problems. Haven't messed with it much yet but the first two things I noticed was that when selecting a user GoTo, it is a new selection called "User Waypoints" instead of just "User". Also, it used to be a thick solid black line showing the straight distance from your present location to the GoTo but now it is more like a thick dash. If anybody knows all the enhancements with the update, please post them. I tried to find out on the Magellan website but had no luck. Thanks.

I upgraded my SporTrak Map from v4.06 to v5.00

But nowhere on there site is there a version history document on bugfixes and new features.

The SporTrak Map does not support the new auto-routing software so there must be some bug fixes. I'd like to know what was fixed/changed in this version

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

On my Sportrak, I'm not really a fan of the new 'User Waypoints', especially since it now appears second in the list and once I have to chose it, I have to press one more button to actually get to my waypoints icon_frown.gif

Ditto! This is a step in the wrong direction. Now I have to make like two or three extra clicks before I get to what I want. Yuck!

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Now I have to make like two or three extra clicks before I get to what I want. Yuck!

Those of us that have literally worn out keypads on our magellans (I suspect Marky's in the same boat I am) treat this pretty seriously. The number of required keypresses for "goto nearest waypoint" goes up with every firmware release.

I took 5.12 out of the house for the first time this morning and observed the same. A few minor interface tweaks (moving default input focus, etc.) could easily halve the number of keystrokes to mavigate the menus. I was planning to think about it a little and send them a note with suggestions. (Or at least a little polite complaining.)

Additionally, 4.0 for the 330 (like 4.06 for Gold/Plat) was already legit - Magellan just made you grovel for it. In the 4.20d topo box there is a CD of firmware updates that contained it. While I can't confirm it, I've heard of people that successfully annoyed Magellan into sending them just the update CD. In all, I'm glad they finally found the password to the web server to post those updates. icon_wink.gif

I have the Platinum version 4.06 and I can't say I've had any problems. Aside from the "feature enhancements" that have been mentioned, are there any functional improvements? The Magellan website used to have that information, I wonder where they hid it.

Kordite

ph34r my l33t kl1n90n 5k1ll5.

I just Markwelled myself. Found my answer HERE.

The strange thing is that all the updates mentioned are already on my unit. The miles/yard/mph choice, the Card Utilities only when the card is inserted, the save track option, all of it. It would seem that I have everything updated except the revision number.

Kordite

[This message was edited by Kordite on October 30, 2003 at 12:51 PM.]

Here's a summary of some of the new features in 5.12 (cut & paste from the Yahoo Magellan group, so I can't vouch for its accuracy yet). I've upgraded, but am still playing with it. The bold highlights are the ones I thought were interesting:

> It has to be used for the new autorouting software from Magellan

> Also corrects some SD card issues.

> Some reports about better sat aquisition.

> 49 waypoints possible for each route (it was 30 before)

> waypoints can be marked visible/unvisible

> there is a new parameter for showing the total distance to end of route

> proxomitry alarms (alarm when you near a waypoint)

> light turns on, when an alarm rings

> goto line changed

> user maps will be shown first in the database/goto-list

> goto-setting will not be lost, if unit is turned off

> browsing streets will now show the city in a different line, too

> tracks will be moved to routes in a different manor

> Rechargable Battery will be monitored better

> scroll speed on maps was increased

> tracking fixed, when you tried to track with 0.01 km, it happened,

that you got time skips, which resulted in date hops in mapsend.

quote:
Well, you markwelled yourself to a description of a version that's a year and a half old

OK, but riddle me this. . . the Markwelled post I noted said version 5.12. Magellan's website has version 5.12. I have all the features of version 5.12. But my display says 4.06.

That still doesn't make sense to me.

Kordite

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

On my Sportrak, I'm not really a fan of the new 'User Waypoints', especially since it now appears second in the list and once I have to chose it, I have to press one more button to actually get to my waypoints icon_frown.gif

I just uploaded the new 5.00 to my SporTrak Pro; the new "User Waypoints" is first on the list in mine, not second. But I still have to press one more button after that than previously,to choose nearest to "position", "cities", or "other". If I choose other, it gives me additional choices, that once picked, then show up on that same "nearest to" screen from then on. Any idea how to clear them?

On the plus side, the base map seems more accurate, at least in my area, and EPE seems better. The "total distance" field for routes is a nice addition too. And I like the "visible/non-visible" option on user waypoints.

I wish that Magellan themselves would post a list of features/enhancements, along with some instructions on how to take advantage of them.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

I uploaded 5.0 to my ST Pro last night. Before the upload I was running 4.06 and was having problems with the detail maps repainting extremely slow (it would take about 8 seconds to repaint when scrolling). It seems that 5.0 has fixed my problem, as the detail maps now repaint in less than 2 seconds.

My observations:

I run 4 detail maps, so 'User Waypoints' is actually the 5th option on the menu for me! What once was Goto, Enter, Down is now Goto, Down, Down, Down, Down, Enter, Enter. That is annoying, but I am happy to be able to effortlessly scroll my detail maps again, so I will live with it. I haven't had the chance to play with the proximity alarms yet.

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

> _goto-setting will not be lost, if unit is turned off_

This is not entirely right. There seems to be a bug such that a goto selected via select region/address cannot be cleared (even by turning off) except by a moderately convoluted process of selecting a new goto, clearing the current goto when prompted, and then clearing the 2nd goto. Or something like that, I haven't tried to wrestle with that one myself.

Otherwise, a goto selected without reference to address (e.g., a waypoint from user database) still disappears when you power off and back on.

I think the rest of the list is good.

Max

Check the detail level on the map. After the update, the map detail will be set to the default which I believe is Medium. If you had previously set the map detail to Highest, that may be why you are seeing the quicker refreshes. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by M-Class:

I uploaded 5.0 to my ST Pro last night. Before the upload I was running 4.06 and was having problems with the detail maps repainting extremely slow (it would take about 8 seconds to repaint when scrolling). It seems that 5.0 has fixed my problem, as the detail maps now repaint in less than 2 seconds.

My observations:

I run 4 detail maps, so 'User Waypoints' is actually the 5th option on the menu for me! What once was Goto, Enter, Down is now Goto, Down, Down, Down, Down, Enter, Enter. That is annoying, but I am happy to be able to effortlessly scroll my detail maps again, so I will live with it. I haven't had the chance to play with the proximity alarms yet.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

I downloaded the upgrade to 5.12 for my MeriGold from Magellans website and upgraded according to their directions. No problems. But, there is a file in the directory I made to unzip the files to called DEBUG.OUT after I did the upgrade. Anyone know what this file is or have a similar experience?

I can still get lost with my GPS, but I know where I am!

What I do not understand is that MapSend Topo has not yet been upgraded. Last spring there was buzz that there was a 4.2 version floating around but Magellan has not yet officially released anything. When asked about it now, they say that it will be awhile. I guess DirectRoute took precedence. I just wish they would post their versions on the products page.

"the future is no place to place your better days"- dmb

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

> user maps will be shown first in the database/goto-list

That's no feature...that's a pain in the butt. icon_frown.gif

I have four detail maps, so now, changing the GOTO is like this:

GOTO

(a goto is active, do you know what you're doing, mr moron?)

ENTER

(do you want a new GOTO, I mean, you just pushed the GOTO button?)

ENTER

(here's a list of all 4 of your detail maps, just to annoy you!)

DOWN

DOWN

DOWN

DOWN

(ah, "user waypoints", why would you want those?)

DOWN

ENTER

(nearest to your position, or some random location that's useless to you?)

ENTER

(here's your waypoint list, sucker!)

DOWN

DOWN

ENTER

I can't believe how BAD the user interface is now for something as simple as a GOTO. icon_frown.gif

I fully agree, Tim. The things I do the most frequently are selecting waypoints from user database as GOTOs, clearing waypoint sets from memory, and loading new waypoint sets from SD card. These operations could be greatly smoothed out by an interface redesign.

I'll allow that we may be in a minority of Magellan users overall. Nonetheless, it still gets annoying when you have to play your Meridian like a kalimba (the African thumb-piano).

I've sometimes wondered whether Magellan could implement a macro function for repetive operations that are so cumbersome to carry out. Regardless, I hope we're all forwarding our suggestions to Magellan so they have the benefit of our consumer desires.

Max

The official response I got from magellan follows:

quote:
The version you are speaking of is 4.20D.....and only adds a SD card utility for small cards and a auto detect testing feature that allows use to see what baud rate you are on. Please check our website as we will have Direct Route available soon that allows for turn by turn directions using a handheld GPS

Regards, John Valencia

Thales Navigation

960 Overland Court

San Dimas, California 91773

USA

(800) 707-9971

(909) 394-5000

www.thalesnavigation.com

www.magellangps.com

JV

"the future is no place to place your better days"- dmb

I've upgraded my Merigold to the 5.12 firmware. All seems well, except for the the arrival alarm. When the arrival alarm sounds, the unit turns the backlight on! When I'm hiking in broad daylight, I have no use for the backlight - it's nothing more than a unnecessary battery drain. They should make this type of behavior optional.

Hey 2LuknF8, I have Ver. 3.0 of MapSend Topo and called Magellan Technical and requested the upgrade. They connected me to another section and I emailed them my proof of purchase for 3.0 and they sent me 4.20D. I told them that I need the provision that enabled me to load to the SD card through the SD card reader.

Ok... got to field test the new 5.0 on my ST Pro today. Observations (beyond what my earlier observations were):

1. I experienced 3 random shutdowns... unit just powered off for no logical reason.

2. Arrival alarm (set to 100ft.) simply does not work. It never went off at all on any waypoint today.

Because of the random shutdowns, I think I'm going to reload 4.06 until the next incremental release. I'll live with slower maps (yes I'm running the same detail level) rather than have my GPSr randomly shut down.

Well, I may wind up going back to 4.06 for my MeriPlat.

1. too many keystrokes to do a GOTO.

2. 5.12 has broken the temperature/barometer display for the Platinum. It now has a blank screen with "no data" displayed.

3. random keypresses cause the backlight to turn on! Usually some combination involving the ESC key will cause the backlight to just turn on.

Once again, Magellan dissapoints... icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Well, I may wind up going back to 4.06 for my MeriPlat.

1. too many keystrokes to do a GOTO.

2. 5.12 has broken the temperature/barometer display for the Platinum. It now has a blank screen with "no data" displayed.

3. random keypresses cause the backlight to turn on! Usually some combination involving the ESC key will cause the backlight to just turn on.

Once again, Magellan dissapoints... icon_frown.gif

My meridian did this at first. You have to calibrate the compass. When I did the first calibration I had to do the advanced version (my meridian asked for it to be done, otherwise it is code 21).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Not only is a full compass calibration necessary, but the weather screen will require temperature and baromter calibration to get those features back in action. I suppose that's a Good Thing; one would hope that improves accuracy. I haven't really followed those readings to see how they look.

Max

quote:
Originally posted by M-Class:

1. I experienced 3 random shutdowns... unit just powered off for no logical reason.

2. Arrival alarm (set to 100ft.) simply does not work. It never went off at all on any waypoint today.

Hmm, I haven't had any random shutdowns on my ST Pro, and my proximity alarm works just as it always has (set to 100'). Overall, I'm happy with the new firmware, though there are a couple of gripes:

I don't like the additional key presses needed to do a simple "goto", as many others have expressed. PITA, as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't like the fact that MyMeridian doesn't seem to work on this new firmware, so I've lost my personalized startup screen. Now I'm back to that annoying "lawyer screen" instead.icon_frown.gif

BTW, I, too, had to pull the batteries to reboot after the upload (as suggested by Magellan, but other than that, the upload went smoothly.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

Am I the only one who didn't have to pull the batteries after the update to 5.0?? After the update, my ST Pro shut down properly without needing to pull the batteries. Of course it doesn't work properly now either, so...

As far as my shutdowns, my first one occurred after 1.5 hours of use. The next one was after 5 minutes of use, and the third was after 15 minutes of use. All three shutdowns occurred when I was within 100' of the goto I had selected (perhaps there is a connection with my malfunctioning arrival alarm?). I was on the compass screen every time as well.